Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

W Magazine Korea   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gj Michelob

W Magazine Korea 

W Magazine Korea

W Magazine, Korean issue, will publish an article about me in July (available next week, also on its website). It is not about me as a flamenco musician (and not surprisingly so) but as a Fashion lawyer and academic. Not that I deserve that kind of attention, particularly outside my jurisdiction, but it seems that my relentless pursuit of this original are of the law (fashion law) has intrigued a few.

I understand it will be a 3 page article, but regrettably entirely in Korean –except for my name obviously… which is not “gj Michelob, Esq.”

If you can read Korean, let me know what you think (and what it says about me !!)

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2009 14:52:55

Florian

RE: W Magazine Korea (in reply to gj Michelob

wow congratulations amigo :-) thats wonderful

we can make a go of translating it with online translators ...see what comes out

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2009 20:44:36

gj Michelob

RE: W Magazine Korea (in reply to Florian

Incredibly nice, as always Flo, how you never fail to acknowledge people’s posts. Thank you.

I doubt most men would know what W magazine is…. the monthly issue of WWD (women’s wear daily), both very prestigious publications in the Fashion Industry.

During the inteview I mentioned my passion for flamenco and even this forum, if nothing else to exorcise the demons of “nails” effect on the young journalist and photographer.... and you know, when it comes to women's fashion, a man with long manicured nails.....

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2009 21:10:31

at_leo_87

will you be receiving a copy? you should try to scan it if you do. that'd be really cool to see a forum member in a magazine.

i cant read korean. but if i can get a hold of the article, i'll bring it with me the next time i go out for "kim-chi" and ask the people that work there.

here's their website. maybe we can find you through there.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://www.wkorea.com/&ei=8B5ASq6JHZGMtgeDjYmXAQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dw%2Bmagazine%2Bkorea%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3D93t%26sa%3DX

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2009 16:16:38

Güiro

Hey GJ, congrats man! I will be hanging out with some Korean friends over the 4th of July. If you send me the link or a scan I will see if my friends can read it and let you know what they think.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2009 17:17:45

gj Michelob

RE: W Magazine Korea (in reply to Güiro

Thank you At_Leo and Guiro... I will try to get the link.

I just came out of an unespected minor surgery I had to undergo. A bit sore and 'stoned" by pain and painkillers. It went well, they cordially explained, but it is never asy to accept while in pain... Good night for now

[just thought about that morbid thread, yet not unrealistic and indeed of a point well taken, someone started about a member passing away and no one advising the Forum. Well the executors of my estate will need to ditribute the wealth accumulated in the Foro's Funds in my custody... .

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2009 17:50:11

at_leo_87

gj, you've got me worried...

quote:

unespected

lol rest easy amigo. surgery stinks.

be sure to drink lots of fluids and eat lots of campbell noodle soup.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2009 18:39:39

Escribano

Get well soon primo.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2009 2:03:45

Ron.M

Yeah gj,

Take it easy and I hope you are back on your feet soon amigo.

All the Best.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2009 7:02:14

edguerin

All the best gj!

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2009 4:33:59

gj Michelob

RE: W Magazine Korea (in reply to edguerin

quote:

All the best gj!
Ed

Thank you so much, Ed. I am recovering well.

On the subject of W magazine, I misunderstood when it will be issued. The article about me will be on the August (not July) issue, however on the newsstand by the last week of July.

Ricecraker promised to help translating it from korean.

Incidentally, I am not sure I mentioned this. Ricecracker and I met in New York a few weeks ago, and had a few beers in the East Village, comparing flamenco notes and nails (!). RiceCracker, aka Doug, is a fascinating artist devoted to photography and passionate as we are about flamenco guitar. It was wonderful to meet him in person.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2009 7:59:53

edguerin

quote:

comparing flamenco notes and nails

As I recall, you started using artificial nails a while back. Meanwhile, what's your opinion?
(I've been wondering wether I should "enforce" nails, but am a bit afraid of the long-term effects. When I did my own acrylics many years ago, I found my natural nails got really thin, and it took about 3-6 months before things were back to normal )

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2009 6:29:21

Ailsa

quote:

acrylics many years ago, I found my natural nails got really thin, and it took about 3-6 months before things were back to normal

Hi gj, sorry to hijack your thread but I am interested too. I was using some false nails and found the nail underneath was thinning. I've resolved to do some serious nail conditioning - though have to admit I still have a false nail on my thumb at the moment to get me through some playing I have to do this weekend. Let us know how the nails are going (and the rest of you of course!).

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2009 6:42:42

gj Michelob

quote:

As I recall, you started using artificial nails a while back. Meanwhile, what's your opinion?
(I've been wondering wether I should "enforce" nails, but am a bit afraid of the long-term effects. When I did my own acrylics many years ago, I found my natural nails got really thin, and it took about 3-6 months before things were back to normal )
Ed

Well for sake of accuracy, I didn’t take on artificial nails, particularly I had no intention to give in to “acrylics”. However and unwittingly I might have done just that. At the nail-salon I asked to “repair” both humb and index’ nails, but stressed at length I did not want to use acrylics. The nail-nurse applied an extremely thin net-like silk fabric over the entire surface of each nail, along with some magic powder, a liquid glue and finally blew some spell over them…

I believe these may be the acrylic I feared (because of the unhealthy growth of the underlying nail, as you also worry).

After nearly 4 months since the repair took place, the thumb cover chipped off, leaving one minute yet irritating stain of apparently irremovable glue. The index is growing out of it, steadily. I have the impression that the underlying nails’ growth was unaffected by the procedure, but I would not make it a habit. Sort of feel “dirty” with these applications on my nails.

This repair is a fine solution to the inconsolably devastating nail-breaking accidents, but it should remain an extreme remedy rather than the norm.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2009 8:10:41

edguerin

Thank you for your prompt reply.
As always, your statement is clear and helpful.

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2009 8:31:12

Doitsujin

Nice. International press. I heard Koreans don't understand anything about fashion... just go and buy the best blends... and the blend-symbols have to be visible everywhere over and over... Guess who told me that... a Japanese.. hahaha..
Congrats to the article Michelob! I'm looking forward to read the translation.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2009 9:49:56
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post