Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Tarantos/Tarantas   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

val

Tarantos/Tarantas 

This has come up a couple of times in the recent ....long debates .....
My understanding has always been that they were basically the same, but that one tended to be in compas and the other more freely played (I can never remember which way round this goes). Now I'm reading that some people think they are different forms and am now thoroughly confused. Can anyone shed any light? I appreciate there are different ideas out there and I'm not looking for arguements or character assassinations on this thread - just what people think, and why, is enough for me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 3:48:48

Kate

RE: Tarantos/Tarantas (in reply to val)1 votes

This is an interesting article by John Moore
http://idiom.ucsd.edu/~moore/flamenco/tarantos.htm

And another by Juan Vergillos
http://www.flamenco-world.com/magazine/about/canteminas/canteminas.htm

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 4:29:00

Ricardo

RE: Tarantos/Tarantas (in reply to val)1 votes

Well, basically fandangos forms. Much as you can have the same song form with hundreds of MELODIC variations (all the different fandangos naturales, Gloria, Caracol, Porrina, Farina, etc, each the same "song" but variated melodies), well you have the same type of thing with the cante's from Levante region. Taranto has some varients, and Taranta is usually more ornate. Minera slower. Cartagenera has that minor chord, fandango minero, etc etc, all more or less variations on the same song. But never the less, "different" or apart from one an other.

A single performance may mix these songs. Porrina mixed Taranto and Taranta in a single letra. So they have such a close commonality, it can be spitting hairs defining which is which. To make it worse, a singple performance that mixes say, Taranto, Taranta, and Cartagenera, may simpley get the title "taranta", leave some to believe that all those were varients of the same song. Same thing happens to Solea, and CAntiñas. malaguena and granaina often get mixed together, etc. So with only one title it can confuse aficionados.

Actual SINGERS are not confused. Guitarist's need not really need to know the difference so long as they can accompany. it is not so hard if the singer is GOOD. The thing about TARANTO the baile, well, it is in compas. And often Taranto is used, but a singer can sing Taranta, minera, Cartagenera, fandango minero, etc, and often DO. And in many cases that is what the dancer wants, a nice mix to choreograph to. The compas is secondary and imposed on the song. That is fun, but makes it tough to accompany. Anyway, it all gets tucked under the nice umbrella "TARANTO", like a dancer might mix stuff in their "Soleares" or "Alegrias". Again, that labeling is not complete, and gives the false impression that perhaps a Cartagenera is a taranto.

Hope that makes sense.
Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 5:06:01

[Deleted] (in reply to val

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 14:34:29

Estevan

RE: Tarantos/Tarantas (in reply to Guest

quote:

The rajeo is mentioned in Italian treatises on Spanish guitar as early as 1610.

Kevin, I just tried to send you something about this, but your 'PM storage is full'. Time for a cleanup.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2009 15:01:28

val

RE: Tarantos/Tarantas (in reply to Kate

Kate, Ricardo, Jacinto
Thanks for your input here. Some really helpful guidelines but understandably, as always, no definitive answer. It's interesting what you say Ricardo, that "actual SINGERS are not confused". They, of course, know best!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2009 3:09:27

runner

RE: Tarantos/Tarantas (in reply to val

One of the French composers much in love with Spain was Chabrier: "We make the rounds of the café concerts, where they sing the malagueñas, the soledas, the zapateados and the pateneras, then the dances, which are positively Arabian, that sums it up. If you could see them wriggling their behinds, twisting and squirming, I don't think you'd care to leave."

runner
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2009 6:42:05
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote