Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Tremelo rest stroke   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

akatune

Tremelo rest stroke 

When you folks play the rest stroke in the tremelo, do you keep your thumb resting on the string while you play iami? Do you play the rest stroke, then lift your finger from the string to play the iami?
I find I play the second way. When attempting to play the first method, I find it difficult to move my iami.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 10 2010 11:44:53

Elie

RE: Tremelo rest stroke (in reply to akatune

rest your thumb on the string and while doing iami move it back to do the other rest stroke move .

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 10 2010 19:21:15

mark indigo

quote:

do you keep your thumb resting on the string while you play iami?

yes if the next bass note is on a higher string

quote:

Do you play the rest stroke, then lift your finger from the string to play the iami?

no, not to play the iami - but, if the next bass note is either on the same string again or on a lower string, the thumb will have to move, and be in place by the time the iami has finished, ready to play the next bass note

i think you should be able to play iami with the thumb on or off the string, or moving between strings. you have to be able to do any finger stroke/s (picado, tremelo, arpegio, rajeo) with thumb resting on a bass string

try putting your thumb on the 6th string and playing on the top string some free strokes something like;

imimi mimim

iaiai aiaia

mamam amama

iamia miami (ami ami)

then play a rest stroke on the 6th string, leave your thumb on the 5th string and repeat all those finger strokes etc.

see if that helps....

question, when does anyone else move the thumb onto the string, before the iami, after the iami, or during the iami, and if the latter, when during it?!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2010 5:42:13

akatune

Thanks. I seem to beable to rest on the 6th for other techniques, but the tremelo feels awkward. I guess I just have to practice slowly and relearn - now that I know better.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2010 14:07:36

ToddK

quote:

Thanks. I seem to beable to rest on the 6th for other techniques, but the tremelo feels awkward. I guess I just have to practice slowly and relearn - now that I know better.

You feeling awkward while resting the thumb with freestroke is totally normal.

It feels natural to rest the thumb during reststroke, but not so much with freestroke.

Just keep doing it, and it will eventually feel comfortable.

I play reststroke with the thumb during tremolo, but i lift the thumb while playing iami, so, there's always that option. As long as you're getting a good sound, it doesnt so much matter in my opinion.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2010 17:05:30

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: akatune

I repeat the same thing so often. iamiP....................iamiP................ do the fingers normal fast speed and "fall" into the rest stroke thumb. don't start the next 4 note finger phrase until you are ready. Instead of speeding up the technique, simply close the gap there between the rest stroke P and the repetition of iami....

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2010 6:02:16

akatune

Those last two posts helped much. My tremelo is becoming pretty smooth. I do what both of you suggests, which tells me I must be on the right track. Thanlks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2010 3:23:42
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post