Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Tuners?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Trev

Tuners? 

What brand and model are these tuners?
I can not find them anywhere.
http://www.condehermanos.com/fvfcipres/head.jpg

Thanks,
Trevor

el_palido
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2008 0:40:03

eddie

RE: Tuners? (in reply to Trev

Hi Trev,

Looking at the markings, I'd say Aztec made : )

Sorry but couldn't resist that,
eddie
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2008 11:32:11

Exitao

Despite selecting "English" in the options for their website, the descriptive paragraphs are still in Spanish. It doesn't say the name, but it assures that they're "maximum quality"... whatever that's worth to you.

When I search google for Felipe V Flamenco guitars I've only found two kinds of tuners in place, Fustero and Gotoh.

I don't recognise your pic as any Gotohs I've seen (I was recently researching them to find out about my tuners, and that doesn't seem the Gotoh style either). It has a sturdy look like I've seen in Fusteros, but those designs aren't anything I've seen, but I've only seen a couple pics of Fusteros...

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 29 2008 12:44:15

jshelton5040

I suspect they are an Alessi tuner made expecially for Conde. Much like the custom tuners they make for Ramirez. I also think they're ugly and overpriced.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 29 2008 14:18:53

gj Michelob

RE: Tuners? (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: jshelton5040
I suspect they are an Alessi tuner made expecially for Conde. Much like the custom tuners they make for Ramirez. I also think they're ugly and overpriced.

No John they are not by Noccolo' Alessi; I know him well and have an assortment of tuners he made, including those he designed for Ramirez replacing the Rodgers. We had discussed those Aztec engraved on the top Conde and they are German made, also according to GSI.

I do not what is it about Fustero but unless I have my way with pegs, I stay with that classic quite comfortably. It seems to belong on Spanish made!!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 29 2008 14:59:06

jshelton5040

RE: Tuners? (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

ORIGINAL: gj Michelob

No John they are not by Noccolo' Alessi; I know him well and have an assortment of tuners he made, including those he designed for Ramirez replacing the Rodgers. We had discussed those Aztec engraved on the top Conde and they are German made, also according to GSI.

I do not what is it about Fustero but unless I have my way with pegs, I stay with that classic quite comfortably. It seems to belong on Spanish made!!

I guessed Alessi because of the little caps over the gear screws. They're still ugly in my opinion. Fusteros are nice looking and high quality but also overpriced. Why should a good set of tuners cost more than a high quality electric drill or circular saw? I could buy a small metal lathe and make my own tuners but couldn't imagine making an electric drill.

I notice even Gotoh is trying to break into the overpriced tuner market with some that are over $200. I used to buy the same Gotoh machines that now sell for $70 or more for $12. Do you think their production costs have risen over 500% in the last few years? What a rip-off! Good quality machines should sell for no more than $10-20.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2008 6:34:19

gj Michelob

RE: Tuners? (in reply to jshelton5040

i know that in Niccolo' Alessi's case the price is remarkably increased by the the shape and engraving which is done by hand, one piece at a time, and with a very limited outpour with different artisans contributing to it and the price.

Fusteros, which are nice indeed but not necessarily the most accurate mechanics, are getting really expensive, you can still get them at LMI for $250 but at GSI they already are selling for 450.

I agree with you wholehartedly that these machines are exceedingly overpriced and perhaps overrated. A set of sterling silver Rodgers can be a nice touch... but sometimes costing as much as a fine student guitar (1 to 2 thousand dollars).

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2008 20:15:53

Taranto

Has anyone tried Rubner? Opinions?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2008 2:54:26

Taranto

Those are made by Knut Welsch http://www.gitarre-welsch.de/special.htm#accessories
I suspect he is not offering them anymore.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2008 4:43:38

Jim Opfer

RE: Tuners? (in reply to Taranto

Inspired by the Klingon Empire? :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2008 5:17:01

Trev

Thanks for the reply´s hombres. I thought they were Alessi as well but wasn´t sure. It appears that Andres Marvi has used them as well on at least one guitar.
http://www.ad-marvi.com/en/guitars/detail.html

For the record I think they are cool. I tend to like a break from tradition, cosmetically speaking. Of course I was a rocker back in the day.

Good jokes too guy´s. Aztec and Klingon indeed.
I was thinking Arabic...

Trev

el_palido
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2008 7:43:43
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message