Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Music theory question   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rombsix

Music theory question 

Hey dudes and dudettes!

Check out this link:

One of my fellow guitar instructors on the Arabic guitar lessons website I recently became a part of, www.darsguitar.net , posted this lesson. I know that "Mary" is misspelled as Marry, but that is not the biggest issue to tackle.

He does NOT have a great music theory background, nor do I. However, he is being "brave" and posting lessons that involve having backing tracks with chords being played to accompany the melody. He did that once a week ago, and I listened to the result which was 100% wrong, and he removed the lesson. I don't know really where he's getting the backing tracks from (i.e. the chords he has above the melody, like G and Am in this case), but that issue needs to be sorted.

The question I have is as follows:

This piece ends on a G. I've learned in a basic music theory class about 5 years ago that a piece usually ends on the tonic. Being G in this case, I would say this piece is in the key of G. Therefore, I think the first mistake is that the key signature (he uses no sharps or flats - therefore, C major or A minor) does NOT reflect the key of G. It should have a sharp on F to be correct in my opinion. Am I right?

Secondly: the chords he has as backing chords - if you play them along with the melody, they don't sound like 100% crap. However, my ear tells me that the Am chord he has needs to be replaced with a D major to sound more "correct." If I were to analyze this, it seems more logical to have a G and D as chords to accompany this melody which is in the key of G, considering you'll end up with the I and V chords - this makes more sense to me than if you were to use what he did (I don't know what key he was thinking this was in, C major perhaps? I don't know if he even knows this concept to begin with), which would make the chords being used, if we think of the melody being in G major, as the I and ii chords, and I don't think that makes much sense as accompaniment chords, right?

Please advise!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 18:19:46

Estevan

RE: Music theory question (in reply to rombsix

You're right, he's not so right. (Good singer, though... )

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 19:13:19

rombsix

RE: Music theory question (in reply to Estevan

quote:

You're right, he's not so right. (Good singer, though... )

Hehehehehehe!

He's going to be pissed when I tell him he needs to take this video down too...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 19:16:02

Paul Magnussen

It would be normal to write it with one sharp, certainly, but since the tune is pentatonic, not major (doesn't contain any Cs or Fs) it's not actually wrong.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 19:31:28

rombsix

RE: Music theory question (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

It would be normal to write it with one sharp, certainly, but since the tune is pentatonic, not major (doesn't contain any Cs or Fs) it's not actually wrong.

Hmmm... That's interesting. Thank you Paul! Your input came right on time as I was about to tell him the key signature is wrong.

The question I just thought of though, is this:

Why does the Am chord sound wrong to my ear? And why does the D major chord sound correct to my ear? And how do we determine what chord needs to be played to back that specific set of notes?

I can answer these questions by just following my ear, but it would be great to actually know the science behind it.

In other words: Considering this tune is in the key of G major (is it? I mean, Paul says it's "pentatonic-" does that qualify as a key? I mean, can we say it's in G pentatonic?), why does the accompaniment of I-V sound better to my ear than does that of I-ii?

Cheers!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 19:36:53

Kevin James Shanahan

D7 romb .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 21:00:29

El Kiko

Yes the Dmaj chord would be right, THe 7th in this case is not really nessacary.
it's just going to the 5th (V) chord and back to the root.
You will many nursery rhyme type tunes with this I -V - I chords and many others with a that may have a I - IV - V - I
On a simple tune like this it is not always written with a key signature, and as you do not come across an F in the melody anyway...........
However if you did it would be an F#

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 21:20:25

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Why does the Am chord sound wrong to my ear? And why does the D major chord sound correct to my ear? And how do we determine what chord needs to be played to back that specific set of notes?

Short answer: you can't really say a chord’s right or wrong, just that some sound wrong, some better than others; or, both OK but different.

You see this in Folk Music; if you listening to the Bothy Band, for example, you’ll find they harmonise a song one way at the beginning, and then change after a few verses for contrast. This is even more pronounced in Jazz, where substitute chords are a whole domain of expertise, the subject of instructional DVDs by (for example) Joe Pass.

For diatonic tunes harmonised with triads, the melody note will often be found found in the chord, which gives limits the possibilities. But there are plenty of tunes this isn’t true of: a prime example is Yesterday, which has all sorts of passing notes.

Hope this helps.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 22:06:48

Estevan

RE: Music theory question (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

Yes the Dmaj chord would be right, THe 7th in this case is not really nessacary.
it's just going to the 5th (V) chord and back to the root.
You will many nursery rhyme type tunes with this I -V - I chords and many others with a that may have a I - IV - V - I
On a simple tune like this it is not always written with a key signature, and as you do not come across an F in the melody anyway...........
However if you did it would be an F#

Agreed - it's actually the chords that would make the G major key signature 'necessary'.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 22:08:27

Kevin James Shanahan

I recomend the D7 because a child will get thier fingers around it easier , from my experience , also I feel it has a brighter happier feel .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 22:48:49

rombsix

RE: Music theory question (in reply to Kevin James Shanahan

Thanks everyone for the input. Clearly, I need to get my mind straight that even though music is governed by theory, it will remain an art, and not a science - which means, "right" and "wrong" are hard to pin down (nowadays, even in science).

Gracias everyone!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2011 23:52:36

Estevan

quote:

music is governed by theory

No it's not. 'Theory' is just a description of practice.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2011 1:22:21

rombsix

RE: Music theory question (in reply to Estevan

quote:

No it's not. 'Theory' is just a description of practice.

Touché.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2011 4:58:01

Pimientito

quote:

I know that "Mary" is misspelled as Marry, but that is not the biggest issue to tackle
The biggest issue is that the melody isnt "Mary had a little lamb" at all. I think its called "Merrily we roll along"

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2011 8:43:42

mezzo

RE: Music theory question (in reply to Pimientito

for me Mary had a little lamb is this

SRV just have a terrific right hand! Soooo gooood!!!

But now I know an other version thanks to this foro

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2011 10:30:03

rombsix

RE: Music theory question (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

The biggest issue is that the melody isnt "Mary had a little lamb" at all. I think its called "Merrily we roll along"

I guess it's a cultural thing. That's what everyone in the region I live in knows this tune as.

Cool Mezzo!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2011 11:04:03

Adam

RE: Music theory question (in reply to mezzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mezzo

But now I know an other version thanks to this foro

I want to be that guy when I grow up.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2011 20:33:05
Page:   [1]