Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: The weight loss challenge?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Arash

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

I have read that one can only gain 4 kilos of pure muscle tissue per year. That makes 333g muscle per month.

i think this is bullcrap (based on my own experience), specially when you replace fat with muscles, it can go much faster imo.

when i was 22, 23,,,,,i gained quite a lot of weight during a short period of time. about 10 kilo.

then, i made a lot of sport, but didn't change anything in my nutrition.
after about 4 months, i replaced ALL of the fat which i had gained, with muslces. but my weigh didn't change at all. i just saw that i don't have any fat but a lot more muscles.

so, i think you can gain a lot more than 4 kilo muscles / year

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2009 10:45:00

Grisha

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to cathulu

Ron, I am about as tall as you, maybe a bit less. My normal weight is about 156-160. I have very broad shoulders and am pretty muscular genetically, so going lower than that is not normal for me. By the way, after spending 2 months in Granada 2 summers ago, I was 153 when I came back. Lots of hills to walk up and down, hot weather makes you not eat much, bought 5 kilo weights.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2009 11:01:12

Ron.M

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Grisha

Still sounds OK, Grisha.

Since I left home at 21 to live in a flat, I've always been used to eating just one meal a day.

I just have a cup of tea for breakfast, very rarely a sandwich or something at lunchtime and then just a regular evening meal.

When I worked in the Oil Industry, there was a lot of physical work involved as well as the technical stuff, so I ate more and just put on muscle, so weighed more.

Maybe it's just the one meal a day habit I've got used to?

It doesn't bother me to feel a bit hungry for a few hours, although work colleagues have said it makes them feel unwell.

Dunno?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2009 11:33:18

gshaviv

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Ron.M

What compas works best for this challenge?

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2009 19:57:11

Pimientito

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to John O.

Yeah...going to the gym doesnt always make you lose weight if you are turning fat into muscle. Thats Ok though. Its better to go by how well your trousers fit than by what the scales say.
Another thing is that if you exercise you increase the rate at which your body consumes energy when you are resting as well so running around a couple times a week will still make you use more energy the rest of the time.

I have decided I need to lose a few pounds too after this Christmas. My belly is really starting to get out of control. Cutting out the beer and wine and fried pig is going to be the biggest problem. I think I will post a before and after photo. I dont weigh myself and my previous attempts in the gym only make me heavier due to the extra muscle.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 27 2009 0:59:00

Doitsujin

Good luck to all for the challenge! I would like to judge the challenge..I dont plan any weight-loss for me.. So..please upload some "before"-pictures. ^^ Thats always interesting to see somebody morphing.

Why don´t we ask some girls about that...they are the real professionals in this field. When I look at my female coworkers...its crazy....they drastically change their size each month... its fluctuating.. magic. I think for loosing weight, the best is running, swimming, squash..etc.... just go on eating "normal". No crazy "only salad allowed" plan needed.. Maybe cutting out chocolate and too much alcohol is a good idea.

quote:

original: Arash:
i know, my masculine and macho iranian flamenco image will be ruined forever after this post, but i have to admit that i bought one of these totally gay cross trainers and have it at home right now.

lol... Well,.. at least you have an apartment that is big enough to fit such a machine inside... I wouldnt know where to pace such a thing.. And having a big apartmant,..car,...ship...etc..is very masculine.. so.. you are even IMO.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 27 2009 2:43:43

Pimientito

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

please upload some "before"-pictures

I took my "before" pictures this morning in the bathroom mirror. What a shock.....Its definately either 4 months pregnancy or the 18 years of Guinness drinking has finally caught up. I am reluctant to post them before showing some evidence of weight loss - All I can say is I have my work cut out ! :)
My initial strategy is to cut out carbs and alcohol. Its been 19 hours since the last drink.....Its gonna be a long 3 months!

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 27 2009 12:35:42

Ron.M

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Its definately either 4 months pregnancy or the 18 years of Guinness drinking has finally caught up.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 27 2009 12:38:08

Pimientito

Hey Ron. Are you entering the challenge?
I found this great "before" picture of you without the wig.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 27 2009 12:43:56

Ron.M

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Pimientito

He would definitely be an Al Qaida suspect on any flight as from now.

C'm on guys...show us the real pictures! (and Ladies too!)

We won't laugh, I promise ( )

Give you all the more reason for meeting your goal.

(Though I don't see why, personally.. ....I really couldn't care less myself actually!)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 27 2009 13:06:02

at_leo_87

you can't really see my blubber with my shirt on and i dont think i'm comfortable posting a nude picture of me up. can i just post a picture of my body fat and weight readings?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 27 2009 15:49:09

Ailsa

I am on a 5-day intensive flamenco dance course this week, so a good start to increasing my exercise levels. She's a great teacher - doesn't just teach more and more steps but really 'how to dance', which is just what I wanted.

The bad news: I have to spent 2.5 hours a day staring at myself in a full-length mirror, surrounded by 15 incredibly slim women, 20 years younger than me. Am not sure if this should make me more determined, or give up

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2009 7:38:30

Ron.M

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Ailsa

quote:

incredibly slim women, 20 years younger than me. Am not sure if this should make me more determined, or give up

One thing I love about Flamenco, is that age etc doesn't matter.
In Andalucia they have Flamenco parties with grandparents singing and dancing and playing and grandchildren running around clapping their hands.

Don't underrate yourself, hen...or any other ladies.
Post a Playboy type picture of you wearing only stockings and high heels and we'll give you an honest opinion.
I mean... You can trust us to be discreet!

(I'll meanwhile try to pressurize Arash to pose in "Al Quaida" underpants for you all.)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2009 10:30:30

cathulu

T minus 4 days. Holy smokes, I better go for a beer right now before it is too late!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2009 19:41:05

cathulu

Don't let those young pretty poseurs put you off!

My wife has the same issue, she says she can always stick with the solea. The young ones can't dance that one - they have no life experience!

Plus, dance improves your posture, and takes years off you cf your peers. And if you do some weights, it is amazing how good you can look at any age.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2009 19:45:49

Ailsa

OK well I'm starting today - family celebration yesterday so not a good start. I took the unusual step of weighing myself and I want to lose 11lbs or 5kgs (though frankly anything would do). I don't have a particular target date, so slow and steady is fine. I just want my clothes to fit more comfortably.

Arash have you started on your cross trainer yet? I'm going to do a session this afternoon.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2010 1:53:01

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ailsa

Arash have you started on your cross trainer yet? I'm going to do a session this afternoon.

yes. i had 2 sessions, each 1 hour already since 01. january
+ i did some weight lifting after each session too

good luck everyone

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2010 2:19:43

cathulu

Well I started a couple of days ago. I had a nice portugese grilled chicken (Nandos) for lunch, instead of fries I had salad. Dinner was sushi. Man that was good, I realize I don't need fries. Water instead of coke.

I am really trying to eat healty, junking the salty processed food. Instead I got some nice carrots, figs, dates, almonds, and dried apricots for a snack, in moderation of course.

I was supposed to ride my bike to work this week but I didn't not even once. But I did ride the trainer once and rowed a bit. And a hot yoga session. Next week a bit more.

Anyways, I think I have made a good start nevertheless!

Good luck everyone!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2010 19:29:23

kovachian

I started running last summer and I went from 202 pounds down to 179, but I stopped exercising when school resumed in the fall. I haven't resumed my routine, but through the fall and winter I've miraculously managed to keep my weight at exactly where I left off. If this upcoming semester isn't too demanding on my time then I'll start up again, and see if I can finally return to my ideal weight of 160ish.

I really love being in shape. Few things can really put zest back into your life like feeling as good as you look.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2010 20:31:29

Gummy

OMG! Nandos is the best! There is no way I could go there regularly and lose weight.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2010 5:24:34

cathulu

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Gummy

Yes Nandos!

I think I am going backwards on the challenge... must refocus!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2010 19:46:02

Ron.M

quote:

And a hot yoga session

Steady on there Cathulu!

Sort of makes one imagine all sorts of "adult" stuff and a bit strong for a Flamenco site.

Then I thought I had maybe misread it and you meant "a hot Yoghurt session"....

...but that was even worse!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2010 2:52:04

Gummy

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2010 4:49:04

trudgiano

Flamenco can be a good weight loss aid. I've started listening to bulerias on my ipod when I'm running to try and get a nice feel for the rythm.

Doing this has had the added side effect of making me run faster than usual, due to the fast tempo, and probably helping me burn more calories.

Just don't try and accent your strides though, it not only looks daft but also hurts your feet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2010 7:31:21

Ricardo

Hey I just noticed this comment on youtube:

From Carlosnocturne: "cada vez toca mejor este señor pero veo que se pone más gordo en cada video que sube...algo de ejercicio no le hará nada malo a tus manos"

I just realized I can watch myself lose weight by watching my vid uploads in reverse order of upload date!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2010 9:30:08

Arash

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Hey I just noticed this comment on youtube:

From Carlosnocturne: "cada vez toca mejor este señor pero veo que se pone más gordo en cada video que sube...algo de ejercicio no le hará nada malo a tus manos"

I just realized I can watch myself lose weight by watching my vid uploads in reverse order of upload date!

well, honestly, i don't see a big difference between your solea vid (your first vid) and this one.

---

however, if someone would say to me: look, i can perfom magic and make you instantly as good as this guy, but ONLY if you would also accept the same look and weight + 20 kilos more,,,,,do you accept? i would say YES , without thinking twice.......

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2010 9:55:04

edguerin

bump.

I'm starting on Wednesday

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 9:18:04

cathulu

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to edguerin

I am making no progress at all. I think I have lost the will - I have snapped. I will try again - soon... What is so darn hard about this I mean really, you just have to go to bed a little bit hungry. Billions do it every day!

We live in a sick society with too large food portions that comes way too easy or is a calorie/salt/fat/chemical nightmare where you can't live healthy without trying your a*** off. And yet billions are near starvation and better for it if they could get decent health care.

Crazy!

This rant has been fed by four beers. I think I will stop and go to bed now...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 22:59:57

Ailsa

I was doing OK - lost a few pounds slowly but steadily - but I've lost motivation now and am not trying so hard - stayed the same weight last week.

EDIT: and have just eaten some delicious home-made cake that someone brought into the office...... I have the willpower of a gnat.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 2:01:30

edguerin

RE: The weight loss challenge? (in reply to Arash

T-36h !
Maybe I shouldn't look into this thread anymore, it's discouraging

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 9:05:09
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>