Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

classical etudes in Flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

minordjango

classical etudes in Flamenco 

hi again folks ,

have been looking deeply at some basic technique, i was looking at etude no 7 lobos , etude no 1 lobos , and el colibri.

these are mainstays of the classical rep. yet have noticed a few folks in spain play em' for the life of me i aint got the technique any one play them or have any technical advice on achieving the technique to play some thing like etude no 1 lobos , and or el colibri.

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 18:56:06

Ramon Amira

RE: classical etudes in Flamenco (in reply to minordjango

Villa-Lobos Etude #1 is an arpeggio study, that's played with P-I-M. I used to play it, but frankly I found it a little boring. It might be a little useful for arpeggio practice, but you're probably better off practicing arpeggios from flamenco.

El Colibri is the guitar version of "Flight of the Bumblebee." If you can play it fluently it won't hurt your flamenco technique. Some fast picado mixed in.

Here is an audio only, played by a famous classical guitarist.

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 19:57:58

Pimientito

Well "El colibri" is a straight forward study in picado. John Williams (and most other classical players) cheat by playing it with alternating thumb and first finger. To play it properly Sagreras indicated the right hand very clearly. You are correct though that this is not often played by flamenco players.

The Villa lobos 1 can also be a great flamenco study . I saw juan habichuela nieto using this in his warm up routine and he gets it flawlessly apoyando at incredible speed. The trick here is alternating apoyando with m and a (which Gerardo Nuñez uses a lot in compositions like trafalgar)

Barrios another good one to practise. The arabesque study and preludes are almost as hard as Bach to execute.

The only technical advice I can offer is like everything. Memorise it, play it slowly and then keep practising the same pieces every day for 3 months slowly building speed. Ive been playing the villa lobos since I was 16 and its only in the last few years that I can get it to sound correct so dont give up.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 20:00:08

Ron.M

I think "Asturias" is the closest Classical piece to Flamenco I've heard.

I saw this busker play it in Madrid.

He had a reasonably inexpensive guitar and a tiny amp that was distorting to hell, yet it was the best version I'd heard next to John Williams!

The thought of that old saying about the workman and the tools quietly came to my mind and it kinda bugged me !

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 20:10:13

Ramon Amira

quote:

I saw juan habichuela nieto using this in his warm up routine and he gets it flawlessly apoyando at incredible speed.

That is most interesting. No classical guitarist I have ever seen plays it apoyando - it is strictly an arpeggio study, and arpeggios are generally played tirando. But now that you say it, I have a feeling it would sound better picado. As it is customarily played it sometimes sounds muddy, but picado would delineate the line better.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 20:11:28

Pimientito

There are a surprising lack of good versions of the villa lobos etude on youtube.
Most of the players have arpeggios that while not sloppy are very one dimensional. This guy approaches the technique somewhat but he still hasnt quite mastered the alternation at the end of each arpeggio. I'll try to to an upload tomorrow so you can hear what I'm talking about.

...and check out the Barrios study...flawless playing.

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 20:19:16

Ramon Amira

There is debate among classical guitarists about the best fingering for this Etude, and various different fingerings are used. More importantly though, there is way of playing the arpeggios that I feel makes this piece sound better. It involves a certain use of dynamics. The way you generally hear it played there is usually very little dynamic variation, which exacerbates the repetitive nature of the piece.

However, if you start the arpeggio at a lower volume and gradually get louder as you ascend, peaking at the highest point of the arpeggio, and then gradually get lower as you descend, you get a beautiful rising and falling effect, like waves coming in and then receding. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 20:49:00

mark indigo

RE: classical etudes in Flamenco (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

No classical guitarist I have ever seen plays it apoyando - it is strictly an arpeggio study, and arpeggios are generally played tirando. But now that you say it, I have a feeling it would sound better picado.

i have seen people use it as a picado study, and play the whole thing i m apoyando!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 21:42:04

minordjango

hi folks ,
really appreciate the feedback ,

a few folk , j.taneka, several local players in spain, play etude no1 , as P critic say , the debate about finguring is weird, id love to play it as written at a fair tempo,.

p.critic re- dynamics -

what u think of this version

ana phhhhhhhhew forget the study , marry me (ill buy u a yamaha ?

el colibri , i read was played by various players and i have a recoding by serranito its amazing .

i love the fact john williams cheats !! good old john

to play either of the above with the specified fingers seems pretty hard, i.e another 10 years
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2010 22:52:56

Ramon Amira

I have seen that video. She is of course a famous classical guitarist. The problem with that video is that the sound is awful, so you can't really say much about it.

I would only add - HANDS OFF ANA VIDOVIC - I SAW HER FIRST! WOW!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 0:27:18

Estevan

RE: classical etudes in Flamenco (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Well "El colibri" is a straight forward study in picado. John Williams (and most other classical players) cheat by playing it with alternating thumb and first finger.

Where did you learn that?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 0:41:37

Estevan

quote:

[minordjango] i have been taking time out from guitar ,and purchased a cheap flute, and oud, and keyboard,

quote:

any technical advice on achieving the technique to play some thing like etude no 1 lobos , and or el colibri.

First, decide which instrument you want to play well. If it's the guitar, then do what Pimientito says in his last paragraph above.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 1:33:33

minordjango

the dynamics are great on etude number 1 from ana.

Estevan , i play a few instruments (not that well , but i just love music , so enjoy trying a few others , my first instrument is trumpet

not a lot of rh techniques usable on the old guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 3:06:19

kozz

quote:

these are mainstays of the classical rep. yet have noticed a few folks in spain play em' for the life of me i aint got the technique any one play them or have any technical advice on achieving the technique to play some thing like etude no 1 lobos , and or el colibri.

Hahahha, you always make me laugh MD!
perhaps spent more time than so every now and then 30 seconds, it'll work if you concentrate for at least ten minutes a day.

Jason McGuire had a the same etude but with different arpeggio fingering.
IMO it doesn't mather if you play this etude or just a simple E and A minor and do the same arpegios.
If you got the RH-fingering working than try to use the chords in the Etude.
The RH is not that diffucult, but to keep it in time with all the chords is a different story.

Good luck amigo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 9:41:02

minordjango

hey kozza if i make u laugh thats awesome in my book , you in spain ? let me know .

flippin trumpet anyhow , that lobos etude is used by heaps of folk , for rh hand dexterity, for the life of me could never play it ,so time to cheat !!!.

cheers all, some great comments and assistance - mucho respecto
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 9:50:05

kozz

quote:

or the life of me could never play it ,so time to cheat !!!

Ofcourse you can do that man!
Kick out the ladies from your room, and take some quality guitar time.
No reason to cheat, because....and this is the hard part of my sentence...Paco says its 90% work and sweat....

Pick a nice chord and start plaing your RH...it'll come naturally (but not today or tomorrow morning )

I should have been in Spain, 4 days somewhere on a camping near Allicante in the mountains, and than a week down south, but unfortunately I am still in E. (Although 41 degrees celcius is a little bit over the top)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 11:32:01

mark indigo

RE: classical etudes in Flamenco (in reply to kozz

the ultimate short cut, the quickest route to being able to play absolutely anything well in the shortest possible time is this;

quote:

Memorise it, play it slowly and then keep practising the same pieces every day for 3 months slowly building speed.

sorry but i think it's true! oh, and listen to it over and over again as well!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2010 20:28:20

NormanKliman

IMO, among flamenco guitarists, just about everyone plays or at least knows about the Villalobos etude, but what's far more commonly used for practice are certain parts of flamenco compositions that reinforce specific techniques. For example, here's what I practice:

For arpeggios, the siguiriya-arpeggio pattern in Paco's malagueña "En la Caleta." It's great practice to work this into a slow bulerías loop. Also, the end of Sabicas' granaína "Joyas de La Alhambra" from his "Flamenco Puro" album. Another one is the long arpeggio passage at the beginning of Paco's taranta/o "Viva La Unión."

For tremolo, the corresponding part of Ricardo's campanilleros, which can be extended with other E minor/B Phrygian tremolos of Sabicas, Ramón Montoya, etc.

For general purposes, the whole of Manolo Sanlúcar's zapateado "Los Caireles" (for p-i-m development) and a couple of bulerías falsetas of El Nani that I've just learned (for right-hand control).

I've never played them, but I think Panaderos and Impetu have been used in this way.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 7:49:39

Pimientito

RE: classical etudes in Flamenco (in reply to Estevan

Esteban - I stand corrected. Im pretty sure I read in a John Williams interview years ago where he said himself that he altered the fingering in the studio to make El colibri easier to play, but in that video he clearly uses i,m picado....so i must be mistaken.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2010 14:20:58

Ricardo

I like to work on parts of this piece as bulerias falsetas in E major. Great technique exercise and with soniquete it works well as buleria.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2010 20:27:10

Ramon Amira

quote:

Im pretty sure I read in a John Williams interview years ago where he said himself that he altered the fingering in the studio to make El colibri easier to play,

What you might be remembering is something some classical guitarists have said about John Williams "cheating" by removing notes to make it easier to play – but on a different piece, and by strange chance that different piece is the very other piece under discussion here – Villa-Lobos Etude #1. This has been discussed on classical guitar forums, and it has been pointed out that Abel Carlevaro, a classical guitarist and composer, suggested those very cuts to Villa-Lobos himself, and Villa-Lobos agreed that it was better that way.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2010 20:44:18

mark indigo

i use that study sometimes as a chord sequence to practise various arpegios etc., sometimes as a picado string crossing exercise.

quote:

This has been discussed on classical guitar forums

do you have a link to that?

quote:

Abel Carlevaro, a classical guitarist and composer, suggested those very cuts to Villa-Lobos himself, and Villa-Lobos agreed that it was better that way.

if not a link to the info, can you post it up here?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2010 21:48:17

Estevan

quote:

Prominent Critic:
What you might be remembering is something some classical guitarists have said about John Williams "cheating" by removing notes to make it easier to play – but on a different piece, and by strange chance that different piece is the very other piece under discussion here – Villa-Lobos Etude #1.

No it wasn't, it was Villa-Lobos's Prelude No.1. The passage in question is the chromatic parallel sixths in the descending sequence towards the end of the minor section [bars 33-38]. I heard that Segovia changed it because he didn't like the sound of it - which is certainly plausible as he did that with many pieces - but the enthusiastic followers of Carlevaro like to credit him with everything, and it's possible of course that it was his idea. Although why Carlevaro would change that I don't know; it's easier to play, but the original's not so hard. It's certain that players in Europe who made that change got it from Segovia, (as Carlevaro, living in Uruguay, was pretty well unknown outside South America until maybe the 1980s) and it's possible that Segovia, who lived in Uruguay for a while might have got it from Carlevaro.

quote:

mark indigo:
do you have a link to that?

John Williams simplifying Villa Lobos Prelude 1?

Segovia did, however, change a note in the Etude no.1 - he dropped the G on the fourth beat of bar 24 an octave, a musically nonsensical thing to do - to make it easier to play.

quote:

Prominent Critic:
There is debate among classical guitarists about the best fingering for this Etude, and various different fingerings are used.

Are you referring to the right hand fingering? I never heard of any debate (but then again I don't move in classical guitar circles). While the piece lends itself to all kinds of fingerings for practice purposes (and I've seen flamencos in Spain use it), the fingering specified by the composer is perfectly good for performance, and I thought that's what everyone used.

I certainly agree with this (PC):
"you're probably better off practicing arpeggios from flamenco"
..and Norman's suggestions.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2010 0:16:07

Ramon Amira

quote:

No it wasn't, it was Villa-Lobos's Prelude No.1.

Right you are. I remembered it wrong. It was Prelude #1. That link you posted was the thread I was thinking of. Below is an audio clip of Villa-Lobos himself playing Prelude #1.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2010 1:35:16

Ramon Amira

quote:

quote:

Prominent Critic:
There is debate among classical guitarists about the best fingering for this Etude, and various different fingerings are used.

Are you referring to the right hand fingering? I never heard of any debate (but then again I don't move in classical guitar circles). While the piece lends itself to all kinds of fingerings for practice purposes (and I've seen flamencos in Spain use it), the fingering specified by the composer is perfectly good for performance, and I thought that's what everyone used.

There really is much debate among classical guitarists about the fingering for VL Etude #1. Here are some that different guitarists have suggested:

P I P I P I P M I M P I P I P I

P M P I P M I A M A I M P M P I

P M I A P M I A P A I M P A I M

P M P I P M I A M A I M P I P I

I'll be right back - I have to go eat a bowl of alphabet soup.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2010 14:29:43

Pimientito

RE: classical etudes in Flamenco (in reply to Ricardo

Wow...thanks Ricardo, what a coincidence...Im working on this piece right now and the fingering is really helpful. Williams really does have flawless technique for these sorts of pieces and his Scarlatti performances are amazing.

Prom-I've always used P I P I P M I A M A I M P I P I
The trick in this fingering is to get the clean alternation of A M A but when you do its like 2 instruments.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 5 2010 18:01:33

Estevan

RE: classical etudes in Flamenco (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

[Ricardo:]
I like to work on parts of this piece [Prelude to Bach's "4th Lute Suite"] as bulerias falsetas in E major. Great technique exercise and with soniquete it works well as buleria.

Far out, man... You're like Parrilla and those old-time guys who used to throw in quotes from Bach and other 'classics' when you least expect it!
Which bits do you use? (Maybe I should try that. I used to play that suite, and dig it out once in a blue moon.)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 5 2010 23:48:09

Estevan

quote:

{Prominent Critic:]
There really is much debate among classical guitarists about the fingering for VL Etude #1. Here are some that different guitarists have suggested:

Thanks for the info, PC. I really don't see the point of any debate; I'm with Pimientito as I find the composer's fingering makes perfect sense.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 5 2010 23:53:28

quote:

etude no 1 lobos

heres an interesting take on the first etude

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2010 1:13:13

Estevan

RE: classical etudes in Flamenco (in reply to Guest

Thanks Al - I think "O Villa" would have enjoyed that!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2010 2:05:36
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote