Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Should I turn my classical into a Negra   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Andy Culpepper

Should I turn my classical into a Negra 

So I'm building a classical right now. Here is the bracing I'm using...it's the Jeffrey Elliot/ Hauser open harmonic bar design.
My teacher has built many guitars with this bracing and they are just so powerful, clear, even and beautiful. Here's the thing: I'm getting extremely tempted to turn this into a Flamenco negra. I would probably lower the main top resonance to G-G# (he's been tuning them G#-A with great results), basically slap a golpeador on and set it up for flamenco.
So...is it a good idea or what?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2010 13:47:31

mark74

RE: Should I turn my classical into ... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

Im curious to find out what happened.

I would have said yes but Im not a luthier.

Flamencos seem to command more $ in the U.S. but of course the luthiers know more about that...but theyre just so much harder to find

It would be cool if more classical players used flamenco negras in their concerts
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 6:18:12

Anders Eliasson

I made a negra with romanillos bracing. It also has open harmonic bars. It sounds really great But can be difficult to control because of a longer sustain.

Just one thing. Dont leave the guitar with a rumbero. I´m not sure the soundboard can handle hard rumbero slaps with the open harmonic bars.

Personally, I wouldnt turn a layout like this one into a negra... I like guitars with a short and percussive sustain. The stronlyy angled layout of the braces is very classical, making the soundboard a lot stiffer on the cross section and so it´ll have more sustain, more harmonics, less percussive, less body in the golpes and in total, less flamenco.
I really dislike playing guitars with weak golpes. It has to react to your different golpes. If not it feels stiff, dead and boring to play.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 8:40:09

TANúñez

RE: Should I turn my classical into ... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

I would leave it as a classical for the reasons Anders stated. I bet it would turn out really nice.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 12:00:17

Andy Culpepper

Hey guys. glad somebody finally responded. lol
The guitar stayed as a classical and turned out great, but my next guitar on this design turned out better (#6). Here's why I was tempted: these guitars are just really really fun to play and this one in particular actually had a good percussive quality while still having a beautiful sound in the treble and a lot of "presence". The bass was not aggressive enough IMO for a Flamenco but I'm still planning on doing a hybrid someday with no bridge patch and a thinner top, but a thicker strap under the harmonic bar openings to make it more "rumbero-proof."
The reason it would work I think is partly because the open harmonic bars actually relieve some of the cross grain stiffness.
And the sound is just telling me it would work well for a certain kind of player.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 13:52:49

Anders Eliasson

Hybrid guitars are always fun to play. They are not so serious as raw flamenco guitars. But after a while I always miss that dryness and clarity.
I like Cedar a lot for hybrid guitars.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 16:22:48

estebanana

quote:

So I'm building a classical right now. Here is the bracing I'm using...it's the Jeffrey Elliot/ Hauser open harmonic bar design.
My teacher has built many guitars with this bracing and they are just so powerful, clear, even and beautiful. Here's the thing: I'm getting extremely tempted to turn this into a Flamenco negra. I would probably lower the main top resonance to G-G# (he's been tuning them G#-A with great results), basically slap a golpeador on and set it up for flamenco.
So...is it a good idea or what?

Attachment (1)

Do you think it will fly? Where are the engines?

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 23:30:22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote