Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

at_leo_87

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to Ailsa

11 challengers! this is going to be intense.
welcome aboard! i just sent you the tabs.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2009 23:44:29

Pimientito

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to andresito

quote:

I didn't think anyone took my banning proposal seriously

Yeah they did Alex is now officially not a beginner any more and has to compete on the intermediate challenge. This is to avoid the same winners every month or two.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 0:45:47

Ron.M

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Yeah they did Alex is now officially not a beginner any more and has to compete on the intermediate challenge. This is to avoid the same winners every month or two.

Well it's up to the organisers of course, but I would tend to agree with Pimientito.

In the end it boils down to a question of honour and fair play as to which level genuinely presents a challenge to entrants to make a half decent attempt at.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 6:49:43

Ailsa

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to Ron.M

I think the clue is in the title it's a challenge. If you can get this down in a couple of weeks, it's not a challenge for you, you should be intermediate. That's why we've got six weeks to work on it (also because Easter is in the way).

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 7:04:49

alex_lord

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

quote:

Makes perfect sense to me. Besides, now that I have a bit more confidence, I can stop treading the same waters and try something a bit more challenging without fear that I am missing a lot of crucial foundation. This has been a worry for me, since I've only had a couple of sparse lessons and have mostly been reading books, watching videos, and beating my head (and guitar) against the wall

In fact, I would invite Aleksi to do the same. I would not consider myself a better player than him, judging by his entry.

I'll be rooting for all of you from the sidelines!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 12:43:57

BrianPatrick

I haven't logged in for a good six months (divorce, unemployment, etc etc wah wah ) so hello all!

I'm throwing my hat in as well (I PM'd leo already)

Thanks!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 13:34:56

Ailsa

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to BrianPatrick

Welcome BrianPatrick, you are on the list - soothe your blues away with a Solea falseta or two!

One more and it will be 13, unlucky for some!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 13:49:43

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:35:31
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 14:24:56

Ailsa

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to val

Yeah I haven't started to try and play it yet - am still just listening and getting the sound in my head. But I can already see from looking through the tab that I am going to have work at it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 14:39:11

kozz

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to at_leo_87

Hi fellow contesters,
how are you doin'with this?
Thanks to val for the nice tabs!

I was trying it this weekend for more than 2 hours to get some things goin', but it hardly worked out.
So I eventually yesterday went to the music store to get Graf Martinez's book to do some pre-exercises, so I am busy with that.
Hopefully it will work out so I will be able to sent in some kind of musical related notes instead of a complete exercise of notes with no meaning at all.

How do you get that ami p at the 3rd bar sound nice? If I am trying to play it, Darth Vader is comming out of my guitar doin a complete Star War on its own, a lot of sound, for a very long time and making no sence at all.

Anyway, maybe its just me, but I don't like the audiofile from Martinez, it makes me nerveous in a way. Perhaps we should ask our Intermediate/Pro challengers to record an audiofile.

Goodluck!

taam taam taaaam tam tam
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 21:18:03

at_leo_87

quote:

How do you get that ami p at the 3rd bar sound nice?

it's like a normal a, m, i rasgueado but instead of flicking the fingers, just brush them across the strings then follow through with a soft downstroke with the thumb.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 21:30:20

andresito

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to kozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: kozz
Anyway, maybe its just me, but I don't like the audiofile from Martinez, it makes me nerveous in a way.

No, it's not just you, I'm not really that rapt in the way he plays either
It's a little bit tense and all at the same volume, but, that may be because it is teaching material rather than an actual piece, and probably encouraging for learners to be able to play similarly rather than trying to get a perfect, nicely reverbed sound...
Once you can play it, though, I think it would sound nicer with some light and shade

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 22:34:36

Ailsa

quote:

may be because it is teaching material rather than an actual piece, and probably encouraging for learners to be able to play similarly rather than trying to get a perfect, nicely reverbed sound...
Once you can play it, though, I think it would sound nicer with some light and shade

Yeah I think andresito has got it right. It is meant to teach, not be a performance. You can imagine it's a midi file if you like!

Once you've got the notes and technique down then you can make it sound like music, make it sound like your own.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 23:40:00

Ailsa

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to kozz

quote:

I am trying to play it, Darth Vader is comming out of my guitar doin a complete Star War on its own

Nice analogy kozz! Can't wait to hear it.

I agree with everyone who has said it is a tough one. But you've got plenty of time - just take it one section at a time and get that solid. Advice I ought to take myself - I always have the temptation to play whole pieces instead of looping small sections til they are almost automatic under my fingers.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 23:47:27

andresito

Hey kids! This may be of help to anyone struggling with this piece... or maybe it won't... but, for those of us without Gerhard Graf DVD's, here is video of the challenge piece, played by a beginner

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 1:48:23

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:35:20
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 2:29:57

henrym3483

quote:

I agree this is really difficult - far too many hammers and pull-offs (don't know the technical terms) for my liking.

val,

i would simply advocate working on the ligado (hammers on and pull-offs) by itself. ligado in the left hand takes quite a while to develop but is worthwhile as it is the backbone of nearly 50% of the flamenco falsetas out there.

check out scott tennats pumping nylon book for some great left hand exercises to develop this skill.

best

henry
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 2:53:28

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:34:58
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 2:59:46

henrym3483

quote:

I've been doing that but it's shredded my finger tips. I haven't played in a long time, so it's going to take some time to get the callouses back. This being the case, I've moved off the intro for the time being.

ah the dredded finger chapping, i went through most of that with my steel string guitar not pleasant. try rubbing a small amount of e45 cream on the hands after.

my issue with ligado at the moment is brining on the strength of it in the little finger or menique.its taking ages to get any decent sound out of it.

best

henry
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 5:59:28

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:34:45
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 7:57:51

kozz

quote:

Nice analogy kozz! Can't wait to hear it.

Hahaha, don't be afraid, you will, since we have to play without capo....and then my guitar is like a lightsaber.....buzzing, dark long notes....

Nice challenge....

quote:

Just been doing some more work and have come to bit where the tab was, at first, confusing. I checked back to the original and it was the same - to my mind, there seems to be some notation missing .

I asked a friend of mine who's a funk guitarist and he says the tabs are fine, but Graf Martinez got too enthousiastic at some points....

quote:

No, it's not just you, I'm not really that rapt in the way he plays either

Pfff I'm glad to hear that....I hear so many nice solea's and this one just didn't fit into....but the falsetas are nice

So now its time to hurt the fingers a little more untill.....just hammering on/of on all the strings with all the fingers, but that pinky is a bastard...

Edit:
quote:

it's like a normal a, m, i rasgueado but instead of flicking the fingers, just brush them across the strings then follow through with a soft downstroke with the thumb.

Aha, I'm gonna give it a try
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 8:47:24

aleksi

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to alex_lord

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

quote:

Makes perfect sense to me. Besides, now that I have a bit more confidence, I can stop treading the same waters and try something a bit more challenging without fear that I am missing a lot of crucial foundation. This has been a worry for me, since I've only had a couple of sparse lessons and have mostly been reading books, watching videos, and beating my head (and guitar) against the wall

In fact, I would invite Aleksi to do the same. I would not consider myself a better player than him, judging by his entry.

I'll be rooting for all of you from the sidelines!

Hello Alex,
thanks for your advice. I was also strugling with categorising my self. I've been hanging there in the midle of beginner and intermediate for a whilie but maybe you are right and I should start thinking my self as a intermediate now.
The first challenge was very nice. It was perfect way to start participating in the forum and it was also exiting to wait for the score especially after the two first judges .
Last sunday I had also my second flamenco birthday so this could really be good time to shift my mentalitet to intermediate.
I like this challange also, Ive been listening and analysing the track and Im confident that I can do it. Maybe the notes them selves are not challange to me, but the way how to play them. How to put some spirit in to them. But this can be already intermediate thing, I dont know.
Maybe I should wait for the next intermediate challange and then participate in that, what do you think?
In the mean while I can stick for the merengues track 'cause that was my favorit and wish all the good luck for all in the challange

...but alex you have different position, you won but I havent won anything yet, I think I should be given one more shot
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 11:10:30

Ailsa

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to aleksi

quote:

Maybe I should wait for the next intermediate challange and then participate in that, what do you think?
In the mean while I can stick for the merengues track 'cause that was my favorit and wish all the good luck for all in the challange

Aleksi, why don't you set up your own intermediate challenge? You could make a post asking who is interested and asking for suggestions of what to learn.

The beginners one finishes 20th April, and the advanced challenges don't finish until 1st June, so there's nothing so far going on in May. I will volunteer to be your admin for you and collect and post all the mp3s.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 11:34:47

Ailsa

quote:

, for those of us without Gerhard Graf DVD's, here is video of the challenge piece,

Hey that's Edina - I know her! She's Hungarian but lives here in London and is a flamenco guitar fanatic!

Actually that was a help - I've now seen all those stretches up to the 4th fret

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 11:40:26

eccullen

... I'll give it a go too !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 14:15:31

Ailsa

RE: FINAL Solea challenge for beginners (in reply to eccullen

Welcome, you are on the list! Have you PM'd at_leo_87 for the tab?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 14:24:38

Ruispelto

quote:

Last sunday I had also my second flamenco birthday so this could really be good time to shift my mentalitet to intermediate.

That's the spirit and Happy birthday, Aleksi! I have mine next month, in time of solea challenge, can't wait.. I'd like to upload something before, I am working on a tientos and if can get my set-up, maybe, I have never record anything and so I need this and that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 14:27:46

cathulu

Yeah, this piece is just to darn busy, it has no room imho. I don't believe anyone can make this sound real good. In other words, it blows big time!

Honestly, let's see an adanced player play this exactly as it is scored, no cheating and substituting with nicer rasgueos or subtracting notes to make it breath, and let's see if it sounds any good. That should be the target, not this GERMAN GUY!

I will never use it again. But I am gonna learn it anyways!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 21:00:19

cathulu

Forget it dude, once you are in beginner challenge, you can't leave until you win. This is like the Hotel California but with an escape clause. So I am trapped myself...

PS Rombsix, if you are reading this for some reason, let's see you do a version of Hotel California, load it on you tube and link it in off-topics - you want to play something that people can recognize, right? So here is your challenge! I am working on a version of the Hotel myself on the side. Could use some more ideas... make it a solo version.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 21:13:47

kozz

quote:

Honestly, let's see an adanced player play this exactly as it is scored, no cheating and substituting with nicer rasgueos or subtracting notes to make it breath, and let's see if it sounds any good.

I've put the question already on the Avanced Challenge:
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=101364&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

No reaction yet...I think they are affraid!!
quote:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2009 21:20:07
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software powered by ASP Playground Advanced Edition 2.0.5