Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: What pieces or toques are you working on?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

srshea

RE: What pieces or toques are you wo... (in reply to John O.

I just started learning/fooling around with a basic rumba stroke a couple of weeks ago, just the standard thumb down/up, apagado, index up/down/up. Never really had any interest it rumba at all, but I’m finding this to be surprisingly fun to play, and I like that that basic strum can be applied to several different chord progressions.

That strum is pretty easy overall, but it can also be a bit tricky to get the proper feel/foot-tap/right-hand-thing going and keep it going. I’ll start playing and get the right swing going, but then I’ll lose it just as suddenly, for no other reason than that I guess it’s just an odd little bit of syncopation to get used to…
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2009 10:22:41

Doitsujin

RE: What pieces or toques are you wo... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

Difficult thing for me is doing the covers exactly like on the album

Well,... Rio Ancho is from Paco. And in his older pieces is always one damn fat long scale which makes 90% of other guitarists unable to copy the pieces 100%. But, its also nice, if you don't copy 100% no?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2009 11:55:04

John O.

RE: What pieces or toques are you wo... (in reply to srshea

quote:

I just started learning/fooling around with a basic rumba stroke a couple of weeks ago, just the standard thumb down/up, apagado, index up/down/up. Never really had any interest it rumba at all, but I’m finding this to be surprisingly fun to play, and I like that that basic strum can be applied to several different chord progressions.

Everything has to be learnt at some point no matter how easy. The basic rumba strum I got down quite fast, but the one for the slower rumbas took me a bit longer. I heard there are supposedly over 100 different ways to strum a rumba

Doit, you're right. All the others I just get the basic idea of the solo and do it approximate. Rio Ancho really has such great themes to it though, I really wanted to get it all. And besides one fast picado it's all doable...

What I mean with "covering from the album": when you get used to accompanying you memorize less and less, with rumba and covers you really have to memorize the length of the verses, where and how long the solo comes, the bridges, breaks and so on...

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2009 14:20:22

mark indigo

RE: What pieces or toques are you wo... (in reply to John O.

hi John, i agree with you about Encuentro, though a lot of it is very high level.... and what's this;
quote:

Ritmo Flamenco
i've never heard of it, is it DVD?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2009 14:58:23
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message