Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: accompanying dancers question   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

at_leo_87

RE: accompanying dancers question (in reply to at_leo_87

thanks guys!

about playing with the other guitarist, i'd love to use some chordal variations but i'm afraid it might throw him off. and even worse, i dont want to look like a show off. rhythm is not so bad because he strums eighth notes A-Bb-C-Bb-A then i get to play around and syncopate with the dancers.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2009 9:42:55

Alonte

I just had my first experience as a 2nd guitarist last week. Here's a lesson learned the hard way.

I got obsessed with falsetas and fancy stuff. The class was sevillanas. I kept messing up and realized, I did'nt know the basic palos steadily. So now my goals are.

Low on the Fancy stuff and really work on COMPAS! COMPAS! COMPAS!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 11:09:21

John O.

RE: accompanying dancers question (in reply to Alonte

Sevillanas are something special with an exact structure and the dancers always need to hear the 1. There are solos for sevillanas but they're very difficult for inexperienced dancers to dance to, even with palmas. Best would be to learn so sing!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 12:17:28

Alonte

I Agree! Im trying to learn to sing the coplas... It's easier to know whats going on.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 12:51:31

John O.

RE: accompanying dancers question (in reply to Alonte

Cool! There are some great ones which I'd love to sing - my voice isn't that great though...

What does the other guitarist play?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 13:24:30

at_leo_87

actually, can some explain the structure of sevillanas to me? i never bothered learning them so now im confused.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 15:18:32

mark indigo

quote:

so for bulerias, when a dancer does something in threes (accents on 12-3-6-9) what can i play on guitar when the straight forward 12-2-6-8-10 compas doesn't work?

if it is a 2 compas section, or multiples of 2 compas, you can play something like this, 3 beats on each chord:

D-, G7, C7, F7, G-7, G-7with G#bass (actually a Bflat7 chord), A, A7

(at the end if you are playing 4 or 6 compases of this you can play 3 beats A, 3 beats A7, and on the very last 6 beats come out on a normal beat 6-10 remate on A)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 23:27:16

John O.

quote:

can some explain the structure of sevillanas to me?

Thinking in 6/8:

Guitar intro (compás) / Cante intro two tacts / Copla = five tacts repeated three times ending on 1. All done four times.

The guitar intro isn't always the same length but usually 3 or 4 tacts. You let everyone know you're ending by leaving the 6 open on the last two tacts, the dancers usually do palmas in contra on the last tact.

The the first two sets of five tacts in the copla usually are the same and based on the cante intro, the third is a bit different. It's not really a rule though, you can repeat a 5-tact melody three times or have three different parts.

If you listen to a couple of them you'll hear it, it's a lot easier to hear than to write out as I have - the structure is always the same.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2009 2:10:21

mark indigo

RE: accompanying dancers question (in reply to John O.

quote:

Cante intro two tacts / Copla = five tacts ....
guitar intro ....usually 3 or 4 tacts. ....leaving the 6 open on the last two tacts, .......palmas in contra on the last tact

what's a "tact"??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 12 2009 6:32:21

John O.

RE: accompanying dancers question (in reply to mark indigo

Thinking in 6/8 a tact would be six beats.

Sorry, we say tact in German, I meant bar!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 12 2009 14:41:26

at_leo_87

RE: accompanying dancers question (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

if it is a 2 compas section, or multiples of 2 compas, you can play something like this, 3 beats on each chord:

(at the end if you are playing 4 or 6 compases of this you can play 3 beats A, 3 beats A7, and on the very last 6 beats come out on a normal beat 6-10 remate on A)

last class, they were doing it as a 3 compas section.

but this is cool, i'll try it out playing solo and if they start doing 4 compas, i'll have something to try out. thanks!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 12 2009 16:57:25

at_leo_87

RE: accompanying dancers question (in reply to John O.

quote:

Thinking in 6/8:

Guitar intro (compás) / Cante intro two tacts / Copla = five tacts repeated three times ending on 1. All done four times.

The guitar intro isn't always the same length but usually 3 or 4 tacts. You let everyone know you're ending by leaving the 6 open on the last two tacts, the dancers usually do palmas in contra on the last tact.

The the first two sets of five tacts in the copla usually are the same and based on the cante intro, the third is a bit different. It's not really a rule though, you can repeat a 5-tact melody three times or have three different parts.

If you listen to a couple of them you'll hear it, it's a lot easier to hear than to write out as I have - the structure is always the same.

so if there is no singer, how would the format be?

intro, another intro, falsetta?

slightly offtopic, how come some people don't consider sevillanas very flamenco? i avoided them at first because of this prejudice but they can actually be interesting. sometimes they give me the feel of a "mini-fandangos de huelva."

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 12 2009 16:59:10

mark indigo

quote:

3 beats on each chord:

quote:

they were doing it as a 3 compas section.

they were doing it like that on purpose to mess you up!

the simplest (and perhaps the best) way would be something like;

4x3beats on A, 4x3beats on Bflat, 4x3beats on A (presumably coming out of the threes and winding up with a remate on the last 6 beats according to the choreography)

but you could do 4x3beats on A, 4x3beats on Bflat, then 3 beats on C, 3 beats on Bflat, and remate on A for the last 6 beats

if you want to try the longer sequence you could do 2 x 3beats on each of the first 4 chords D-, G7, C7, F7, then as before

or you could do 3 beats each of D-7, D-7flat5, G7, G7flat5, C7, C7flat5, F7, F7flat5, G-7, G-7/G#, then remate on A for 6beats, or A for 3, A7 for 3 to loop back and repeat according to the choreography

this is a bit formulaic and overly pattern-acious (i think i just made that word up), but it's the sort of thing i have come up with playing in classes and can just throw in - there are probably more authentic ways of putting in passing chords and/or making an extended chord sequence, but i don't know them (yet!)

the other problem with really long chord sequences is that if you mess it up, or if they mess it up/improvise (like they leave a compas out) you are out there on some strange chord far from home and you have to get back real quick somehow!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2009 0:48:37

John O.

quote:

so if there is no singer, how would the format be?

Therein lies the problem with solo guitar Sevillanas for dance. The guitar in that case should copy a singer, but if you listen to a lot of singing or falsetas they don't always accent the 1, which is important. It'd be best with a back-up guitar or a guitar solo which is strictly in threes.

is an example to show you what I mean. I play the first three for classes, the last Sabicas one doesn't work well. None of them work well without palmas from the instructor because the melody isn't clear enough for the students.

Sevillanas have their place in flamenco, but are originally from Spanish folk music, from the Seguidilla. Not originally flamenco, but taken from Spanish folklore.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2009 6:25:49

at_leo_87

that's a lot of ideas. thanks, mark! it's the weekend which means i get to try all this stuff out at dance class for the next two days.

john, thanks for the video!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2009 21:28:25
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote