Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE ENTRIES Mp3   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

cathulu

RE: INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE ENTRIES Mp3 (in reply to gj Michelob

Thanks gj! Your wife is a wonderful person and you are a lucky guy to have found her - fyi my wife tolerates my music... Your encouragement to me and everyone else is very much appreciated.

You and Flo did a great job with running this challenge. Now I look forward to sitting on the sidelines for the beginner challenge and listening to the entries, and then participating in the judging the advanced.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2009 9:27:17

henrym3483

RE: INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE ENTRIES Mp3 (in reply to rombsix

xirdneH_imiJ and Rombsix congrats and well deserved win.

cathalu, thanks for the words of encouragement. i'll definately do the next challenge to keep pushing myself.

congrats to everyone for entering and the kind and fair criticisms and encouragement of the judging panel.

im off to do some palmas for a while with a metronome.

suerte

henry
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2009 9:35:30

farteindj

RE: INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE ENTRIES Mp3 (in reply to henrym3483

My congratulations to the winners, well deserved indeed! For me, Pluto, it was a great experience, though a bit scary -- first time i ever recorded my playing, and then gettin it scrutinized by a panel of sharp-eared experts like this one, ha!

But I really want to thank the judges for taking the time and being fair and respectful. A particular thank you to Jason for those thorough comments. When I read that, something just clicked into place for me, something I'm sure I've heard alot of times, but never really understood or related my playing to -- the rhythm, the way the notes land in relation to the beat IS the music. So if I want to practice music, I practice that. So simple. Where have I been?

Expect a new upload from me of this falseta in a month or so.

Big thank yous and olés to everyone!

Farus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2009 10:25:00

mrMagenta

RE: INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE ENTRIES Mp3 (in reply to cathulu

Very cool statistical summary Doitsujin!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2009 12:03:53

gabrielcito

RE: INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE ENTRIES Mp3 (in reply to farteindj

Yes, congratulations to the winners and thanks again to the organizers and judges. This has been an invaluable experience for me. No lie from me (pinnochio), I will continue to work on compas and technique. I regret that I was not able to record closer to speed. I hope it will come with more practice.

So glad to have found this forum full of people as intrigued by flamenco as me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2009 15:11:58

Florian

RE: INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE ENTRIES Mp3 (in reply to Guest

quote:

Florian has problems with seeing when something isn’t played in compass.. (Sorry Florian.. that’s what the statistics say.. See it funny.. my post is just for amusement) (^____^) Hahaha...

i dont have problems with seeing mistakes...just making a statement with seeing them...i get embarassed or try to soften it...i dont know

if u check my posts they mention in a pussyfooting type of way the compas...and yes i was generous...but it was just numbers..the people i thought should win ..won....it dosent matter if they win with a score of 5 or a score of 9...and it dosent matter if a guy playing out of compas is beeing told hes out of compas with a 4 or a 1 as long as he gets the message, i placed everyone where i thought they should be so ...still gets the job done ...the way i wanted to do it......

everyone is a grown man here i dont need to slap their hands lol

not that i am suggesting my way is better or any of the judges should function like me ..no way..i want everyone to vote like themselfs and how they see fit..thats why i picked em, is just how i am and what i am comfortable with

i wanted to encourage them a litlle as well as do my job as a judge and find my fair winner and runner up..for the purpose of this competition

i dont know if thats a good way or a bad way for a judge to be..i dont know

btw..i love the stats...thats brilliant..u have to do it for the other challenges too

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2009 21:52:56

Doitsujin

Florian, you judged very well! There is no judge who voted completely nuts.. All agree more or less. There is of course always personal tastes included but thats no problem.

That thing with the compas, you described right in your post. All was fair.

Yes, of course I´ll do that for the other challenges, too. Than it takes a lot less time coz I already wrote the formulas for the calculations. I hope no judge will be influenced y the stats and check out what the others voted so far to be in the average. I want that they vote without any thoughts about any stats in the end. (And,..well stats dont say so much... if I want, I can work in such a degree on the stats, that Florian turns out to be an evil judge.. It all just depends on the point of view and way of presentation. haha..)

I would be happy if more judges would give comments to all audios like Jason, Florian and me. That would make it more interesting.

Well.... now I can focus on my next speech on Wednesday for the rest of the day..... ..Hmm..ok.. After meeting my friends for a soccer game!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2009 2:21:44

kozz

Concratulations to all, very brave, and also a big thanks to the judges for their constructive comments.
Not having participated to any of the contests yet I've learned a lot by listening and reading the comments.
(Is there also pre-beginners contest for people like me ?)

The one thing that is noted every time is the compas. Are their any good excercises to do, because I find it very hard to hear the compas, escpaccialy when listening to recordings.

Great job all!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2009 8:36:42

RE: INTERMEDIATE CHALLENGE ENTRIES Mp3 (in reply to kozz

Hola Kozz

To get a handle on compás, a great exercise is to accompany a dance class. But if you can´t do this, playing a very basic rhythm along with a compás CD or a homemade tape loop will help. Complicated rhythms and falsetas come later.

To develop a strong and regular rasgeado takes time and a metronome is useful. You do not have to play fast. Count one more beat than the rasgeado you are practising: if you are playing emai, a four stroke rasgeado, count in 5s and your lead finger will be different each time. This helps to avoid the "galloping horse" syndrome. Persevere with this kind of exercise every day.

Suerte

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2009 12:14:20
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll