Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

first flamenco performance   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

at_leo_87

first flamenco performance 

hey everyone,
i'm playing at student show with one of the dance classes at the end of this month. i've been really busy getting ready for it so that's why i haven't been able to participate in the cante thread. now it's 9 pages long, which is montstrous! anyways, i'm pretty nervous about the whole thing so i just wanted to get some advice, tips, support on performance anxiety.

is there a certain mentality you have when you perform? what happens if the palmeras get off? why does my hand sweat and my breath start to taste bad? lol.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 13:06:03

rombsix

RE: first flamenco performance (in reply to at_leo_87

Take some Inderal.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/BetaBlox.html

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 13:21:08

at_leo_87

no drugs for me, friend.

maybe a few beers. i don't want to throw my guitar into the air again though.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 13:26:50

aleksi

Hi atleo,
I was in a similar situation last christmas time and the most important thing I learned was: remember to breathe!
sounds like an easy task but its not that simple, at least for me.
In the midle of my falseta I started to freeze and then I realized that I had hold my breath for too long
So its easier to play good and relaxed when you have air in your lungs.
Good luck with the show, it will go well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 13:28:36

at_leo_87

RE: first flamenco performance (in reply to aleksi

thanks aleksi. that's a great tip. i'm sure it'll help lower the heart rate too.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 13:33:33

Florian

HEYYY congratulations amigo or amigos i should say you too aleksi...il be there in spirit shouting ole

Make sure to post some video or photos or whatever

quote:

is there a certain mentality you have when you perform?

yes ...u are there to perform...not be be shy or modest or apologetic...how ever good you are or however many there are better guitarists then you out there in the world and however much you respect the others dosent matter...on that night...on that stage you are it ...so act like it ...

no apologies... play whatever you know like its the best thing in the world

theres times to be grounded and respectfull and modest and theres times to perform...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 14:01:08

at_leo_87

RE: first flamenco performance (in reply to Florian

quote:

theres times to be grounded and respectfull and modest and theres times to perform...

hey, that's EXACTLY what i needed to hear! sometimes i think i hold back because i'm afraid to show off. so it's a fear of success, kind of. thanks man!

quote:

Make sure to post some video or photos or whatever

oh, i hope no one takes a video. i have to dance at the end.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 14:23:05

JasonMcGuire

Just believe in yourself and realize that it will NOT be your last performance. You have worked VERY hard for a LONG time to get to this point. It is the fruit of your labor and it should be savored. Enjoy every second of it and remember that regardless of what transpires during the course of the performance that it will be be perfect.

Drugs are NOT necessary and Beers aren't really either.... unless you really enjoy beer.

Report back....

J

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 14:31:18

Florian

quote:

hey, that's EXACTLY what i needed to hear! sometimes i think i hold back because i'm afraid to show off. so it's a fear of success, kind of. thanks man!

i know is why i said it...everyone is scared of looking like a dick showing off...but thats precisely what people who come wanna see...they dont want some modest shy apologetic guitarist...they want confident i love what i do ...this is everything i got at 101 % ..by allowing them any doubt in your abbilities or playing modest you are taking away from the experience they wanna have when watching a performance....

lol Imagine your dentist comes and says " - i am gonna have to pull a tooth today...i got to warn you i am probably not the best dentist in the world...lets see "

we allready assume hes probably not the best ...but when hes working on us we wanna think he is ...dont want any room for doubt

even if you and i are fully aware of whats out there in terms of talent and where we are in the scheme of things...

took me a long time to learn that lesson but as a result, you play better , u enjoy it more , you are less scared, and somehow even allow your true personality to come out in your music..and as a result your audiences have a better experience

when a guitarist loves what they do and they can see it they wanna try and listen harder even if they dont know what its about to go with you and share your experience or at the very least to try and understand why u getting so excited about

so be modest and humble whatever before and after the concert

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 14:47:37

Stu

nice one leo! I've been asked to play at a student performance too!...with only a weeks notice though! not sure whether i will yet...it will be my first too so I have no advice to offer....but good luck to you man!!

quote:

yes ...u are there to perform...not be be shy or modest or apologetic...how ever good you are or however many there are beeter guitarists then you out there in the world and however much you respect the others dosent matter...on that night...on that stage you are it ...so act like it ...

no apologies... play whatever you know like its the best thing in the world

This is great to hear! excellent positive advice!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 15:15:13

Arash

Flo is right, i have even seen terrible guitarists in a gig, but with lot of confidence and kind of show off attitude, and people enjoyed that and didn't even noticed the lack of guitar skills or all the mistakes. they don't care about such things.
you are not in a flamenco forum where everyone is looking at your fingers and technique, etc.
so don't be feared, go out there with kind of "i don't give a sh.t attitude" , most of them don't know anything about guitar ;-)
they wanne see you enjoying what you do and they wanne see some crazy rasgwadoo movements.

i have done 3 little gigs in a bar/restaurant of my friend and i confirm Flos suggestions.
(and i was one of those terrible guitar players btw )

oh and try to take as many student chicks as possible home with you that night.
thats the main reason for guitar performing anyways.
and also don't forget to write your telefonnumber on your guitar with a big black marker , so that all those chicks who don't come with you home that night, they can write it down for later. haha

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 15:35:40

Florian

RE: first flamenco performance (in reply to Arash

quote:

and also don't forget to write your telefonnumber on your guitar with a big black marker , so that all those chicks who don't come with you home that night, they can write it down for later. haha

OH YEAH ..i forghot to say that !!.. youre life is gonna change drastically...you never have to line up for clubs again, old ladyes will stand up to offer you their seat in a bus, your beer will never get warm, have your pen out and ready to sign autographs when you leave the changing room after the performance...also u will have sex 24/7 with chicks!!..hell i am having sex as i am typing this

u wont belive your eyes ...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 15:38:52

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

quote:

OH YEAH ..i forghot to say that !!.. youre life is gonna change drastically...you never have to line up for clubs again, your beer will never get warm...will have sex 24/7 with chicks..hell i am having sex as i am typing this

u wont belive your eyes ...

yeah, sex with a granny , a midget and a shemale.....i guess

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 15:44:40

Florian

quote:

yeah, sex with a granny , a midget and a shemale.....i guess

thats a litlle tougher to arrange...takes years of negotiation...shemales and midgets dont naturally associate...one day...if you lucky

quote:

.....i guess

dont act all innocent and inexperienced with me " persian kitten"..... MIOW

EDIT...removed my tastless joke

no need to go down that road again lol ...as u know i keep it clean and on the topic

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 15:50:12

Arash

yeah...

are you writing your posts with your right or left hand right now ?

i am writing with right hand, as my left hand technique is better

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 15:54:26

Florian

Anyone got some perfromance nightmares and bloopers to put this guys minds at eaze

il see if i can find some on youtube

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 16:08:43

Lol
played my first 'gig' a few weeks back. filled in for my teacher!! eek!
singer, dancer and a room full of people.
one rehearsal and 3 days of listening to the audio of the rehearsal.
little sleep. anxiety!!
plus i was one sevillanas short!...thanks for the you tube jason!

I did feel that this performance was my first real lesson in flamenco.

he positives?
'the baptism of fire'!
the fantastic people i was working with.
realizing how much work needs to be done with the palos
the joy of just 'doing it' to the best of my ability
favorable comments from punters
all went as well as could be expected
hey they even asked me back!

nothing negative to say really....the anxiety is a bit of a downer though...like with anything new. humor seems to take the edge off......
no drugs, beer afterwards!
girls? 24/7? must of missed that bit!
Good advice flo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 16:15:14

Florian

RE: first flamenco performance (in reply to Guest

quote:

the joy of just 'doing it' to the best of my ability
favorable comments from punters
all went as well as could be expected
hey they even asked me back!

congratulations man, i was wondering how you went..u doing greate...you played that sevillanas good at tapas

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 16:22:29

Chiste de Gales

Dont try anything new that you havent tested out before.

I was able to learn that after only 2 beers, my rasqueo doesnt work right.
I did this experiment at home, not on stage where I could have risked
messing up a show.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 18:46:24

srshea

quote:

is there a certain mentality you have when you perform?

Don’t forget to have fun!

I already told this story a while back, but I had my First Flamenco Performance about a year ago, and I was deeply wound up about it, for weeks beforehand, all the way up to the stage. Shortly after starting the first dance the tassels of a dancer’s bata de cola got caught in my tuners and just about tore the guitar out of my hands. Things came briefly to a screeching halt and the whole thing was so disastrous and ridiculous that there was nothing to do but laugh it off and keep going. After that I instantly loosened up and realized “Oh, yeah. This is supposed to be enjoyable, this is supposed to be fun!”. And it was.

So, smile, relax, and have fun.

Good luck, Anthony!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 21:09:47

cathulu

RE: first flamenco performance (in reply to srshea

Good luck Anthony!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 21:37:49

NormanKliman

Hi Anthony,

quote:

they wanne see you enjoying what you do

quote:

...this is supposed to be fun!

quote:

It is the fruit of your labor and it should be savored.

Excellent advice from all. Pleasure is the most important factor. Now you're sweating over the details of preparing your toque, but the audience will have completely different expectations when they sit down to listen to you. You will end up transmitting what you're feeling, so find a way to turn the intimidation into fun.

You've probably noticed that it's a pleasure to listen to some people talk because they speak with confidence and a playful smile. Conversely, when people are wound up about something, it comes out in their speech. They forget to breathe naturally (more excellent advice), to smile and to keep the conversation light-hearted, etc.

In the end, your mission will be to engage in dialogue, not to give a speech.

EDIT: Funny story, Adam. Good to see you back here!

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 23:13:58

kozz

Good luck Anthony, I am sure you'll do fine!! Keep us up to date.

I remember from the past you had a lot of tips for this from Steve ..(?)...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 23:21:12

mrMagenta

I've got nothing to add. I'm in the same situation myself. I've got pretty lousy nerves, but if I can start with very easy material it gets easier to stay relaxed for the trickier bits.

Wish you the best!

Hope to hear how it went.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 0:45:50

HolyEvil

no advice here.. just a good ol' GOOD LUCK mate!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 1:15:07

Ailsa

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 15 2010 4:39:16
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 1:58:47

at_leo_87

LMAO. ok first of all, @ florian and arash,you guys are ****ing hilarious. i think one of my internal organs have been compromised from laughing too hard! i really liked the dentist analogy. about the girls, what do i when there's too many? now i might get performance anxiety with that.... should i wear a condom while i perform? or even just 24/7 from now on? i'm not at the level where i deserve grannys and midgets yet. my technique needs much work before i can even dream about getting there.

and yes, maybe the high standards of this foro is the cause of my fear! you jerks!

@jason, thank you jason. i really should enjoy myself. i've been thinking too much about being perfect. i will enjoy the moment for what it is. i really enjoy a beer but i'm such a lightweight.

@stu, hey, it's really cool because we're having similar experiences. but, wow, only one week! what will you be playing? ok, let me know if your loins hurt afterwards. lol.

@alval, good for you! i hope my gig will go just as well. a lot of material is from jason as well. and no drugs or beers for me. after, maybe there will be sex and cocaine party. but nothing before...

@chiste de gales, last time i performed drunk, the guitar flew out of my hands. i'll be sure to not try anything new. but i'm sure i'll have to change a lot of what i planned ahead to adapt to what will actually happen at the show.

@srshea, i WILL have fun! i remember the first time i tried playing falsetas in front of the class and took myself too seriously....fail. i'm very fortunate to have such fun girls in the dance class, so i'm sure their energy will get me going.

@cathulu, thanks chris!

@norman, i took a speech communication class so i should be good at this. i like what you said about dialogue and not speech. kind of like talking TO the people and not AT them, right?

@kozz, well, those things are easier said than done, and when the pressure comes on, you forget everything. lol .but everything that has been said here has been more helpful and practical since it's guitar performance related. i'll have to re-read some stuff, thanks kozz!

@mrmagenta, you have a show coming up as well? i was thinking about starting off with something libre so i can get a feel for things first.

@holyevil, thanks!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 6:36:02

Stu

quote:

@stu, hey, it's really cool because we're having similar experiences. but, wow, only one week! what will you be playing? ok, let me know if your loins hurt afterwards. lol.

She wants me to play a simple farruca. which should be a breeze, but also quite a lenghty Alegrias which is pretty basic too really but only got the cd on thursday and tabbed it out...learnt a nice new silencio too from the cd!!...

I may just play the farruca cos I havent even played the Alegrias in class with them.. I'll see how the class goes on thursday before making my decision about sat performance!!

I intend to have utterly painful loins after!!!

quote:

after, maybe there will be sex and cocaine party

god I hope so!!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 7:35:13

veet

RE: first flamenco performance (in reply to Chiste de Gales

quote:

after only 2 beers, my rasqueo doesnt work right.

yeah, definitely avoid alcohol before the performance. Save it for the party later, or maybe just before they make you dance your buleria at the fin de fiesta.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 7:48:03

at_leo_87

RE: first flamenco performance (in reply to Stu

quote:

I intend to have utterly painful loins after!!!

LOL.

where will you be playing? i just checked out the restaurant we're supposed to perform at yesterday. it definitely helps to calm the nerves to see where you will be performing. i even got a free meal and beer!

and arash is totally right, it's not like the foro where everyone picks out all the little details of your playing. the audience seemed pretty plain jane, just wanted to see pretty dresses and lots of noise. when the guitarist had his solo pieces, most of them didn't even pay any attention.

quote:

yeah, definitely avoid alcohol before the performance. Save it for the party later, or maybe just before they make you dance your buleria at the fin de fiesta.

i think i will stick a shot glass with vodka into my soundport. because i'm expected to dance right after we take a bow. easy access!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 13:01:31
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post