Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Profiles   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Profiles 

Hi,

I've asked this before, but got a very half hearted response.

Any chance members could click on the "profile" tab at the top-right of the screen and fill in the box that says "From"?

I mean is there any chance of that?
Or is it too much of a ****ing bother?

It's difficult enough to communicate by text alone and a lot of the time you're trying to imagine who you are talking to.

For instance, I thought Jacinto was a Spanish aficionado and writing from Andalucia.
OK, then I learn he's an American flamenco fan living in New York or something.

(Don't let any b*stard start getting intellectual and start the "what does it matter..the words uploaded speak for themselves, unless you have certain preconceptions or prejudices" sh*t, or I'll delete your account permanently, I'm not in the mood.)

This DOES lead to confusion in trying to address comments.

At least folk know who they are talking to when I log on.
I'm a 59 year old Flamenco enthusiast from Scotland who enjoys playing around with Flamenco guitar as a hobby.

What's the problem with publishing that?

Christ, it's not like your ex-wife is going to find you or something just by mentioning in which part of the world you live!

So I ask again, can you please take the time to do this, we're not asking for your personal data and credit card info.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 10:04:12

Ricardo

RE: Profiles (in reply to Ron.M

It's done mr connery.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 10:11:41

gj Michelob

quote:

Any chance members could click on the "profile" tab at the top-right of the screen and fill in the box that say's "From"?

I mean is there any chance of that?
Or is it too much of a ****ing bother?

...given the imminent risk of suffering physical injury, perhpas we should add blood-type?
Anyway, without further hesitation, upon reading thiese scolding lines, i immediately entered answersto all profile questions.

I think it will be helpful. Thank you, Ron.
ciao,
gj

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 10:21:16

Estevan

Ah well, I liked the idea of being from Zhang Zhung, and was inspired by Tom Nuñez's varied and entertaining places of origin (although his current one could apply to most of us...). But I never tried to give the impression that I was living anywhere but a large city in Canada, (or that I know much about flamenco) so I hope the current emendation will be acceptable. It's a combination - a fusion, if you will - of hard cold reality and wishful thinking.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 11:56:39

Exitao

RE: Profiles (in reply to Estevan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan

Ah well, I liked the idea of being from Zhang Zhung, and was inspired by Tom Nuñez's varied and entertaining places of origin (although his current one could apply to most of us...). But I never tried to give the impression that I was living anywhere but a large city in Canada, (or that I know much about flamenco) so I hope the current emendation will be acceptable. It's a combination - a fusion, if you will - of hard cold reality and wishful thinking.

I was raised about an hour away from you in Kitchener-Waterloo-cía.

No way I'll edit my profile. I'm not letting anyone know where I am...

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 14:22:17

cathulu

RE: Profiles (in reply to Exitao

I know where you are! I can keep a secret...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 15:30:23

Estevan

RE: Profiles (in reply to cathulu

quote:

I know where you are! I can keep a secret...

What's it worth?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 15:45:56

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

I'm a 59 year old Flamenco enthusiast from Scotland who enjoys playing around with Flamenco guitar as a hobby.

Ok, I've updated my info even though my username is the abbreviation for my location--at least for people who know Pgh is short for Pittsburgh, PA. A Foro member did recognize this in my introductory thread.

Anyway, Ron, care to tell us where in Scotland you reside or is that a closely guarded secret?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 17:29:09

Ron.M

RE: Profiles (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

Anyway, Ron, care to tell us where in Scotland you reside or is that a closely guarded secret?

What!?....My ex-wife might find out!

Jeez, I thought Scotland was just a dot on the map to you guys in the States.

When I was in the States myself, sometimes folk asked me if Scotland "was, like in Europe?" after eyeing me closely for skin colour and facial features.

Anyway I live near Aberdeen.

I'll post a grid reference once I find it out.

Thanks for your co-operation folks.

There's no need for great detail.
If you live on the Frozen Tundra, we don't need to know exactly where you pitch your tent.

I know it's only a little bit more of a help and I don't really blame folk for not giving out too much personal data on the Net, with ID fraud and spammers, but sometimes I find it a bit strange conversing with a "disembodied voice", meaning someone who logs in with a made-up name and NO further information either in their profile or in their posts as to who they are, where they live, how they got interested in Flamenco and what their experience is to date.

Even when I was travelling in Europe, one of the most natural questions that fellow travellers would ask would each other is "Where are you from?".
In fact even fellow AMERICANS would ask each other, meaning which State or City.

When I reply to Ricardo, Florian, ToddK, Ailsa, Kate, Sara etc etc etc, I've got a good idea where they are coming from and can understand their point of view clearly.

But some others, I've no idea if they are 17 or 77, are from the USA or China, or are beginners or advanced players or even professionals working in Andalucia.

Even worse...

Someone could log on as say... EmilioBarajas.. and say he's being playing for 20 years and mention names like Viejin, Serranito, Jeronimo Maya and Amir Haddad like they were his buddies "Last time I spoke to Jeronimo he said..." and go on about the best tablaos and gigs in Madrid and write in a mixture of English and Spanish and I would probably listen to his technical advice and views very carefully even if a bit controversial, thinking he is probably a Madrid professional.
THEN 6 months later, find out that his real name is Hector Munro, an Accountant from Edinburgh who has played around with the guitar for 20 years and is beginner/intermediate level, largely self-taught from records and the guitarists he mentions, he spoke to only briefly after a gig on one of his two-week holidays to Madrid he's made over the last 3 years and is hardly any more qualified than me to hand out advice.

Ah dear...thus are the perils of the Internet.

BTW...Once I had a long email exchange with a girl about Flamenco Master only to find out later that it was a MAN!
But that's another story!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 1:04:28

srshea

Well, as someone who’s had his exact location listed on his profile for quite some time I feel that I deserve a big pat on the back for being so ahead of the curve on this issue.

But seriously, I’m all for this idea. This is the first and only forum I’ve ever gotten involved in, so I don’t have a whole lot of experience with “on-line” culture. This is partly due to the fact I’m put off and kind of creeped-out by several aspects of it, the whole anonymity element being foremost among them. It’s definitely nice to have a general sense that the person you’re “talking to” on line is some kind of actual person, with a real name, who lives in a real place, and so on. On the whole I think the Foro scores pretty high in this regard.

Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, given that this is an international, English language forum and there are so many people coming from so many different cultural backgrounds with potentially different communication styles, and with varying levels of facility in the lingua franca of the forum, it’s just helpful to know where people are coming from, so to speak. It seems like the potential for misreading or misunderstanding other’s posts is always around the corner, and the more you know about a person, and the more accurate the frame of reference you have to place their comments in, the better off we all are, I think. Oy, it’s almost three in the a.m. I need to get to bed, and maybe this is all nonsense, and uh……

Pgh= Pittsburgh. I didn’t know that! See, I’m already learning good stuff. All the people I’ve known in Portland, OR over the years, I’ve still never got a satisfactory explanation of “PDX”....

O.K., definitely time for bed.

Adam
Olympia, WA
The Great Pacific Northwest
SSN 636-71-4472
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 1:59:04

Stu

RE: Profiles (in reply to srshea

quote:

BTW...Once I had a long email exchange with a girl about Flamenco Master only to find out later that it was a MAN!
But that's another story!

I guess it would have been shorter if you'd know it was a guy... I had something similar with a misdirected text message, said they were called sammy and saying all cutesy stuff, thought id keep messaging for fun, then turned out it was a pilot from manchester

ps RON. I just learnt a friend of mine has taken up morris dancing!!

anyway, good post Ron, I've always hoped more members would have their country listed, and it was only the other day I was looking at yours estevan and was thinking Zhang Zhung? really. now I know where/what that place really is/was, thanks.

Stu
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 2:32:10

Florian

RE: Profiles (in reply to Stu

Ok updated mine too...sorry about that always meant to do it..but i always forghot..anyway thanks for the reminder...I dont mind either way

Personally id love to see anyone use theyr own photos too..id rather see you when i talk to you then famous guitarists i have seen a tousand times..

this also helps with identifing someone as much as theyr country..Its a greate reminder that you are actualy talking to real people...its harder to be rude when you realise that.... you feel more like you know someone when you remember them by face...fells like a more real community..

the more you see someones face the more used u get to it..i been talking to some of you for years ..yet on the street i could walk right past you lol cause i have no idea what you look like

but i understand if some of you are hesitant for whatever reason

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 5:45:29

Pimientito

Ok done...now all my ex wifes know where to find me!

quote:

When I was in the States myself, sometimes folk asked me if Scotland "was, like in Europe?"

Well I got asked where Spain was in South America?

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 6:57:23

Florian

RE: Profiles (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Well I got asked where Spain was in South America?

Yes..and ? ....you didnt finish your story... and what did you say ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 7:04:32

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 7:13:38

Pimientito

RE: Profiles (in reply to Florian

quote:

and what did you say ?

I said everyone knows it's in Europe right next to Tasmania.

....Seriously I didnt know what to say. I wanted to laugh but I was in a situation where I had to button my lip. I was like "No, I think you are thinking of the other Spain"

Nealf- your map is upside down. Aberdeen is in the Basque country.

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 8:57:51

Estevan

quote:

Nealf- your map is upside down. Aberdeen is in the Basque country.

Oh...I thought it was in Galicia - you know, rain, bagpipes...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 10:19:56

Pimientito

RE: Profiles (in reply to Estevan

Torontolucia....

My history is a bit rusty. Wasn't it Davy Crockett who died while fighting Spain at the Alamo?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 10:26:41

Ron.M

quote:

My history is a bit rusty. Wasn't it Davy Crockett who died while fighting Spain at the Alamo?

Pimientito,
I was on a course in Dallas in the 70's and at the weekend we all drove down to San Antonio and visited the Alamo for a laugh.
On looking at the memorial stone, where they showed the names and countries of the people who died there, I was totally amazed to see so many guys from Scotland.
Quite an emotional surprise.
Put me in mind of the International Brigade in the Spanish Civil War.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 11:20:29

kovachian

quote:

Wasn't it Davy Crockett who died while fighting Spain at the Alamo?
Yup, Ozzy Osbourne bit his head off and consequently was banned for life.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 11:37:10

Stu

RE: Profiles (in reply to kovachian

quote:

Personally id love to see anyone use theyr own photos too

I can't change mine, I've tried so many times!! I'm sick of Gandalf!!

Its so beginning of the century.

I'll try again.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 13:48:18

Patrick

quote:

Pgh= Pittsburgh. I didn’t know that! See, I’m already learning good stuff. All the people I’ve known in Portland, OR over the years, I’ve still never got a satisfactory explanation of “PDX”....

PDX is the code for Portland International Airport. LA is LAX. You hear a lot of people refer to LA as LAX.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 13:53:29

Stu

RE: Profiles (in reply to Patrick

quote:

Personally id love to see anyone use theyr own photos too

Its so beginning of the century.

I'll try again.

so whats the difference between my profile picture and avatar picture???

folk only seem to ever have one picture
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 13:56:50

Florian

RE: Profiles (in reply to Stu

quote:

Same thing happened to me ..i put a post in Help uploaded the photo i wanted to use (the right size) and asked Simon or Ron to please do it for me...one of them did....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 13:58:04

HemeolaMan

personally, I think alot of the anonymity based BS would be cleared up if you had to have a pic of yourself as your avatar.

esp. guys like florian who are eating chocolte ice cream cones with sprinkles in their pics.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2009 15:47:09

Estevan

quote:

PDX is the code for Portland International Airport. LA is LAX. You hear a lot of people refer to LA as LAX.

Maybe we should all just put our airport codes. But how do I pronounce YYZ? Doesn't sound good like Pimientito's: GRX !

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2009 15:02:48

srshea

Hey, Patrick. The airport part I know, I've just never understood how the "X" fits into all this. That is until about two minutes ago when I finally got around to researching it a bit. Seems the X is an arbitrarily chosen addition to weather station codes.

for much, MUCH more than you ever thought you needed to know about airport codes.......:

http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2009 15:40:28

mark indigo

RE: Profiles (in reply to srshea

can anyone tell me how to make a pic small enough to upload for profile? i cropped it down from 300kb to about 150kb but can't make it any smaller or it will disappear!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2009 4:36:38

Ron.M

RE: Profiles (in reply to mark indigo

Mark,
If I remember correctly, the avatar upload seems to be very finnicky...it's got to be the right dimensions and file size...ie not greater or smaller.
I don't have any decent photo editing software, just some kind of primitive thing, so that's why I don't bother.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2009 5:23:13

edguerin

There are plenty of freeware progs out there...

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2009 8:59:40
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message