Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Vicentes POETA   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Stu

Vicentes POETA 

Any reviews/thoughts on this album?

Stu
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 4:54:00

Arash

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to Stu

If you like classical orchestra music mixed with flamenco tones, you may like it but i personally dont like it. Not flamenco enough.
All his other albums (De Mi Corazon Al Aire , Vivencias Imaginadas, Ciudad de las Ideas and Un Momento en el sonido) were much better imo.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 5:16:20

linda elvira

For me it was worth buying it.
At first I was a little disappointed because of the orchestra and the poems in between, but after listening it a few times I really got to love it.
If you know Vicentes music, you will recognize a lot from his other albums, but because of this combination with the orchestra and poetry, I think it's also very different and original.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 6:05:34

Florian

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to linda elvira

personaly i love Poeta.. its a classic..up there with Gerardo's Salome soundtrack..its a tastefull mix of orchestral and flamenco guitar....( i only have those two as orchestral and flamenco mixed)

and the title "Poeta" its never been more true then with Vicente Amigo..when it comes to melodic lines to me hes a world apart..on every cd , every intro every guest appearence on someones album i never heard a falseta or intro that didnt made me think ..wow thats a beautiful different take on that ...the most consistant good composer in flamenco today i think...

there's noone like him out there in flamenco as far as compositions go..every album every track hes done its genius, hes his own genra

and u cant recognize anyones style as eazely as u can distinguish vicente even if u havent heard the track before..thats also testament to his style and conistency

and hes not even my fav guitarist
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 10:13:41

XXX

its just a neutral question and no offense but... what is actually the urge to do a mix of flamenco guitar and orchestra? i mean, several guitarrists have done it until now, and i cant remember any of these projects beeing a big success under flamencos. at least not the flamencos i know.

is it maybe a try to get more people inside flamenco, who are used to hear more classical music?

Just a quick list of guitarrists who did this im sure there are others:

PdL
Pepe Justicia
Canizares
V. Amigo
Juan Carmona
Thomas Hickstein

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 11:38:43

Florian

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to XXX

its a fine question and no reason why anyone would be offended...

well its a pretty natural collaboration.....i think..they highlight eachother well..a guitar has never sounded so beautiful and crisp then after an orchestral passage...and a orchestra has never sounded so powerful and solemn then after a soft guitar passage...just two extremes that happen to mix beautifully togheder

and i disagree..Vicente, Paco, Gerardo have been very succesfull imo, depending on how you judge it..to me the music has been a succes..for me atlist on my cd player

at the end of the day...thank god they dont allow theyr ideas to be curved by what we or "the flamencos" want..i respect so much people with cojones big enough to be themselfs and listen to themselfs againt outside pressure and expectation..people with convictions about theyr own taste

creativity would die...because we all just wanna hear stuff we are familiar with, songs with words we know, catchy familliar tunes if it wasent for "young punks" beeing disrespectfull to music we would all still be listening to Elvis and the Beatles who ofcourse were themselfs at one point described the young punks with disrespect for music .....someone needs to push us and force us to expend our horizonts...expecially flamencos..

Every generation tries to control it and make it halt at theyr level of understanding
but ofcourse that never works because there will never stop beeing young people who wanna add a litlle of themselfs into it and take it theyr own way ...(and creativity is public domain is theyr birth right )

i dont want anybody to listen to me on how they should play when i am 60, 70, 80 because i am just going to try and make then conform to me instead of me adjusting my ears and trying to conform to them....come to think of it i dont want anybody to listen to me now...nothing besides technical stuff, i dont wanna listen to someone playing my ideas..i wanna hear theyrs etc...

we all pick a era we like and are comfortable with and stay there...

i might not like and get all the experiments, i might even winge sometimes but i am certainly glad they are happening..thats art

Oh Deniz..i kind of got sidetracked (for something different ) talking about taste and creativity in general, i often think about things like that...I dont mean to suggest anything that reflects on you...just personal , general views on things..i am not suggesting anything..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 12:31:32

Munin

I love flamenco guitar/orchestra albums. I adore Juan Carmona's Sinfonia Flamenca and the more symphonic elements of Tauromagia. I think under the wings of a great composer, it can be blended really really well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 12:51:39

Adam

Oh man, what an album! It's one of my absolute favorites (and I love all of Vicente's music, but to compare Poeta to, say, Ciudad or Vivencias is just unfair). I remember the first time I heard it, it was in the background while I was doing work, and I was just blown away...I went to dinner a changed man .

I've thought a lot about this whole flamenco/classical fusion thing, so before my rant, here's full disclosure: I'm a complete sucker for a lush orchestration. Kind of my thing. So there. That explains why every time I listen to "Poeta en el Mar" or "Poeta en el Viento" on that album, I'm completely blown away - that piece really isn't flamenco in any meaningful way, what makes it great is the heavy element of Romantic orchestral music, with a bit of Vicente thrown in for fun. This kind of gets down to just why the classical/flamenco fusion is so damn tricky - classical music and flamenco music are by and large extremely divergent ways of approaching music. Gustavo Montesano's "Flamenco Fantasy", where he does classical standards "aflamencao", is an awesome album but very very little of it is truly flamenco. Classical music, for the most part, is about achieving music (achieving beauty, emotional transcendence, whatever music is about - I think classical and flamenco actually aim at the same thing, whatever it is) through planned structure and rigidity. By setting the terms of the music beforehand, it allows for the music to be taken to a damn near transcendent level, whether through the use of an enormous orchestra to just pull the music up (like a Mahler symphony) or through extremely intricate harmonization (like a Bach fugue). Flamenco achieves music (despite its structural rigidity) through unadulterated outburst of raw emotion, through fluidity and spontaneity, through improvisation. Of course, at the same time it necessarily loses some of the grandeur that one gets in classical music by requiring fewer people, and less music planned out in advance.

So getting these two things together seems extremely difficult. They want to get to the same place but they have extremely different means for achieving it. I've been thinking over the classical/flamenco "fusion" I have, and the only example that strikes me as achieving this balance well (and even this one gives me some pause) is my other favorite song from "Poeta", the guajira at the end. I'm still not sure exactly how (or even if) it goes about achieving the balance, but I think it has something to do with the way the orchestra plays its role, sometimes acting like a good larger-than-life classical orchestra, but very often using its prescripted grandeur to sound flamenco, to sound as if it is light and free right along with Vicente's guitar.

If anyone else has any other recommendations for good flamenco with orchestration, I'd love to hear!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 13:57:25

Florian

quote:

If anyone else has any other recommendations for good flamenco with orchestration, I'd love to hear!

Salome soundtrack by Gerardo if you can find it..you will love it

make sure its Gerardos version theres a couple..i will post you some samples in the audio section u can decide for yourself..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2008 14:11:02

Ricardo

I like the Alegrias A LOT on Poeta, but that is about it.

The love for guitar and orchestra comes from the Rodrigo Concerto, it is so pretty and MANY people identify spanish guitar with that piece. But flamenco guitarists know how much BETTER it COULD be. Manolo Sanlucar has been pretty successful doing that over the years, and Vicente was his student so....

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2008 8:37:45

XXX

im just curious how far fusion will go. maybe add a singer to the orchestra? cajon? dancers? castannetts? imagine a stage with more than 100 performers... you could leave your guitar and go to the toilette, and nobody would notice! i think i start to like the idea of having an orchestra

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2008 12:02:57

Adam

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

I like the Alegrias A LOT on Poeta, but that is about it.

The love for guitar and orchestra comes from the Rodrigo Concerto, it is so pretty and MANY people identify spanish guitar with that piece. But flamenco guitarists know how much BETTER it COULD be. Manolo Sanlucar has been pretty successful doing that over the years, and Vicente was his student so....

Ricardo

That reminds me of when I saw de Falla's opera "La Vida Breve" last month staged by the NY Philharmonic. There's a flamenco scene or two, and they imported some legit cantaors and a beautiful bailaora, but the guitarist they got was clearly some classical player who'd never touched flamenco in his life. He was clearly playing whatever Falla wrote as an imitation of rasgueaos but it just sounded like a mess. The Philharmonic must have just found some really talented classical guitarist and assumed he'd be good for the job, I can only imagine what those cantaores who had to accompany him must have been thinking!

It's all because classical guitar is so damn different from flamenco guitar. It's why the only version of Rodrigo's concerto (which I love) which I'll listen to is Paco's.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2008 12:18:16

Adam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

im just curious how far fusion will go. maybe add a singer to the orchestra? cajon?

"Soy Gitano" anyone?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2008 12:19:41

kovachian

I'd like to hear a flamenco and/or classical guitar accompany an opera singer. Oh yea!

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2008 18:29:57

Ricardo

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to kovachian

quote:

ORIGINAL: kovachian

I'd like to hear a flamenco and/or classical guitar accompany an opera singer. Oh yea!

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2008 8:11:24

kovachian

Daaamn I didn't know Parkening did flamenco! He's even better than I thought.

Now if I could just find some delta blues mixed with Gregorian Chant, I'll be in business.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2008 17:14:43

Stu

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to kovachian

Thanks for the comments folks, I kinda heard bits of it and was turned off, I generally don't really like flamenco with orchestral stuff. I do love his other albums and wasnt really gripped by this one. Maybe ill give it another listen sometime.

Stu
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2008 1:43:16

Florian

quote:

Thanks for the comments folks, I kinda heard bits of it and was turned off, I generally don't really like flamenco with orchestral stuff. I do love his other albums and wasnt really gripped by this one. Maybe ill give it another listen sometime.

u have to be in the mood for it imo..u know u dont put it on when u are in the mood for some Flamenco Puro etc....to me its more like a score soundtrack (cause of the production and orchestra ofcourse)...even tho it its mostly actual flamenco palos..

Its very much a background...relaxing or cafe type of cd...but still to me its brilliant work..we dont need to label it...just beautiful, inspiering melodyes

But usualy i am with you..i am a litlle over Orchestra, Viola, Violin, Piano, Bass, Sax...etc. and Flamenco mixes

( I dont compleatly hate it i hear some places where those instruments are used really well...but in some other places i hear it just to cover the fact that the guitarist falsetas are a litlle thin by themselfs or arent melodyc or creative enough, on theyr own or they dont have enough interesting material for a whole track and throw in a sax solo or whatever ..or just for the novelty of having another instrument or being different and modern ..only this days its lost its novelty a litlle...to me anyway)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2008 3:23:05

Stu

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to Florian

quote:

But usualy i am with you..i am a litlle over Orchestra, Viola, Violin, Piano, Bass, Sax...etc. and Flamenco mixes

( I dont compleatly hate it i hear some places where those instruments are used really well...but in some other places i hear it just to cover the fact that the guitarist falsetas are a litlle thin by themselfs or arent melodyc or creative enough, on theyr own or they dont have enough interesting material for a whole track and throw in a sax solo or whatever ..or just for the novelty of having another instrument or being different and modern ..only this days its lost its novelty a litlle...to me anyway)

me too. however, what about chicuelo? I know you like him and I do too. his latest album has lots of other instruments but it doesn't bother me, infact it makes it! guess its not quite the orchestral thing weve been discussing though
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2008 3:43:22

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stu

me too. however, what about chicuelo? I know you like him and I do too. his latest album has lots of other instruments but it doesn't bother me, infact it makes it! guess its not quite the orchestral thing weve been discussing though

I think its because there is almost no flamenco compas in POETA .....just orchestra music as background and guitar noodling over it......
"El Mar de tu Sentir" and the Guijira ....ok....but rest ?

Chicuelos latest Album is great. It is very flamenco mixed with some other instruments but the flamenco thing is not missing.
You have the Palos, you have palmas, you have cajon....you have everything what makes flamenco exciting.....The Solea Por Bulerias for instance is one of the best compositions imo.....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2008 3:54:47

Florian

quote:

me too. however, what about chicuelo? I know you like him and I do too

True I do like him..however i would love to hear a less produced album from him...just guitar/cante and palmas or cajon...theres always so much going on

I must admit i do like some of the instruments used...eg. in his new tangos...

quote:

I think its because there is almost no flamenco compas in POETA .....just orchestra music as background and guitar noodling over it

Yes but i think Chicuelos solo album and Vicentes Poeta is 2 completely different things..

Chicuelo is doing his flamenco thing...In Poeta vicente was exploring, experimenting etc.. Just like Paco did Concierto de Rodrigues , Nino Josele did Paz etc..

this is Chicuelos 2nd solo album..

Vicentes done 5 solo albums allready...4 of wich are flamenco

Even tho Poeta has some flamenco in it I dont think it was the genra he was aiming for, I think it was a calculated and deliberate step outside certain boundries..perhaps he was testing new markets, looking to appeal to a wider audience outside flamenco, or just wanted to work with an orchestra or was inspired by some poems...I really dont know....but obviously he wanted to step outside the flamenco restrictions for this album..

this is not really a question of how flamenco the album is or isnt..the amount of flamencones was deliberate..one either likes it or he dosent, fair enough...but one could miss out on a awful lot of beautiful music around the world and around different styles by judging the worth of all music on how flamenco it is..

sometimes theres just beautifuly expresed music out there that dosent require a label or a genra to enjoy and feel inspired by it and find the beauty and art in it.

even the most flamenco of flamenco guitarists have some of they favs and influences and artists or music that inspire them outside flamenco

Vicente - Pat Metherny
Gerardo - Rafael Rabello (I think someone mentioned it to me)...Ricardo would probably know
Paco - Chick Corea
Tomatito - George Benson
Jeronimo - American music (he says, i am not sure what that means exactly)
Farruquito - Michael Jackson
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2008 5:34:49

Ricardo

quote:

True I do like him..however i would love to hear a less produced album from him...just guitar/cante and palmas or cajon...theres always so much going on

Same label about the same time released Duquende live. In terms of just guitar, even though he is accompanying, there is a lot more guitar going on in that album to check out of Chicuelo. Because it is just him, duke, and the cajon (very low in the mix). So it is exactly like you describe, and for the same reasons as you I prefer it. Of course if he wanted to make his own album that stripped down, it would be redundant, so hence I am not surprised by the more produced guitar solo project.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2008 5:56:35

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

Even tho Poeta has some flamenco in it I dont think it was the genra he was aiming for, I think it was a calculated and deliberate step outside certain boundries..perhaps he was testing new markets, looking to appeal to a wider audience outside flamenco, or just wanted to work with an orchestra or was inspired by some poems...I really dont know....but obviously he wanted to step outside the flamenco restrictions for this album..

this is not really a question of how flamenco the album is or isnt..the amount of flamencones was deliberate..one either likes it or he dosent, fair enough...but one could miss out on a awful lot of beautiful music around the world and around different styles by judging the worth of all music on how flamenco it is..

sometimes theres just beautifuly expresed music out there that dosent require a label or a genra to enjoy and feel inspired by it and find the beauty and art in it.

even the most flamenco of flamenco guitarists have some of they favs and influences and artists or music that inspire them outside flamenco

Vicente - Pat Metherny
Gerardo - Rafael Rabello (I think someone mentioned it to me)...Ricardo would probably know
Paco - Chick Corea
Tomatito - George Benson
Jeronimo - American music (he says, i am not sure what that means exactly)
Farruquito - Michael Jackson

Dont get me wrong.

I am not the type of guy who is hearing flamenco 24 hours a day and who doesnt like or accept other genres.

I like Jazz and some classical music as well as Rock and Pop and i even like house music when i am in a party or when i am jogging and i even like Elevator music when i am in an Elevator.

But i dont want to hear Elevator music from Vicente Amigo, Paco de Lucia, or the other Maestros.
When i buy an Album from these Artists, i am in the mood for flamenco and so i expect at least some Flamenco in it!

Experimentation and influences from other Genres and other musicians is good. You can mix jazz elements, modern falsetas, other instruments, etc. in your production.

But as a flamenco guitarist, completely leaving the flamenco genre in some pieces and expect that everyone has to see the beauty in it? No, there were and are some "experiments" that some people like me dont like. One has to accept that.

I mean if Vicente wanted to reach a wider audience with Poeta, ok, maybe he did, and i am sure that some poeple that usually dont hear flamenco, did like this Album, but at the same time i am sure that he lost a small group of flamenco audience with this album, simply because this group wants to hear flamenco when buying an album from a flamenco musician.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 1 2008 2:07:27

Florian

quote:

But as a flamenco guitarist, completely leaving the flamenco genre in some pieces and expect that everyone has to see the beauty in it? No, there were and are some "experiments" that some people like me dont like. One has to accept that

ofcourse mate..u are totaly entitled, not everyone has to like the same thing i am not saying u should like him..

What i mostly wanted to get across that this wasent a gonne wrong attempt at flamenco..it was something else...some like it and some dont, i dont know if elevator music describes it correctly..( i dont even know what elevator music really is...we always use the term around but i am not sure what it acctualy really is...seems like whatever we cant clasifie as flamenco and has guitar in it we call it elevator music...what are we gonna do if they start playing paco de Lucia in the elevators ? ) we gonna have to come up with an entirely new name did we invent that term here btw ? perhaps call waiting music next

quote:

he lost a small group of flamenco audience with this album, simply because this group wants to hear flamenco when buying an album from a flamenco musician.

not me, i loved what he did with it....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 1 2008 3:17:07

Arash

Ok, elevator music was a little mean.........lets call it Solea por ascensor or something
j/k,,,,,lets agree on the fact that there is no accounting for taste...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 1 2008 3:38:56

Florian

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to Arash

quote:

lets agree on the fact that there is no accounting for taste

ofcourse..infact if someone said..

"I gave it a chance listened, i didnt like it"

my answer could only posibly be.."Fair enough" theres nothing else to be said
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 1 2008 3:43:32

Adam

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to Arash

Arash - I think you're a bit quick to call Poeta elevator music. You may hear that, but I think it's anything but. All about taste...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 1 2008 6:20:50

paleto3

quote:

what is actually the urge to do a mix of flamenco guitar and orchestr

I think that a guitarist like Vicente Amigo, Manolo Sanlucar, Paco de Lucía, Gerardo Núñez, Rafael Riqueni, Juan Carmona, J.M. Cañizares find that they have played in lots of musical formations, but by their nature are open minded people looking to learn and experience something new.

Composing and performing with an orchestra probably has taught each of them many things and offered them some new ways to express themselves musically. I would say it's the novelty of the experience for them, new expressive opportunities, a learning experience, plus widening the audience by performing for not only classical enthusiasts but everyone else who finds themselves in the theater for the performances.

This thread has benefited from some good responses, I want to say some of you got pretty thoughtful here, which was nice to see.

I like the orchestral recordings, but don't listen all the time. They are but one mode of expression, and while many may not be as flamenco as some would like, they do have a value and should be appreciated for what they are, not just criticized for what they are not.

I really like Vicente Amigo's playing under every circumstance I have heard him, so I suppose I have a bit of a bias towards the positive.

In any case, thanks to all of you for your thoughts.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 9:25:50

XXX

RE: Vicentes POETA (in reply to paleto3

Sure nothing against being open minded. Rafael Cortes for example starts his Bulerias with a "rock riff", or he has just arranged recently Mozart's "a la turca" por Bulerias. Together with a violinist from Vienna or so. What im trying to say is... discovering new things to contribute them to flamenco: ok. Doing something like Poeta, et al. to end up somewhere in the middle of nowhere, thats not my cup of tea. And thats the part i dont understand. But actually i dont know what Vicente did think when making this album.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2008 9:43:21

Adam

Weird, I can't seem to find Salome anywhere. Any idea where I can get it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 11 2008 18:35:54
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post