Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Oscar Herrero or Jose Manuel Montoya DVD's for teaching   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>


Posts: 69
Joined: Mar. 30 2008

Oscar Herrero or Jose Manuel Montoya... 

Hi folks

Anyone have experience learning from either of the below mentioned DVD's?

Oscar Herrero Flamenco Guitar Step by Step(multiple DVD's starting from basics on)


Jose Manuel Montoya Flamenco Guitar in 48 lessons(a 4 DVD set)

I know a live teacher is best-the problem is there are none for about 6 hours from where i live(that i can find-yet).

any opinions on the above?

  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2011 3:33:01


Posts: 163
Joined: Apr. 11 2011

RE: Oscar Herrero or Jose Manuel Mon... (in reply to darylcrisp

i got all sets, i recommend oscar, but cost you more than jose.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2011 11:53:43


Posts: 60
Joined: Feb. 13 2006
From: Denver, Colorado

RE: Oscar Herrero or Jose Manuel Mon... (in reply to darylcrisp

Speaking from personal experience, go in this order:

  • Jose Manuel Montoya for Beginning - Early Intermediate Students
  • Oscar Herrero for Intermediate - Advanced Students

About 80% of the material covered in Monotya's 48 Clases series are pieces of the songs presented in vol.4 of the series. The other 20% are beginning technique exercises. It's great introduction to flamenco and the material is do able.

While I like the music presented in Oscar Herrero's series I would say it is geared for the intermediate / advanced student. I believe that most students would be more excited about Oscar Herrero's material but would soon burn out and become discouraged.

My recommendation would be to start out on Montoya's series and graduate to Herrero's. You will refine your technique in the paso a paso series and be able to take on the more advanced falsetas and compases.

Also, Montoya saves the 4 songs (Tangos, Solea, Fandangos, Bulerias) for vol 4. I would suggest that once you learn a handful of compases and falsetas from each of the songs that you start to practice those measures of the song in sequence. Otherwise you will most likely forget and have to relearn everything once you reach vol4. On average, every lesson will take you about 2 weeks of practice before you move on to the next. Some of the lessons might take 3 to 4.

Good luck


“Think Outside the Cajón”.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2011 18:55:14

Posts: 1837
Joined: Apr. 10 2010

RE: Oscar Herrero or Jose Manuel Mon... (in reply to darylcrisp

I don't know about the Montoya dvd
but Oscar's dvd is a pretty cool

  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2011 19:08:28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software powered by ASP Playground Advanced Edition 2.0.5
Copyright © 2000 - 2003 ASPPlayground.NET

0.046875 secs.