Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

My photo of the week 9   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

My photo of the week 9 

Just to show that one doesn't need an expensive camera to get a half decent shot. This was taken on a £25 Olympus RC film camera. Still way better image quality than all but the top digital cameras - because it is the equivalent of a full-frame sensor and that costs a lot of money in digital land.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2011 17:11:35

Escribano

RE: My photo of the week 9 (in reply to Escribano

Here is a similar shot in another laundrette with the Leica and Zeiss lens - can you see any difference?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2011 18:15:52

Ron.M

They both look good to me, Simon...

I remember my old boss in the University (who was a photography fiend) tell me that the potential resolution is as fine as the grain on the film....which must still make it pretty much better than electronic pixel elements even at this point in time, surely?

On Radio 4, there was a professional news photographer saying that these days you can shoot a zillion shots on a digital camera and review them later, relaxed with a drink in hand on the computer, but that it takes away from being totally involved and immersed in the moment and the "meaning" of the photograph as it affected you at the time.
Plus the fact you were limited to 36 exposures per roll, so you had to be discerning before you pushed the shutter release button.

And the added bonus of the anticipation in the darkroom....

Things like that make a hobby a passion IMO.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2011 18:30:24

Escribano

RE: My photo of the week 9 (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

They both look good to me, Simon...

Exactly, but the Leica and lens cost me a £1000 - one born every minute

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2011 19:33:26

Richard Jernigan

Interesting comparisons, Simon.

@Ron: I shot, developed and printed film for more than 40 years, both on land and underwater-~1500 dives. I enjoyed shooting Balinese dance performances and hunting fish. Eventually I learned to press the shutter release at the right time once in a while.

When semi-pro DSLRs exceeded 10 Mpix, I dipped my toe in digital. I don't think I would have got this image without digital-- Nikon D300, 17-55mm f/2.8--12 Mpix.

It's a tower about 50 ft high, with a huge fireworks whirligig at the top. The exposure meter was utterly flummoxed. I switched to manual mode and checked the playback after each change in shutter speed and aperture. This is the third attempt. It took maybe 15 seconds. On film I would have bracketed the exposure and hoped for the best. With digital playback I converged to the right exposure while the fireworks were at their peak, and knew I had the shot.

Film still does things digital cannot. But for me, the converse is true as well. I have blown up 35mm Kodachromes to 24"x36". I have done the same with resampled 12 Mpix digital images. Both looked great. Film responds tonally in a different way than digital. There's the romance, for me at least.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2011 2:30:46

Anders Eliasson

Nice shots Simon.
So are you doing a photo a week. Its a good idea.
Just remember one thing in your antidigital period

There is much more to image quality than the size of the sensor in a digicam.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2011 7:56:24

Anders Eliasson

Richard, thats a very nice photo. Very chaotic and in balance with the central perspective.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2011 7:59:16

Ron.M

RE: My photo of the week 9 (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

The exposure meter was utterly flummoxed. I switched to manual mode and checked the playback after each change in shutter speed and aperture. This is the third attempt. It took maybe 15 seconds. On film I would have bracketed the exposure and hoped for the best. With digital playback I converged to the right exposure while the fireworks were at their peak, and knew I had the shot.

Yeah, Richard...

That makes a lot of sense. Excellent photograph.

(There is a customer of mine, a retired marine biologist who photographs microscopic marine life and makes slides to sell to colleges and universities.
Your picture actually reminds me of some which he showed me.)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2011 8:12:20

edguerin

Of course you can tell the difference!
Both pics are great though!

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2011 17:27:42

Anders Eliasson

yes the top one is overexposed and shaky. Anyways on both photos I would use a tripod and a long exposure to get depth of field. It would make them more interesting. Keep the line going from right to left and not leaving you in the middle. I normally like a short depth of field but not in photos like these.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2011 7:49:34

Escribano

RE: My photo of the week 9 (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Thanks for the critique Anders, I would not agree that the top one is shaky but it is a tad over-exposed.

I don't use a tripod on the street for many reasons. Both shots were an experiment in controlling DOF i.e. getting one door in focus, though it might indeed look better with a greater DOF.

I'll try it the next time I am passing one of theses laundrettes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2011 9:34:55

Escribano

RE: My photo of the week 9 (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Good shot Richard. Digital is much more forgiving on longer exposures than film with reciprocity failure to consider and of course the ability to see the image on the LCD.

I am not particularly anti-digital, I would buy a full-frame digital if I wanted this kind of flexibility but I really like the tones of film, especially in black and white. If they cost the same (in full-frame 35mm and medium format) I would probably go back to digital but then I would be missing out on all those wonderful old cameras.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2011 9:43:24

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

On Radio 4, there was a professional news photographer saying that these days you can shoot a zillion shots on a digital camera and review them later, relaxed with a drink in hand on the computer, but that it takes away from being totally involved and immersed in the moment and the "meaning" of the photograph as it affected you at the time.
Plus the fact you were limited to 36 exposures per roll, so you had to be discerning before you pushed the shutter release button.

cheers,

Ron

I appreciate the battle of the past, and what it took to keep balance with good results under budgets.

Yet, the `good ol´stress with celluloid and its expenses for the darkroom ( let aside ordered development in the times before automated exposure!) are no reason for me to be nostalgic about it.

Instead I embrace the comfort and relief that the new tech allows, so that one mustn´t bother about limited number of shots and can just shoot away. Also love to just take that storage card and stick into a computer, right after the session.

To me personally the challenge with trying to keep postwork on exposure near zero is enough of sportsmanship.
-

What B&W photography is concerned, I am with a popular photograper who once said something to the extend, that there was some kind of pseudo-artistic mannerism going on that made people giving up merrits of colour.

I feel the need for capturing in B&W only very rarely.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2011 11:16:32

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I would probably go back to digital but then I would be missing out on all those wonderful old cameras.

On this agree. They are wonderfull little machines. When I compare feel and buid quality of the Olympus OM2 that I had with the Olympus E450 that I have now, there´s no comparision. Now everything is plastic and eletronics and the E450 is actually one of the better built cameras.

You dont need full frame. Its not nescessary. And, buy one of these 10,-€ mini tripods. They sometimes come in very handy when just walking the streets. Long exposure can be very interesting.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2011 11:34:52

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Both shots were an experiment in controlling DOF i.e. getting one door in focus

Ok, then I actually prefer the top one. Just one door in focus. The second has more doors semi focussed and it gives the feeling that its not really one or other thing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2011 11:37:25

kozz

quote:

Here is a similar shot in another laundrette with the Leica and Zeiss lens - can you see any difference?

Like this one the best...the doors are great

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2011 17:06:48
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote