Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Pitingo   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

val

Pitingo 

While in Spain I was exposed to an almost daily dose of Pitingo's Souleria DVD and loved it. Never really listened to him before - I hadn't realised he was so gorgeous.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 6:22:18

Jan Willem

RE: Pitingo (in reply to val

IMO it's just bad taste. But a great talent that's for sure!

JW
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 7:09:22

Hola Val

Don't you like flamenco? This artist and his music are not flamenco. When this is described as flamenco, it does a great disservice to the art. As they say in Cádiz: " Es pa' tirar a los leones".

Suerte

Seán
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 7:13:20

Florian

RE: Pitingo (in reply to Guest

quote:

Don't you like flamenco? This artist and his music are not flamenco

that's a matter of opinion I love Pitingo !! love him but even if i didnt i wouldnt agree with your comment..

quote:

When this is described as flamenco, it does a great disservice to the art

well .. Pepe y Juan Habichuela, Juan Carmona, Antonio Carmona, Javier Barón, Carmen Linares didnt think so because they all collaborated on his album..

Don't you like flamenco?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 7:51:06

Munin

quote:

Hola Val

Don't you like flamenco? This artist and his music are not flamenco. When this is described as flamenco, it does a great disservice to the art. As they say in Cádiz: " Es pa' tirar a los leones".

Suerte

Seán

It's this kind of elitist snobbery that does a disservice to the art.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 7:57:32

Florian

RE: Pitingo (in reply to Munin

OLEEEEEEEEE Munin

we havent spoken much but i can tell we gona be good mates
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 7:58:51

Ron.M

RE: Pitingo (in reply to Florian

Hey Flo...
How come you spell difficult English words like "collaborated" and "rhetorical" OK, but get really simple words like "being" and "actual" wrong?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 8:41:09

Florian

RE: Pitingo (in reply to Ron.M)1 votes

because i dont check the spelling for ones i allready know
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 8:50:21

Ron.M

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 8:55:43

koella

Hey, your avatar reminds of the cover of Donald Fagen's nightfly.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 8:59:04

Florian

RE: Pitingo (in reply to koella

damn i knew i forghot something..cigaret and tie !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 10:48:48

Estevan

quote:

quote:

[Sean]:
When this is described as flamenco, it does a great disservice to the art

[Florian:]
Pepe y Juan Habichuela, Juan Carmona, Antonio Carmona, Javier Barón, Carmen Linares didnt think so because they all collaborated on his album..

Flo, you should know that you can't trust flamencos with their own music - least of all gitanos!

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 11:05:39

Matic

quote:

because i dont check the spelling for ones i allready know

hahah

vengo de los san migueles
si no me caso este año que yo
me caso el año que viene
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 12:44:29

val

quote:

Don't you like flamenco? This artist and his music are not flamenco. When this is described as flamenco, it does a great disservice to the art.

Seán
What a strange thing to say. I don't recall mentioning flamenco in my post. Sure I like Flamenco and unlike many here, even Cante Jondo. I also like music with a flavour of Flamenco and also music that is not Flamenco at all. I enjoy classical guitar, Celtic music, Heavy Metal, Tamla Motown, Soul and even Country and Western (I've even been known to line-dance on occasion). What I've never come to enjoy very much is Rumba, although I tolerate it.

I'd never seen or listened to Pitingo before and after daily exposure to Souleria on a loop for over a week, I thought he was a terrific and versatile entertainer with an amazing voice and sexy body. I thought his backing singers were great (particulary enjoyed Killing Me Softly), likewise the band.

Thanks Florian and Munin for backing me up here.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 13:58:24

cathulu

Honestly, not sure what to think of Juan Carmona. I got one of his albums in the bargain bin and some of it was pretty strange although I think I liked one track, got to listen to it again... Caminos Nuevos or something like that?? Maybe that was why it was a bargoon...

I'd like to check out this Pitingo guy when I back home.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 14:10:15

Florian

RE: Pitingo (in reply to cathulu

Ok just to clarifie i was refering to the first album beeing flamenco..didnt realize he had a second ?...and my connection was too slow to check out Val samples..

but i heard the guy's first album, ive seen videos of him singing with Gerardo..i dont care if this peticular album is not flamenco..other flamencos have done other things but people dont say they not flamenco..

to say that anyone that listens to him dosent like flamenco its not all that cool

quote:

Honestly, not sure what to think of Juan Carmona

he is a great guitarist..i am not too crazy about some of his compositions but some i do like

quote:

Caminos Nuevos

I ve never heard of that one and i got 5 of his albums...how many albums did this guy make ?

My favourite album of his is Borboreo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 14:25:49

Estevan

RE: Pitingo (in reply to cathulu

quote:

[cathulu:]
Honestly, not sure what to think of Juan Carmona. I got one of his albums in the bargain bin and some of it was pretty strange although I think I liked one track, got to listen to it again... Caminos Nuevos or something like that??
quote:

[Florian:]
he is a great guitarist..i am not too crazy about some of his compositions but some i do like

You guys are confused, you're talking about Juan Carmona the French guy. The one who plays with Pitingo is Juan Carmona Amaya, aka Camborio, aka Habichuela Hijo - the son of Juan Habichuela (from Granada and Madrid). He is a great guitarist, but doesn't have any albums of his own.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 14:38:10

Florian

RE: Pitingo (in reply to Estevan

oh i should say i knew all along i was just testing you ....well done
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 14:45:23

mrMagenta

I respect his work because he's adding to a base he knows well. He's going out on a limb to do something he obviously likes.. Sure, the soul stuff is an acquired taste, but this is very far from some sort of: 'i can't do it.. so i fuse it'.

I like his voice and he sings flamenco really well, for sure.

.. I'm no authority on afromusic so perhaps the soulisms sound very tacky to people immersed in that music.
my sister and my girlfriend both said 'YUCK!' when they heard the souleria from his first album. To me it sounds fine.. I can take it :-).. sounds better without the studio production though
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 15:06:40

Munin

I like that soul sound too. I do think he overdoes it sometimes, and he also has way too many covers on his most recent album, but I do like what he's doing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 15:14:36

henrym3483

pitingos a versatile singer great voice, i won the dvd and cd signed copy off flamenco world a while back, watched both really upbeat and fun to listen to, i really like the album pitingo con habichuelas; lots of artists wade into other styles but alot come back to the puro stuff after a while. but as regards this not being flamenco id have to disagree, its not puro or jondo but its fun. i really like his version of gwendoline.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 15:16:15

JasonMcGuire

RE: Pitingo (in reply to henrym3483

Can't people dislike something without going into what is and what is not flamenco. Pitingo is a flamenco singer who is branching out in some new directions because it is what he wants to do. I am pretty sure Pitingo knows more about flamenco than the people criticizing him on this forum. You don't hang with the crowd of flamencos he does without knowing about flamenco. The Alegrias on his CD is a testament to his abilities as a flamenco singer. I personally don't care much for his fusion of flamenco and soul. I think he is trying too hard to convince people he's a soul singer. It sounds forced sometimes to me. But I would never say that he isn't flamenco and does some kind of disservice to the art form. It is people with these sorts of attitudes that do the biggest disservice to flamenco. Have your opinions, like what you like, hate what you hate, but it really isn't any one person's place to decide who is and isn't flamenco. We do that as a community and hopefully as a community we can deal with ridiculously harsh statements like the one that inspired this reply.

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2008 17:24:04

Así se canta! (in reply to JasonMcGuire

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2008 2:19:21

Munin

And your point is? Maybe you'd have one if this was all he was doing on his CDs, but that's unfortunately not true.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2008 2:44:49

Florian

RE: Así se canta! (in reply to Guest

quote:

Así se canta!

is the spanish words just for the effect ?

i realize u live in Spain...i think everyone does by now ...but what nationality are you ? what is your background ?

u have that ...i am a foreigner in spain air about u where u feel the constant need to distict yourself from other foreigners to prove that you get it and constantly remind everyone u leave in Spain..theres always a litlle reference in all your comments to you beeing in Spain lol...eg." As they say in Cadiz" ...

AM i right ? u not spanish are you ? majority of spanish are more open minded and relaxed then the foreigners who feel the constant need to proove themselfs....

But its hard i get it..u just trying to fitt in, none of us get a handmanual on how to be..i wont judge u for that... ...thing is u can afford to be yourself around us...none of us care where u from...noone will dislike you or disrespect u for beeing who u are amigo chill bro

the fact that u live in Spain dosent grant u automatic win to every disagrement..if u got some things to say , say it, give us reasons...lets discus it...but stop using where u leave as a reason..it is not one...70% of people in Spain dont know the first thing about flamenco...so that fact that u leave there gives you about 10% credit over people who dont but...what else u got ? at some point u will need to make some valid points make up the remaining 90%

i have not seen one valid point made by u...just a insult to the artist and as a closer u say something like me and my friends in Cadiz think so lol

its predictable

why isnt this artist flamenco even though his first album was as flamenco as it can be...everysingle track was a palo..hes respected and has worked with big names in the flamenco world ...why isnt he flamenco ?

for something refreshing u should try to be one of those cool foreigners living in Spain..who didnt forghet where they from .. One who encourages instead of beeing negative ...and one who isnt purposly dismisive to other foreigners opinions to proove something..because theres allready plenty of you in Spain
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2008 2:46:40

Kate

RE: Así se canta! (in reply to Guest

LOL or this one.

Dont worry Sean be happy :) I know what you mean.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2008 2:59:43

Estevan

RE: Pitingo (in reply to JasonMcGuire

quote:

Can't people dislike something without going into what is and what is not flamenco. Pitingo is a flamenco singer who is branching out in some new directions because it is what he wants to do. I am pretty sure Pitingo knows more about flamenco than the people criticizing him on this forum. You don't hang with the crowd of flamencos he does without knowing about flamenco. The Alegrias on his CD is a testament to his abilities as a flamenco singer. I personally don't care much for his fusion of flamenco and soul. I think he is trying too hard to convince people he's a soul singer. It sounds forced sometimes to me. But I would never say that he isn't flamenco and does some kind of disservice to the art form. It is people with these sorts of attitudes that do the biggest disservice to flamenco. Have your opinions, like what you like, hate what you hate, but it really isn't any one person's place to decide who is and isn't flamenco. We do that as a community and hopefully as a community we can deal with ridiculously harsh statements like the one that inspired this reply.

OLE Jason! Eso es.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2008 7:39:53

Jan Willem

@ Jason; I agree with the alegrias, it's one of my favourites. We all know he 's a great flamenco and knows and IS much more flamenco than all of us. But being a guy with his talent ( ) I think it is a shame he chose the "soul" path. It is his absolute right to do that as an artist of course. (hum cash cash cash hum)

Why do I think it is not flamenco? The soul singing is one thing (can be interesting musicly altough he overdoes it imo). It's a complete other thing to dress up and make up like he does and then call it a light form of flamenco. The jondo dimension of flamenco is something (imo) you can never ignore. And therefore imo the two don't coincide.

@ Val; sexy body :-)?? You do know he is a very small guy?

Just a joke, my girlfriend liked his looks too when we saw him live. ( It was his horible soul :-) altough he opened his show with some very traditional cante. Probably to shut the purist up. :-)

Jan W
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2008 8:23:11

JasonMcGuire

RE: Pitingo (in reply to Jan Willem

How people say things is important.
quote:

This artist and his music are not flamenco. When this is described as flamenco, it does a great disservice to the art.

Sorry Sean, The artist IS flamenco. Some of his music is not..... I guess you might say I'm not flamenco because sometimes I work outside of the flamenco genre.

How many people do you think have been led to the true art of flamenco as a result of non-flamenco things like Ottmar Liebert, Gypsy Kings, McLaughlin-DeMeola-Paco, Ojos de Brujo, Triana, Ketama etc.?
I would have to raise my hand to be counted in this tally. It was upon hearing Paco along with McLaughlin and Al Demeola that led me to flamenco's doorstep. I am not alone. These artists, however tasteless they may seem at times, do no disservice to the art of flamenco.

Any one else here get into flamenco after hearing it represented in a "less than flamenco" context?

How about you Sean? What was the first flamenco you came in contact with?

I agree with you Jan, its a bit of a shame because he has great talent.

J

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2008 9:24:50

[Deleted] (in reply to val

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2008 9:48:07
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to: