Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] (in reply to XXX

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 12:34:20

Haithamflamenco

RE: Best way to handle Fakemenco players (in reply to Guest

Rumbaking,

I am fully sporting you, I love that you are living flmenco in the real world not just behind the PC,

woooow... tow show to prepare that so cool man,

show us the video after mi amigo,

take care

haitham

Bahrain is my country and Andalucia is my dream
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 12:49:46

odinz

nuevo flamenco means new flamenco right? I allways think of Tomatito and Paco and Camaron, because it is not the old style.

Then I think of ottmar etc as fake, and they actually do hurt flamenco..

I was invited to play at a small dinner party thing, because I said I play flamenco, and classical.. well the guests were expecting quite something else, one of them mentioned that tv sales guy who plays so bad I cant even believe anyone would listen to him, and said that I should look him up to learn some real "spanish flamenco like malaguenas" and also started talking about that movie you post pictures of... and even mexico, I learned that apparently mariachi musicians play flamenco, enlightening.

And I say also, Jason is incredible, and douchebags is an appropriate word when they do this to flamenco, my sweet art

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 13:10:54

[Deleted] (in reply to Haithamflamenco

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 13:27:59

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 13:31:08

Haithamflamenco

Rumbaking,

I have another idea to deal with fakemenco

take his fake flamenco guitar , give him the smile on the photo, and start to

SMAAAAAAAAAAAASHHHHHHHHHHHHHH itttttttttt

just jocking

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Bahrain is my country and Andalucia is my dream
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 13:37:08

Harry

I would say if he is nice, be nice.

You can always make him listen to your type of stuff. He may know one technique or one little lick that you can benefit from.

There is nothing to be gained by alienating people who are different or who are ignorant for whatever reason of what real flamenco is. It's not like flamenco is an art that is all around us; especially in North America.

I try to learn/steal from everyone.

"I'm just a poor crazy man in love with his art." Santos Hernandez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 14:27:33

El Kiko

RE: Best way to handle Fakemenco players (in reply to Harry

It may depend on why the fakemenco is fake ..beacuse he prefers it,? or because he doesnt know any better ?, maybe if you sensed an interest in different types of flamenco etc from him, then give him a listen to different palos, styles old and new and some of them may catch his attention and start him on a new path, he may even thank you for it one day , or you may get a new guitar pupil to teach,.. I wouldnt put him down for what he does, you may come off as a bit arrogant or snobbish from his point of view . someone buys a guitar it's up to them what they want to play on it. and if they like a certain style of music , of just make stuff up ( that may sound awful) thats OK , its up to them , I wouldn't put them down for it , if he wanted to learn something from you and you had the time , teach him a bit , if not let him get on with it and he may stumble across something else in some other place.
The one thing no-one mentioned is that if he really wants to learn a bit and have some flamenco friends to ask questions to , then tell him to join ...

http://www.foroflamenco.com

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 14:52:50

Pimientito

There is no law that says flamenco players cant play other types of music. If you are in the situation where you get asked to play rumbas or classical pieces or covers then I think its OK, your training in Flamenco technique will make these things sound good. I think the main thing in your situation is to concentrate on keeping your technique clean and playing with flamenco aire. I play other non flamenco pieces all the time. Do it with conviction and its not fake.

The biggest critiscim of "Nuevo flamenco" (which I agree with) is that it presents itself as real Flamenco and misleads the general public into thinking they have an understanding of flamenco guitar music (hence the term fakemenco)
Its also led to a massive amount of youtube "teaching" videos of non flamenco players demonstrating so called flamenco material that will not help students develop if they are serious about learning flamenco.
Personally I have no problem with Rumbas or Nuevo flamenco playing in my car or at a party. What bugs me is when someone tells me "thats real flamenco, man!"

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 15:23:41

[Deleted] (in reply to El Kiko

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 15:31:35

Paul Magnussen

RE: Best way to handle Fakemenco players (in reply to Harry

quote:

I would say if he is nice, be nice.

Absolutely. How many flamenco fans do you know who have admitted getting theirs start through Manitas de Plátanas?

Maybe the same thing happens with Jesse Cook. At least, I hope so.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 15:42:16

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 18:21:29

chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: nealf

Treat them with respect.

YOUR opinion is YOURS and THEIRS is THEIRS ... period ... don't impose your view on them and vice versa.

Flamenco can be many things to many people, this world is already full of enough sh!t because of people telling other people what they should do, be, feel etc .... Let them enjoy their journey and you enjoy yours, live and let live.

This.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 18:28:44

XXX

is there a reason to NOT nuke them?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 19:20:08

FredSanford

RE: Best way to handle Fakemenco players (in reply to chester

There are many things that are absolutely NOT flamenco that get passed off as flamenco. Most of us realize this to be true. While I agree once things pass that threshold criticism is only an opinion.... before that threshold its not merely an opinion, its a fact. Ottmar is NOT flamenco. Not opinion.... a provable fact. He uses the term to lend prestige to his crappy music (an opinion) and has unfortunately for many real artists made a great profit from conducting business that way.

To put this in perspective we should apply similar circumstances to tangible products. A man trying to sell a piece of plastic fruit as a real and edible one. No opinion there. Plastic vs. Real. We would all call BS on the situation. Get the plastic crap out of the fresh produce section. Thats the point.

I think.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 19:22:07

FullMetalGuitarist

quote:

The biggest critiscim of "Nuevo flamenco" (which I agree with) is that it presents itself as real Flamenco

quote:

Its also led to a massive amount of youtube "teaching" videos of non flamenco players demonstrating so called flamenco material

Agree with pimientito.

Its not about opinion. One can play whatever he wants in a way he wants BUT not to give it as another art (if you play jazz, you won't call it rock or metal)

YouTube is indeed a problem. Several years ago when I started learning flamenco I encountered many videos of that kind.
Many times when I see such I'm writing the author a polite private massage suggesting to change the video's name to "spanish style" and so on.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 19:23:23

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 19:25:12

chester

RE: Best way to handle Fakemenco players (in reply to FredSanford

quote:

ORIGINAL: FredSanford

There are many things that are absolutely NOT flamenco that get passed off as flamenco. Most of us realize this to be true. While I agree once things pass that threshold criticism is only an opinion.... before that threshold its not merely an opinion, its a fact. Ottmar is NOT flamenco. Not opinion.... a provable fact. He uses the term to lend prestige to his crappy music (an opinion) and has unfortunately for many real artists made a great profit from conducting business that way.

To put this in perspective we should apply similar circumstances to tangible products. A man trying to sell a piece of plastic fruit as a real and edible one. No opinion there. Plastic vs. Real. We would all call BS on the situation. Get the plastic crap out of the fresh produce section. Thats the point.

I think.

I hear what you're saying, Mr. Sanford, and agree with you on the 'call BS on the situation' bit but I think that being hostile towards these people is not the best course of action.

(not saying you're a hostile person - I knew a Fred once, he was a real standup guy)

As flamenco lovers and players we should strive to include and educate the uninitiated rather than sending them off thinking that flamenco is some exclusive club that only cool people can be a part of (even though it is and they're probably not cool enough to join).

Hell, when I started listening to music I was loving all kinds of crap (ie Larry Carlton) but now I can't get enough of Coltrane, Monk, Mingus, etc (sorry for the Jazz references but hopefully someone will get the point). Some people need to listen to the 'Four Seasons' before you get into Bartok.

Just my .015 Euros.

Cheers,
Chester B.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 22:06:44

FredSanford

quote:

Some people need to listen to the 'Four Seasons' before you get into Bartok.

Don't you think comparing Fakemenco to "The Four Seasons" is a bit ridiculous?

No comparison. Bad analogy.

Respect is what is necessary and its what the fakers lack the most. Ignorance is not a good enough excuse for me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 22:23:06

BarkellWH

quote:

Respect is what is necessary and its what the fakers lack the most. Ignorance is not a good enough excuse for me.

Perhaps. I have no problem with calling someone out who is performing fake flamenco, or anything else for that matter. But call him out on the subject at hand. My objection is to namecalling and tossing out epithets, as some on the Foro seem to think acceptable with their embrace of the term "douchebag" to describe those they don't like. If respect is necessary, and I agree that it is, we should show a little ourselves, even to those whom we deem unacceptable practitioners of certain arts, music, etc. Criticize the poor or fraudulent performance without stooping to the level of juvenile, high school epithets hurled at the performer.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 22:40:38

FredSanford

RE: Best way to handle Fakemenco players (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Criticize the poor or fraudulent performance without stooping to the level of juvenile, high school epithets hurled at the performer.

You do realize this is flamenco we are talking about right? Douchebag is a pretty lightweight epithet compared to most language thrown around the table at most conversations on this and just about any other subject when it comes to flamencos.

But, you're right.... we should have respect for everyone if what we seek is respect. Touché.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 23:27:49

chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: FredSanford
Don't you think comparing Fakemenco to "The Four Seasons" is a bit ridiculous?

No comparison. Bad analogy.

Vivaldi = easy listening = fakemenco

Of course he's a much better composer then let's say Jesse Cook, but my point was that you gotta start somewhere.

I don't see the connection between having respect and musical choices. If someone's a douche, it doesn't matter how puro his flamenco is - the guy's still a douche.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2011 0:20:14

Ricardo

quote:

C. Engage him in a guitar duel....which I have no doubt I will dominate...but in reality what's the point even if I show him up as being a fake

Absolutely the best choice. A- not good since talking doesn't do much....B, no good because makes you seem snobby and closed, and D no good because friendship without honesty is pointless. Perhaps "duel" is not such a good word because it implies a loser and winner, but I always feel that actually PLAYING with other musicians is always the number one important way to communicate specifics on taste and musicality and then no need to boast about ones ability as all the cards are on the table.

There was a quote of J. Mclaughlin I can't remember exact, but he says with music (meaning actually playing it with others not talking about it) we are instantly confronted by our own inadequacies. When egos break down, learning begins.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2011 7:32:00

FredSanford

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Oct. 4 2011 8:01:08
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2011 7:58:43

FredSanford

quote:

Of course he's a much better composer then let's say Jesse Cook, but my point was that you gotta start somewhere.

Start with Sabicas, Niño Ricardo and Ramon Montoya. Its a better place to start than Jesse Cook....... trust me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2011 8:02:19

Ricardo

Best way to handle fakemenko guys or any musician guy problems:

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 19:56:39

beno

quote:

When egos break down, learning begins

good and true one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 20:04:42

El Kiko

RE: Best way to handle Fakemenco players (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Best way to handle fakemenko guys

I gotta say that is a funny video , , however I dont think i could deal with a fakemenco guy in that way , I mean it wouldnt be the same if I wore the dress, would it?

good find , Ricardo

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 20:31:13
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post