Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: my new francisco navarro!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

orsonw

RE: my new francisco navarro! (in reply to CuerdasDulces

For others' information- here are some places to buy replacement machine tuners-

In the past I have been extremely well served by LMI, La Sonanta, Domo International and Rubner.

CUSTOM orders

http://www.lasonanta.eu
They can order Fustero to your specifications. Also have stock Rubner and Fustero.

http://rubner-markneukirchen.de/onlineshop/index.php
Order from Rubner direct to your specifications.

domointl@gmail.com
email Scott Ando, Sales Manager at Domo international. He can order Gotoh tuners to your specifications.

STOCK orders

http://www.madinter.com
Rubner, Fustero, Gotoh, DJ

http://www.allparts.uk.com
Gotoh, Schaller. Range from budget to high end (high end not competitively priced IMO)

http://www.lmii.com/
They have a wide range in stock of Gotoh, Fustero, Alessi etc.

http://luthierssupplies.com.au/index.php?cPath=24_25
Gotoh Rubner, Reischl

http://www.guitarsalon.com
lower end- Gotoh, Schaller. High end- Fustero, Reischl,
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 14:26:55

kozz

RE: my new francisco navarro! (in reply to VietFlamenco

quote:

I ordered a Student-2 Flamenco model recently. Anyone know the style this guitar was built in? Both Ron Hudson and Tom Nunez don't specify what model it is on their site. Here is a link.

They are all Santos Hernandez designs, apart from the Reyes model.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 17:04:28

kozz

RE: my new francisco navarro! (in reply to at_leo_87

quote:

i'll probably do a complete makeover and redo my nut, saddle, and buy new tuners. but in the meantime, im just getting used to my guitar the way it is.

Can you make me a nut and saddle also? The tuners I'll order myself
I want to upgrade the tuners also, but really don't have a clue about it.
Some say around 80 euros you have really good ones, and if the prices get higher its more handmade-twidely bits etc.
But they need to be black

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 17:06:53

at_leo_87

RE: my new francisco navarro! (in reply to orsonw

thanks for the links, orson! that will come in handy for future searches!

i dont really get the point of using different designs, though i'm no luthier. i bet the difference between the models is in the wood selection.

sure, i can make you a nut and saddle! but you'll have to do some fine tuning with it because our guitars will most likely be very slightly different.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 17:52:47

GuitarVlog

RE: my new francisco navarro! (in reply to CuerdasDulces

quote:

ORIGINAL: CuerdasDulces
You got those for your Yamaha?
do they make a difference?

I got them for a more expensive guitar but I wound-up installing them on my Yamaha. They just "looked" right.

I found the original tuning machines on my Yamaha to be just fine. As I mentioned to Anthony, ensuring that the grooves in your nut are properly cut and smoothed is probably as important as the tuning machines. I replaced the nut of my Yamaha with bone and had done the grooves quite nicely for all but the 4th string. This one still "catches" but all the others are smooth.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 18:01:31

GuitarVlog

RE: my new francisco navarro! (in reply to kozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: kozz
Can you make me a nut and saddle also?

I've become a bit lazy with carving nuts and saddles from blanks so nowadays I just order these pre-cut bone nuts and saddles:

http://cgi.ebay.com/classical-Guitar-Bone-saddle-nut-Slotted-8p-DJ6-3-/360298789488?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53e37b3a70#ht_2783wt_911

... or these if I want to follow Kenny Hill's recommendation of a radiused saddle (because the 3rd & 4th strings oscillate more):

http://cgi.ebay.com/classical-Guitar-Bone-saddle-nut-Slotted-8p-DJ8-3-/380227396370?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item588751a312#ht_2957wt_911

The seller, taisamlu, will usually take a Best-Offer of $10 (67% of his offer price). He might take less but I don't haggle too much with him anymore. I've ordered from him several times already.

The saddles are about 80mm wide and 3mm thick. These will (with sanding) fit most classical and flamenco guitars. I discovered that a few guitars use 84mm width saddles that are 3.3mm thick. For those, I have to carve from blanks.

The nuts are 52mm wide. These will work with guitars that have 53mm-54mm widths but there will be gaps on both sides which you might not find visually-pleasing.

I always need to do fitting work with these bone nuts and saddles for the guitars that I set-up. They may need to be sanded narrower, the saddles will need to be sanded lower, the nut grooves may require lowering and smoothing. It's still a lot less work (and less bone-dust) than starting with a blank.

The nuts will produce a string-spacing of 44.3mm (outside of low-E to outside of high-E). The string grooves in the nuts are equally-spaced. Many luthiers use equal spacing but some use smaller spacing in the trebles and wider spacing in the basses.

My saddles are always shaped to suit a guitar's nuances. This can take trial-and-error (like "Oops! The 5th string should be higher at the saddle!"). It's good to have lots of inexpensive nuts and saddles handy.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 18:51:46

malakka

The best price I found for Fustero Tuners was from Ron Fernandez Music in Irvine, California - near Los Angeles. He was great to deal with and does like to talk aboaut guitars and such. He has been selling, repairing and making instruments for a long time.

http://www.fernandezmusic.com/

Best of luck!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 19:50:58

kozz

quote:

sure, i can make you a nut and saddle! but you'll have to do some fine tuning with it because our guitars will most likely be very slightly different.

Thanks Anthony and GuitarVlog!
I do have some bones, but need proper tools to shave it to the right tickness and eveness....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 20:12:26

at_leo_87

RE: my new francisco navarro! (in reply to kozz

quote:

I do have some bones, but need proper tools to shave it to the right tickness and eveness....

you also need a space suit to protect you from the horrible smell of bone.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2010 21:15:11

at_leo_87

for those of you who are interested...
ron just informed me that the top is german spruce and the back and sides are montery cypress.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 19 2010 2:35:32

kozz

quote:

you also need a space suit to protect you from the horrible smell of bone.

You are completely tight about that...what do you recommend for powertools to make your own nuts and bridges, apart from the nut files?

This is how my FN looks at the moment, but would also like to create black nut with a whithe waving design in it.
I really love the black rollers, an it is gonna stay without soundport.

Perhaps you also noticed that the sound is really dependend on the humidity level (sometimes to much to my liking)

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2010 7:38:29

at_leo_87

nice white golpeadors!

i also really like the look of the wavy nut. i've seen it done to saddles too.

my guitars always sound better somewhere else besides my house for some reason.
i played it at a beach at a wedding the other day and it sounded fantastic. lots of projection and clarity even though it was outdoors.

if the saddle is way too large, i wear some heavy duty gloves and hold up against a power belt sander. the heavy duty gloves is important for this.

then for final fit and shaping, just a flat surface and good quality 100-150 grit sandpaper.

probably a good idea to wear a mask when doing this....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2010 15:13:56
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post