Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: soundportparty in my patio   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   9 10 [11] 12 13    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:42:45
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 3:34:21

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:44:02
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 3:41:26

at_leo_87

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to XXX

quote:

wtf, you think its real? It cant be fake, but i also dont want to believe that hes for real...

it seems like he's an actor who's done other funny videos. or maybe that's just a cover. either way, if it's not real, there's plenty of other videos that i'm certain are! these people exist... scary!

love that remix! lmao!

"i'm not yelling! this is my normal voice!"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 3:47:22

at_leo_87

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

bloody
holes, fat holes, hairy holes,
smelly holes, velvet holes, silk
holes, Naugahyde holes, snappin'
holes, horse holes, dog holes, mule
holes, fake holes! If we don't
have it, you don't want it!"

lol, what kind of stuff do you watch, man? j/k

anyways, you have a legitimate concern about playing less loudly. however, it's not that much louder with a soundport. i dont even know if it's any louder or just an illusion. it's just more clearer, open, wider, etc.

i've never played flamenco guitar publicly but i know from my electric guitar days that i'll take any measure i can get to hear myself correctly in performance situations.

holes only release some of the sound that a guitar makes. the real purpose of the soundhole is the let the top vibrate better. just like good speakers have holes. so when you put in a sound port, only a small amount of sound is released through it. most of the sound produced by a guitar is from the actual sound board. that's why if you cover the soundhole, it still plays loudly. only the tone will not be as good because the top cant vibrate as well. at least that's my understanding of how a guitar works.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 3:58:40

gshaviv

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to RobJe

Anyone brave enough to bring any sharp tool near his guitar wins my admiration. Don't know how you guys have the guts to do it.

btw, there is a lot of talk regarding the sound improvement to the player, anyone checked what it does with the sound to the audience/listener? Does it change it in any way?

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 3:59:17

at_leo_87

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to M.S.A.

msa, cool design. looks like a ninja star. welcome to soundport gang!

i wouldn't go bigger unless it's to clean up the hole. the bigger you go, the more bass you will get,...i think. that looks like mahogany (?). you dont want the bass to overpower the trebles.

also, it looks like you have holes on the sides of your soundboard too? or is that a lining design?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 4:04:58

at_leo_87

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to gshaviv

quote:

btw, there is a lot of talk regarding the sound improvement to the player, anyone checked what it does with the sound to the audience/listener? Does it change it in any way?

hey guy,
have you checked out my sound port test recordings thread? i found that there's basically no change to what the audience hears.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 4:06:54

at_leo_87

i found this on a steel string forum:

"Warning [read the fine print >] Even though this may seem like a simple modification please remember there is no way to reverse it once the port is cut. It took me about 9 months of continuous R&D to work out the ideal shape and location for my sound ports. I tune my sound box to a certain frequency and if the port is cut too large you will raise the Helmholz or main air resonance of the body. The result will be a loss of power and projection. If the port is cut to the correct size the sound port will actually produce a discernable gain in forward and 360* projection."

"In layman's terms: a larger soundhole (and in this case More soundholes) will reduce the bass of the guitar and you'll hear more of the mids and trebles."

"Well, not that cut and dried. For sure if other things are equal, the bigger the port, the higher the frequency of the guitar's main air resonance. This should mean more air support for the bass tones with a smaller hole. In practice, some other things can happen. For example, support for the lowest tones may drop, but those just above that can get more support. This may be perceived as louder bass. Another factor is that the ear will fill in the fundamental when it hears the first few overtones. When those are strengthened, stronger fundamental may be perceived, even when the pure tone at the fundamental frequency is weakened.

That said, I keep my ports small. Round holes between 1 and 1-1/4" diameter work fine for me."

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 4:15:45

kozz

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Florian

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 4:24:37

Florian

good on you M.S.A welcome to the club ...the other guitarist in the sydney is wanting one too after he heard and played mine over the weekend ..

Doit u can come up with all the saying and reasoning in the world dosent change the fact that it improves your experience...like everyone that got one keeps saying..and u dont play softer u play louder if anything cause u really inspired ...u know like when u really like what u hear...you do make some valid points.....if i didnt have one and couldnt hear it for myself ...on paper ...u should be right..i dont know how it works but it works...havent looked baack or wish i hadent done it for a second...on the contrary...i have no probes recommending it to anyone who wants what was described on this tread..everything else remains the same only u get more enjoyiment out of it.....

it sounds to me more like you are trying to convince yourself ...and that's cool ofcourse..its a huge huge decision and takes some conviction...how can u be so deadset and convinced against something u never tried ? when 10 people that have ....each single one is raving about it

its not some big conspiracy to get everyone to put holes in their guitars...if they werent all we said it is surely someone would have said it by now or been sorry he did it

from what i see the record seems to be 100% perfect record so far, i cant think of many things here that 10 guitarists will agree on 100% for a perfect record...surely thats enough to atleast "erect "your curiosity lol or enough to make u wonder if we on to something...think of the ods of 10 different guitarists here liking the same piece 100%, or the same strings or the same tuner ...so the fact that 10 agreed on the same unortodox adjustment and all like it surely must say something

i got a a dare for you...promisse me that no matter what no matter who no matter how many here will get it, even if Paco himself and Tomatito and everyone else appear tomarow with a soundhole ...you will not change and get it, even if u the last man without a hole !!! i think its important to stick to your guns

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 5:07:36

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:45:33
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 5:11:20

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:45:42
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 5:21:44

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:46:10
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 5:31:31

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:46:21
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 5:33:19

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:46:46
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 5:40:01

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:47:10
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 5:44:58

Florian

quote:

thats why I posted it Florian, would like to say that wrong guitar can be improved. but actually, my guitar was inspiring even before. you will hear on monday or tuesday when I upload the MP3 file with clear recording.

ofcourse it dosent do magic...it only works with what is there..it improves it in relation to itself...but it always improves ...weather its a litlle or alot...with me i think its gonne up more than 2 or 3 steps and it wasent bad at all to beging with

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 6:03:22

Ron.M

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to kozz

quote:

MSA....damn you are hardcore.

Nah Kozz.....A "swastika" shaped hole made with an ice pick is the true Hell's Angel way to go IMO.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 6:07:37

XXX

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

What is the logical consequence when getting louder sound while playing with equal force? You start playing with less force

Not really. The sound you get is closer to what the audience hears. That means that you only "jump so high as you must", to use your horse analogy. You are more aware of your sound. Whenever you want to play with force, you do it. Any musician knows how to play loud and how loud to play, ie how much volume he needs. The soundhole lets you adjust the volume and attack more sensitively than without a hole. It lets you hear details from your right hand. You cant prevent becoming a better guitarist with a soundhole.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 6:36:06

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:47:22
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 6:43:50

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:47:47
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 6:49:14

kozz

quote:

truth is, I was so impatient to try it out, that I didn't hesitate to risk a bit.

Hahaha, that's normally the way I do it also, this time though, I took some time and got me the right materials.

quote:

Nah Kozz.....A "swastika" shaped hole made with an ice pick is the true Hell's Angel way to go IMO.

I've checked and Gerhard Graf Martinez doesn't have one

By the way, I found another way of using the hole. If you are tired keeping your head up in the traditional position its nice to put your chin in the hole.
It also a nice way of doin A-B comparissons.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 7:31:01

kozz

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 7:32:03

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2011 21:48:37
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 7:43:10

Ron.M

Hey Koss,

Can you design me, (using photoshop) a soundport using the Scottish flag design, so I can visualise better how it would look?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 8:27:23

at_leo_87

quote:

I've checked and Gerhard Graf Martinez doesn't have one

lol! i think originally the swastika sign went the other way, the opposite way of whatever the nazis use. i still see it sometimes on asian food labellings.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 8:37:56

kozz

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Hey Koss,
Can you design me, (using photoshop) a soundport using the Scottish flag design, so I can visualise better how it would look?
cheers,
Ron

No probs mate. Send me a pic your guitar.
But uuuh....do you wanna cut holes in colour????
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 9:33:39

satvic

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Florian

looks like a jigsaw job! man you got cojones grandes
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 10:42:37

Doitsujin

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to gshaviv

quote:

quote:

bloody
holes, fat holes, hairy holes,
smelly holes, velvet holes, silk
holes, Naugahyde holes, snappin'
holes, horse holes, dog holes, mule
holes, fake holes! If we don't
have it, you don't want it!"

lol, what kind of stuff do you watch, man? j/k

Thats a cite from the movie "from dusk till dawn" I just replaced p-ussys with holes...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 13:11:21

at_leo_87

looks like the forum is acting up again.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2009 15:49:24
Page:   <<   <   9 10 [11] 12 13    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   9 10 [11] 12 13    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post