Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Where to find white golpeador material?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

a_arnold

Where to find white golpeador material? 

I have an old (1960) peghead flamenco that the golpeador has come off of and left a residue on the spruce. This luthier made them with white golpeadors, but I can't seem to find the white golpeador material anywhere. Anybody know a source? I'd rather not use clear because the residue/stain isn't going to come off. Only option is to cover it back up or refinish.

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2010 23:20:45

jstelzer

RE: Where to find white golpeador ma... (in reply to a_arnold

Google: herco he202
They are pre shaped but can be modified to fit most 2 piece designs
Jim in La Pine
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2010 5:22:26

a_arnold

RE: Where to find white golpeador ma... (in reply to jstelzer

Thanks!

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2010 11:40:55

jshelton5040

If the prefab ones don't work for you Tony, you can always go to your local plastics vendor and buy some white sheet stock (11-14 mil), cut it to fit with scissors and stick it on with spray adhesive.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2010 22:23:45

kozz

A_arnold,
did you manage to do it?

I also bought some white sheet stock as John sugested, and try to figure out how to best stick this on the existing transparant golpeador.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2010 9:05:00

a_arnold

RE: Where to find white golpeador ma... (in reply to kozz

quote:

A_arnold,
did you manage to do it?

I also bought some white sheet stock as John sugested, and try to figure out how to best stick this on the existing transparant golpeador.

It turned out the old golpeador on my old Chica came off without damaging the original finish, so I was able to use a new transparent one -- which was good, because I couldn't find any white golpeadors that didn't come 't in 2 pieces.

The old Chica golpeador was one of the earliest transparent golpeadors (1967) and it was made out of a stiffer, more brittle plastic (I don't know if it was acetate like the modern-day ones; it might have been polystyrene or something else). It was very thin, but so stiff that it wouldn't conform to the curve of the soundboard well -- or it couldn't expand and contract with the top when humidity changed. It kept coming loose at the edges.

Have you figured out how to stick on the white material? I kind of like the old-fashioned look of the white golpeador. Which is weird, bcz it is just a different kind of plastic!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2010 15:30:54
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post