Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Jesus Montoya and Ricardo Marlow new CD   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

Jesus Montoya and Ricardo Marlow new CD 

Hey guys sorry I have not been on much lately. I want to let everyone know the concert I did in Fresno California in April was recorded. I got together with ToddK and we edited it down so I could sell it. Just to give a background, Jesus (gitano from Sevilla residing in California) and I have worked together for several years, but mainly to accompany dance shows. This was a unique opportunity for us to do a concert of just guitar and cante, something we don't get to do much here in USA. We performed in a medium sized concert hall at Cal State Fresno music dept., unamplified, totally acoustic. The first half of the concert was all guitar solo, and at the end of it I asked Jesus to come out from the back and sing some Fandango grande as a dramatic conclusion to my guitar solo. Second half was all Jesus singing with my accompaniment.

Most of the CD is from the second half, but I included two new guitar solos that were not on my first disc. Since we were not close miked, the sound is totally natural, no eq or any effects. With ToddK we just cut the intros and audience at the ends of the tracks, and put a little compression, but for the most part you get a really live "puro" flamenco sound. The percussion you hear on buleria for example is all Jesus's feet and hands.

As far as my playing, I was not thinking to release this till after I heard the recording. I realized a lot of my falsetas I tossed out were stuff like I learned from Gerardo etc, what I often play without thinking. I probably would have done all my own stuff if I had known in advance it was being recorded, but most of the Taranto and Siguiriya are my falsetas. Anyway, what you get is real live playing and cante, whatever we felt in the moment. A different concert would be completely different performance, so I hope the aficionados can appreciate the rawness of it.

So, I want to offer everyone a chance to get a discount and pre-order the hard copies. They are being printed now. Jesus and I will be in Managua, Nicaragua for a concert next week (august 18th). When I get back August 25th, I will be shipping the discs out. Shipping is free for folks in USA. (Sorry the shipping overseas is $10).

The album is also available for download from CD baby. All info found on my website.
www.ricardomarlow.com

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 18:02:52

mrMagenta

RE: Jesus Montoya and Ricardo Marlow... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

We performed in a medium sized concert hall at Cal State Fresno music dept., unamplified, totally acoustic.

sounds awesome! there's nothing like that direct feel. how did you record it? I'm guessing you didn't use mic stands on stage.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 21:14:52

rombsix

Olé Ricardo and congratulations!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 21:22:10

Ricardo

RE: Jesus Montoya and Ricardo Marlow... (in reply to mrMagenta

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrMagenta

quote:

We performed in a medium sized concert hall at Cal State Fresno music dept., unamplified, totally acoustic.

sounds awesome! there's nothing like that direct feel. how did you record it? I'm guessing you didn't use mic stands on stage.

I did not even notice the mics when playing. I believe they were hanging from the ceiling, as when a small chamber ensemble is recorded. I actually did not know it was recorded until AFTER we were done!

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 21:22:48

Escribano

quote:

Shipping is free for folks in USA. (Sorry the shipping overseas is $10).

Yikes, UK postal is $5.70 to send my 2 DVD film to the US. Is that the US postal rate or is the store adding more for packing?

Sounds great though

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 21:40:47

Ricardo

RE: Jesus Montoya and Ricardo Marlow... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

quote:

Shipping is free for folks in USA. (Sorry the shipping overseas is $10).

Yikes, UK postal is $5.70 to send my 2 DVD film to the US. Is that the US postal rate or is the store adding more for packing?

Sounds great though

The cardboard box is $2 and the average to ship is about $8 depending on where it's going. UK may be cheaper, can't remember a time I shipped to UK. I used to charge $14 as a general to cover worldwide but I brought it down.

If you want the CD simon I can bill you the shipping after I send it for the exact amount with receipt. Just order normal but check "free US shipping" option and remind me in the note section to bill you later.

Or if you want, I will trade you BOTH my CD's for your El Guitarrero DVD. What do you say?

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 22:16:40

rombsix

quote:

Or if you want, I will trade you BOTH my CD's for your El Guitarrero DVD. What do you say?

Sounds like a sweet deal. Sell!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 22:31:29

Escribano

@Richard - I'll go for that deal. I'll send you a PM.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 22:51:30

HolyEvil

Is there a booklet included in the disc?
Cuz I'm thinking of just getting the mp3 downloads cuz I'm in sydney.. (and yep, i'm tight..lol)

You should release some of the first part where you played solo as a B-side/EP sorta thing =)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2011 0:20:05

Andy Culpepper

Sick. I love the samples... this is my kind of CD. Very impressive Ricardo.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2011 3:28:45

odinz

That is damn nice Ricardo....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2011 3:43:31

Ricardo

RE: Jesus Montoya and Ricardo Marlow... (in reply to HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: HolyEvil

Is there a booklet included in the disc?
Cuz I'm thinking of just getting the mp3 downloads cuz I'm in sydney.. (and yep, i'm tight..lol)

You should release some of the first part where you played solo as a B-side/EP sorta thing =)

No, it's just a digipak thing with some cool photos of Jesus singing in a juerga with me on the inside and, some bodega shots under the disc and on the back etc. I think if you download the tracks from CDbaby or itunes etc, they give you an option to download the album artwork which is just the front panel. Or maybe that is automatic now?

I asked Jesus if he wanted to have booklet with letras and translations,which would cost a lot more, and he said it was not a big deal. Perhaps in the future if we reissue the package after we sell out, I might think about doing something like that.

About the guitar solos, I did not edit/master em with Toddk because I thought it would be redundant to have the same pieces as on my previous album. I think they were Solea, Granaina/Tanguillo, and Rondeña/buleria, pretty much similar to what I recorded on Madera Sonora. I have that Rondeña on youtube like 2x so I am kind of sick of that one at this point. The Fandango and Minera are totally new stuff. Also the falsetas on Taranto and Siguiriya that I accompany are from solo material I did not play. I plan to record solo versions in the future. In the meantime....this is what I got.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2011 5:11:55

HolyEvil

Just downloaded it from iTunes.. Would be listening to it on my way home..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2011 12:10:18

love this album
both the performance and production...inspiring stuff...great find.
disc has been living in my car stereo for the last week...think it will stay awhile.
thanks ricardo and todd for putting it out there.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 27 2011 5:58:59
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post