Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: OK, florian, i f*cking did it, alright?!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

at_leo_87

RE: OK, florian, i f*cking did it, a... (in reply to at_leo_87

a view from through the sound port.
i'll post my review along with a recording of the sound port later.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2009 20:56:06

at_leo_87

oh yeah, that thing i did with the tooth picks worked.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2009 20:57:09

Florian

LOL..sorry it took that title to realize what u were talking about

wow 3 holes...thats different...very different..but i hope it works well for you, i am very courious to heaar your thoughts...

I hope the title is not an true indication of how you feel

my preplanned defence statement incase u not happy...wich is highly unlikely

"Who the **** told you to get 3 holes anyway ? "

but in case you like it..il take full credit, my replie is.." I told you !! always listen to me "

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2009 22:09:00

at_leo_87

RE: OK, florian, i f*cking did it, a... (in reply to Florian

haha. i knew the title had a high probability of being misinterpreted but i went for the joke anyways. i was playing along with what you said in your signature.

quote:

Just fuc*ing go and get one !! you'l thank me for it

you are referring to sound ports, right? well, if so, i have to thank you because the sound port is awesome!

i'll elaborate tomorrow, there's a lot to say.
plus, im going to give my guitar some time for it to get used to being tensioned up again and for the strings to resettle a bit.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2009 0:27:40

El Saare

Really nice work and thanks for share and keep sharing

it is just like a TV show to pimp a car or house.Nice project....with noticing "Our team is well prepeard to achieve this works .Please Don't try this at Home"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2009 5:50:39

GuitarVlog

Really nice work there on the bridge and saddle. Yes, that is definitely a good break angle.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

"Who the **** told you to get 3 holes anyway ? "

Great work on the soundhole too, but Freud might have something to say about your preference for 3 holes.

How did the guy cut the holes?

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2009 9:20:15

at_leo_87

RE: OK, florian, i f*cking did it, a... (in reply to El Saare

quote:

it is just like a TV show to pimp a car or house.Nice project....with noticing "Our team is well prepeard to achieve this works .Please Don't try this at Home"

glad you enjoyed it!

yes, my next modification will be a pop out lcd screen from the sound port, strobe light linings on the guitar, and a diamond studded spinning rosette (you know those spinning rims on cars?) i will also add nitrous oxide and a twin turbo to help me play faster. more on that later...

quote:

Great work on the soundhole too, but Freud might have something to say about your preference for 3 holes.

How did the guy cut the holes?

He said he did them by hand. i think he started with some sort of circle cutter but stopped when he saw that the inside laminate would chip off. the outside layer is fine but the chipped insides give it the illusion that the circle is a little off. oh well, you drill holes and you learn.

i think i got the idea for three holes from jason's guitar. i think it looks pretty cool. radical but not too radical. mike kinney has some cool sound port ideas too. i might steal his bubbles design and have at it with my other guitar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2009 14:42:05

at_leo_87

alright, time to wrap up my show and tell here before i post the sound port test recordings.

-New golpeadors: the thicker material gives a much clearer, louder golpe sound. and also ease of mind. cool.

-Shine frets: the guitar sounds a tad bit brighter, but that could be attributed to many things. it certainly looks cooler.

-Fix loose tuning machines: the toothpick thing worked perfectly. no more rattle, rattle from the tuning machines.

-New saddle: god, what a pain in the arse. it was hard to shape it to appropriate size. i had to resort to a belt sander and even with that, it was difficult to get close to the right thickness. i used good 60 grit sandpaper and that did basically nothing. i used 100 grit and 150 grit cheap sandpaper and that worked but took a LONG time. im going to get some good 100/150 grit sandpaper and try lowering the action and reshaping it a bit next time.

-Shave bridge: the added break angle and room to lower the saddle even more is cool. im sure the added break angle has an effect on the tone.

-Convert to 12 hole bridge: definitely increases break angle. it's not that much easier to change strings though. i never had a problem with the traditional way.

and...

-Add sound port: where do i start?

when i first strung it up, i didnt notice much a difference. it's a subtle change. but also big in a way. get what i mean? lol. the more i play it, the more i hear things that weren't there before. it's not like getting hit in the face with a big change.

the notes have more body, more "presence" without sounding muddy. i used to get the guitar to sound like this but with only a few certain notes but now i can do it with basically every note. it's like a built in reverb.

my guitar sounded a bit thin before. now it sounds like it has more meat to it. the bass is more round and the treble fuller. the trebles sound a little punchier. the whole guitar just seems more alive.

when i cover the sound port, my guitar sounds like it has a stuffy nose (in comparison to it being opened.) when i open it, it sounds like it just cleared it's nose and can now breathe properly. it goes from "oooooh" to "aaaaah."

it's like wearing the wrong prescription glasses. you dont know how much better you can see until you put on a pair of new glasses with the right prescription.

from the front, the change is unnoticeable. or the change is so small it's hard to hear.

the sound port idea is cool enough that i'll be drilling a hole into my other guitar soon.

if you're thinking about getting one, be careful if you have laminate sides. it may chip here and there.

and oh yeah, sitting in traditional position is awesome because the sound port is right there in your face.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2009 15:24:41

Florian

i know man...it hitt me as i was loging out u were probably replying to my signature wich i forghot about lol

I am very pleased for you amigo..i am happy that you took the risk...knowing the difference its really hard to not wanna tell everybody to do it isnt it or to not sound like a paid advertisment for them ... its priceless finding a way to get more out of the guitar you allready have...its not one of those adjustments that make you think ..."um maybe its better " ...no question to me its better ! i cant belive every guitar dosent have one allready

its gonna be freaking impossible for me to ever go back to no soundport ...i dont think i can...just call me soundport boy

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2009 19:30:33

El Saare

quote:

yes, my next modification will be a pop out lcd screen from the sound port, strobe light linings on the guitar, and a diamond studded spinning rosette (you know those spinning rims on cars?) i will also add nitrous oxide and a twin turbo to help me play faster. more on that later...

loooooooooool

...you must think about what you are going to do with your hardcase..some flashing lights and you can open it using remote control and secret code to open ..

no really listen up
..replace the insider fabric and put some fabric like this

then add some invisible pockets ..and stick your picture like Tomatito....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 2:30:35

at_leo_87

quote:

i cant belive every guitar dosent have one allready

its gonna be freaking impossible for me to ever go back to no soundport ...i dont think i can...just call me soundport boy

i cant imagine a guitar that wouldn't benefit from one from what i've seen happen with my own guitar. it's exactly like you said, every guitar gets better in relation to itself. i actually think they look cool and modern. the repair guy said after i left his shop his other clients overheard our conversation and started asking about sound ports too. no doubt, they will get more popular. now im curious what a bigger hole would do.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 6:38:57

GuitarVlog

quote:

ORIGINAL: at_leo_87

For another easy mod, you can add these ...

http://www.fretlord.com/glowdotz.htm

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 6:42:08

at_leo_87

RE: OK, florian, i f*cking did it, a... (in reply to El Saare

quote:

...you must think about what you are going to do with your hardcase..some flashing lights and you can open it using remote control and secret code to open ..

no really listen up
..replace the insider fabric and put some fabric like this

ooh, now we're thinking.

well about how a fog machine for when i open the case for dramatic effects. those fabrics are nice. but they need to say versace or gucci all over them so people know i'm a diva.

and check out these doors...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 6:43:15

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: at_leo_87
and oh yeah, sitting in traditional position is awesome because the sound port is right there in your face.

Mmmm.... cypress
It smells so good. That alone is enough reason for the hole! You can smell while playing. What can you expect more???
Apart from all the benefits in sound. The more i play my guitar, the less i understand why this hasnt become a standard in guitar building? I mean, why are you torturing your ears with mono guitars??

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 6:48:48

at_leo_87

RE: OK, florian, i f*cking did it, a... (in reply to GuitarVlog

quote:

For another easy mod, you can add these ...

http://www.fretlord.com/glowdotz.htm

wait, i think im seriously going to get those for my electric. for flamenco, with the capo on it'll just throw me off and might even give me a seizure.

quote:

Mmmm.... cypress
It smells so good. That alone is enough reason for the hole! You can smell while playing. What can you expect more???

i have sycamore and woodchips. maybe i'll stick a car freshener in my guitar.
any pictures yet!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 6:52:57

Florian

courious who the next guy here is going to be to get one next..there will be a next thats for sure...and a next one after that

quote:

from what i've seen happen with my own guitar.

i am going to sound like an ad again i know it lol am trying to tone it down serious but i cant just yet...i have nightmares of non guitar or guitar people wanting to runaway from me at partyes and trying to not make eye contact with me as to not encourage me to begin the story again about the hole in the guitar....i am seeing myself standing in the corner of the room by myself watching peoples eyes and smilling while everyone is on the other side of the room trying to not make eye contact with me..while trying to look preocupied...:" - Oh **** hes looking this way pretend like we talking "

serious if i playd any kind of small part in convincing you to get this done and you beeing happy with it and i appreciate that at some point on the way to the guitarshop u must have been wondering just like i did ( is this crazy ? what if...once its done its done lol) but i am proud and glad

Lucky that Anders and Jason put the idea in my head it really was one of the most usefull bit of information i ever ever got here on the forum and i gotten tones very good very usefull information here...but in terms of difference and increase in my enjoyment level and inspiration bcause of it...nothing comes close to how big and segnificant this kind of information was to me...absolute gold bit of information...no comparessment, no doubts nothing comes close....

I dont normally go on treads about guitars...i get bored discussing them too much lol no offence..i appreciate them but i get bored talking about them, its different if u making them i guesss thats where your interest is..but when u just play em...and when people post photos ..i dont know why we bother...THEY ALL LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME no offence , i am joking a litlle, i mean i dont care about em as long as i am happy with the sound and how it feels...and the photos cant indicate either but i appreciate and respect that some do have interests in them and it is important to them...but it was quiet here that day and there were alot of replies on that guitar thread so i thought ( OH cool.a fight ) and went in not knowing i was gonnna put a hole in my guitar because of it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 7:34:05

Ron.M

Hey Flo,

After the good reviews, I suppose I'd probably get one if I could be bothered, since I just muck around with the guitar for my own amusement and anything which would enhance the "personal feedback" (rather than all the sound coming from the front) would be cool IMO.

May get around to it sometime though. Good thread!

Actually in my teens and twenties there was a big fad about getting a port drilled in your head, although I didn't fancy it much.

A bit like modern "piercing" but with with a bigger hole to allow more profound stereo thoughts to get out or in or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanation

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 10:18:46

at_leo_87

lmao, hilarious post, flo.

we should dress up in nice suits (im sure you already have plenty of those) go door to door spreading the word about sound ports.

"excuse me sir, have you heard what sound ports can do for your life?"

we have to convert those damn non-believers.

or

we can be the soundport police. instead of carrying a gun, just carry a drill gun. bust down every door and make sure every guitar has a hole in it's side. repeat offenders will get a hole in their knee caps. or in their head (like ron's friends) so they can hear us better when we yell in their face about how awesome soundports are.

ok, sound files coming up next!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 11:16:31

Florian

quote:

Hey Flo,

After the good reviews, I suppose I'd probably get one if I could be bothered, since I just muck around with the guitar for my own amusement and anything which would enhance the "personal feedback" (rather than all the sound coming from the front) would be cool IMO

wow ...if we get you over to our side everyones gonna wanna be on our team ..if i was in your city id come by and take it in for you just to test my theory lol

quote:

lmao, hilarious post, flo.

we should dress up in nice suits (im sure you already have plenty of those) go door to door spreading the word about sound ports.

"excuse me sir, have you heard what sound ports can do for your life?"

we have to convert those damn non-believers.

or

we can be the soundport police. instead of carrying a gun, just carry a drill gun. bust down every door and make sure every guitar has a hole in it's side. repeat offenders will get a hole in their knee caps. or in their head (like ron's friends) so they can hear us better when we yell in their face about how awesome soundports are.

ok, sound files coming up next!

HAHA you too !!

i get the feeling the foro is going to be spreading into two groups again ( like the OLD school Foro revolution..complete chaios and anarchy ) the A*hole people and the non A*HOLE people and theres gonna be discrimination and extreme prejudice

the A**Hole revolution is here baby !!

this inocent remark is probably going to come out really wrong but images like this get me excited ...

that baby is called the 7 AXIS MOLD DEEP HOLE " because youre worth it"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 11:23:41

at_leo_87

quote:

that baby is called the 7 AXIS MOLD DEEP HOLE

LOL. that thing is sure to intimidate any non-ported wimp!

here's a start to a few sound port testing.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=114322&appid=&p=1&mpage=1&key=&tmode=1&smode=1&s=#114327

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2009 11:36:00

at_leo_87

i cleaned up the hole last night in attempt to make it even. let me know what you think. does it look better?

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2009 12:16:40

at_leo_87

and check out this hole i drilled in my other guitar.

now to clean it up and supports to both guitars.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2009 12:18:16

Florian

wow excellent amigo...so now both your guitars have em ?

what guitars do you have again ? and u did it yourself !! werent you scared of cracking the sides ? did u do anything for that ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2009 13:15:19

at_leo_87

quote:

wow excellent amigo...so now both your guitars have em ?

what guitars do you have again ? and u did it yourself !! werent you scared of cracking the sides ? did u do anything for that ?

yup!

the blanca is a manuel rodriguez c3f.

the "faux negra" is a cheap alvarez classical guitar that i converted for flamenco use.

all i did was cover it with painter's tape and marked the position. then drilled a small hole first then gradually made it bigger. then finally used my biggest drill and just went for it reeaaaally slowly. then just cleaned it up with some sandpaper and colored it with furniture marker. it actually looked cooler without the coloring.

how does the blanca look? does the hole look better than before?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2009 13:30:09

Florian

quote:

how does the blanca look? does the hole look better than before?

yup

dont get carried away ...leave em alone now..i have fears il log in here and your holes are gonna get bigger and bigger...put the drill away and hide it man

i forghot to mention to you to try the same setup as mine first see what u think before u did the 3 holes again...u were in the perfect situation to judge a few different setups first and could have still done the 3 holes after..never mind wait for someone else with 2 guitars...if they do one...u know they gonna end up doing both

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2009 13:44:12

at_leo_87

quote:

dont get carried away ...leave em alone now..i have fears il log in here and your holes are gonna get bigger and bigger...put the drill away and hide it man

okay, okay, no more for me. i guess i'll just live with any imperfection there is. i was just going to sand it to smooth it out, i had no idea i was going to make the hole bigger. lol.

quote:

i forghot to mention to you to try the same setup as mine first see what u think before u did the 3 holes again...u were in the perfect situation to judge a few different setups first and could have still done the 3 holes after..never mind wait for someone else with 2 guitars...if they do one...u know they gonna end up doing both

i can still plug up the other two holes with something and test it. i think that will be my next test.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 9 2009 13:49:32

at_leo_87

last night, i glued on some little braces near the holes. take a look.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2009 11:40:47

at_leo_87

here's the other guitar. im worried about the space between the holes... it was pretty difficult to work through the soundhole.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2009 11:41:46

XXX

the builder i took mine to has glued a rectangle around the hole to support the sides. But i think it needs to finish with the sides in order to support it. It has to be long enough to go from upper side to down side, know what i mean? Otherwise it cant take tensions.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2009 11:49:31

Ron.M

My gut reaction as an engineer is that some layers of tissue each covered in superglue (or thin fibreglass) would maybe have a more durable result with little more work maybe?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2009 11:50:44
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll