Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Duende - a journey into Flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

cathulu

Duende - a journey into Flamenco 

I just finished a book by Jason Webster called Duende, a journey into the heart of Flamenco.

Basically a guy with a recent degree in Arabic literature or something like that drops everything in his life and decides to try immerse himself in Flamenco in Spain, learn guitar and find Duende.

His experiences include travelling with a gypsy flamenco troup and stealing cars with a Gypsy. Given that names and locations have been changed to protect identities, no point going there.

The book was pretty decent and worth a read, I'd recommend it. It is non-fiction and a personal account. Has anyone read it yet?

Anyways, has anyone met this Jason guy? Is he on the foro? He apparently lives in Valencia with a flamenco dancer Salud. Seen them perform?

Also, he describes gypsy life in one scene where a donkey is in standing in a corner on the fifth floor of an apartment building with ducks in the corridor, and animal **** everywhere. Fires on the kitchen floor, water in buckets when they wash... drug use. OK is this for real or an almagamation of events? Sounds worse then any First Nations reserve I have ever heard about, and that can be pretty bad.

Makes me wonder what gypsy life is really like...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2008 19:13:37

Florian

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to cathulu

quote:

Also, he describes gypsy life in one scene where a donkey is in standing in a corner on the fifth floor of an apartment building with ducks in the corridor, and animal **** everywhere.

Sounds right ..i am sure theres all kinds of extremes and i am sure not all gipsyes leave like that but what you wrote its not ubelivable..my next door neigbours and friends were gipsyes in romania, they have different values and priorities..at the same time they take care of theyr own more then any other minorty or majority group....i guess when you only got eachother that is natural thing to do

quote:

some people tend to romanticize it but the reality is a litlle more raw and a litlle less romantic..is just what it is.. and its never the same for everybody ..some have it good some have it not so good..

just from my experience I couldnt honestly tell you what its like because even thow they were my friends as kids and when my mom was at work sometimes id hang out at theyr house at the end of the day I was still an outsider looking in and seeing it from a safe distance (it must not be eazy when u are a gipsy, when some people have theyr mind made up about you before you even do or say anything)...

My neigbours used to sell cigarets from overseas at the black market and i used to have to go an knock on theyr door late at night to buy them for my mom lol...
they were always very good to me...they loved life, music, dance
It seemed to me like they had everything they needed..and they held very litlle value for posesions..unles they needed it or wanted to sell it....they did love gold..

but i dont wanna generalize or romanticize or presume to know or judge, this was just my neigbours..i ve been into fights before (kids fights lol) with other gipsyes .... my moms sister's husband is a gipsy wich makes my first cousin half gipsy (and they leave the same as we do) shes studying to be a doctor...so u cant generalize because theres all kinds of lifestyles and personalities out there but for the majority i gues its not as romantic as some in the west tend to think it is...sometimes it is and most of the time it isnt

i dont really have a conclusion or some great mesage just a few random things that came to my mind, i dont trust my own experience or knolodge in the subject enough to ever come to a conclusion or honestly say i know what its like and not feel like i am beeing untruthfull

while I am kind of on the subject ...i dont know what its like for other romanians in other places but in australia some people are confused about some things...and I normally lough it off (normaly ignorant people who like to act like they are aware of the world).. it does get annoying after a while

some confuse Romania for the place where everyone is a gipsy because it sounds too much like Romani lol the gipsy population in romania is about 8% - %10...also we dont speak rusian ( i gues its eazy to asume because we were in the estern block) we speak latin ...somewhere between Spanish, Italian and 5% of some really weird words that i have no idea where they are from and arent conected to latin..lol

I dont presume anyone here tought that way, but if anyone ever didnt know or wandered or is ever robbed by a gang or romanians this might make the difference between them leaving you enough money for the bus home or you walking for 3 hours
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2008 20:41:38

mark indigo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 30 2013 9:35:27
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 2:48:18

Stu

Hey cathulu,

I read this book some years ago and I did enjoy it but very soon read elsewhere about the stuff that mark outlines so it kind of tainted it for me.

quote:

there was a thing in the papers a couple of years ago about this guitarist Raphael who is half Spanish half English (i think his dad is english, i guess that's why he doesn't use his surname professionally), grew up in Madrid, now lives in Oxford, UK.

sounds like the guy that teaches ailsa and jenny in oxford!?!

Wasn't there some bit in there where he is taking a leak backstage and someone else is there doin the same and it turns out to be Paco! hmmmm??

stu
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 3:33:31

mark indigo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Sep. 7 2013 16:45:10
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 5:38:13

Estevan

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

I think his name is Russell

His name is Lloyd. ('Tierra de mis padres', anyone? )

There's an article about it:

<< Mr Webster said he went to Spain to learn flamenco guitar in 1993. The book describes his lessons and his acceptance by a band of gypsies and a series of public performances.

But Mr Lloyd alleges when Mr Webster, who has a degree in Arabic from Oxford University, came to him at his Oxford home in 1998, the author was a complete novice - even though it was many years after his mastery of the instrument detailed in the book, published last year. >>

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_/ai_n12756331

...and a letter from Rafael:

"I am the professional flamenco guitarist, Rafael, featured in the article "Acclaimed travel book is paella in the sky, claims flamenco tutor" (6 June). I would like to put some facts straight. The "flamencos" that have heard about this book are deeply insulted and outraged, as to be a musician, dancer or singer of this art, you must spend years, perhaps decades and a lifetime of hard work and dedication to it.

To have mastered this art in supposedly two years (as Jason Webster mentions in his book), he has insulted many aspiring guitarists worldwide ..."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20040613/ai_n12756699

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 6:09:37

edguerin

quote:

one scene where a donkey is in standing in a corner on the fifth floor of an apartment building

that's a scene in "Poligono Sur - El arte de las tres mil" by Dominique Abel, a 2004 documentary (on a balcony and without the ***)

So either donkeys on the fifth floor are quite common or else .....

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 8:32:24

henrym3483

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to edguerin

i read the book, its quite fanciful but then again alot of writers draw stories from other peoples lives and experiences to write fiction, but to say its a travellogue we'd expect a bit of certainty and truth.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 8:41:47

Kate

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Stu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stu

Wasn't there some bit in there where he is taking a leak backstage and someone else is there doin the same and it turns out to be Paco! hmmmm??

LOL this supposedly happened at the Generaliffe when Paco played in Granada. I'd heard this 'urban myth' before I read the book where Jason claims it happened to him. Trouble is that one of Paco's conditions was a super duper exclusive portaloo, so the idea that he was wandering around the woods having a pee alongside members of the audience is ridiculous.

So the book is quite obviously fiction, shame on the publishing house for misrepresenting it as autobiographical. And considering it is about Flamenco there is very little actually about flamenco in the book from what I can remember, nothing at least that could not be picked up by a visit to a tablao.

Another classic is his description of the Priest flogging drugs in Plaza Nueva. I've kept my eye out for this priest ever since but no sign of him.

And the scene with the donkey could also come out of the Irish film "The Commitments" though it is not uncommon to find horses or animals in Poligono tenement blocks. (Talking of which Mark, can you send me the photo you took of me and the snake ). There's a great flamenco song about Grandma keeping a chicken under the bed which is so hungry it farts all the time.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 9:04:13

Jim Opfer

Rafael is a good guy and he told me the same thing. I have absolutely no reason to doubt it is true.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 11:03:30

cathulu

Well, I expected a bit of dramatic licence but Jason seems to have strayed way out there! Seems like this in not unusual given James Frey among others.

I did wonder about picking-up flamenco guitar in a couple of years, seemed bogus to me given my long struggles with it.

Boy, Gypsy life seems really different! Do Gypsy have passports and own property? Just wondering...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 11:22:23

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathulu
Do Gypsy have passports and own property? Just wondering...

Why shouldn't they ? Gypsies, wherever they live, Europe, America etc have the same rights, to vote, have passports, buy property as anyone else. I wouldn't assume that Jason Webster knows anything about Gypsy culture judging from his book. Poverty is pretty much the same the world over, overcrowded housing, high crime rate, bad diets, drug abuse and violence whatever your ethnicity.

A family I know was so poor the children were all sent to work as young as 5 but now these children are adults and despite their poor upbringing have businesses, careers, professions, travel and speak foreign languages, live in lovely houses. Nobody writes about the middle class Gypsies though.

Gypsy life in Spain is changing as they become more integrated and educated, although there are still what they call closed communities where old traditions are kept and the elders rule.

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 12:08:46

Ailsa

quote:

thought Ailsa said her teacher was Francisco Antonio. BTW he was introduced to me once as Tony Clinton.

I have a confession. I have a problem with fidelity. Francisco Antonio is one of my teachers and Rafael is the other. But it's OK, they each know about the other and it's all out in the open.

Tony Clinton's full name is Francisco Antonio Clinton, but his friends call him Tony.

Yeah Rafael is a good guy, great sense of humour, brilliant player. I read Duende before I met Raf and I thought it was a good beach read, but hard to believe it was all one person's experience. I don't know why he didn't say it was a novel, rather than an autobiography. Listening to Rafa talk it sounds as if he felt rather betrayed by Jason Webster, after he had befriended him.

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 12:17:35

Ron.M

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Ailsa

quote:

Yeah Rafael is a good guy, great sense of humour, brilliant player

Yeah Ailsa,
I spent a couple of days with him in Oxford a few years back.
Excellent guy and a great sense of humour!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 12:51:26

Florian

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Boy, Gypsy life seems really different! Do Gypsy have passports and own property? Just wondering...

i am not a gipsy and i dont have either of the two, what does that say about my life i did have a pasport but it was stolen along with my jacket in a club ..waiting for the romanian embasy to return my call, i left a message about 10 years ago

about this Jason guy lol..i dont know...did he acctualy say ' I have mastered it" ...that sounds like a ridiculous thing to say, should have closed the book then...
but at the end of the day if it entertained you in anyway it was worth it...

u know ...like when u watch a movie that is so bad is good ? just bad is not enough but if its really bad it becomes entertaining

i dont think i have ever heard Paco or anyone who would acctualy be entiteled to make that claim ever say that hes a master..or that hes mastered something...even if it was true is such a di*ky thing to say..expecially if you have only been doing it for 2 years
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 13:32:47

Ron.M

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Florian

Yep Flo,
It was probably passed up to Chauchesku himself to deal with, but there was a slight change of plan that made him have to put it into the bottom list of thing to do.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 13:42:06

Florian

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Ron.M

lol no i was still in the country when he was shot..revolution finished about 3 months before i was due to travel to Australia..i know the problem...i called at lunch time while they must have been eating...and i got the answering machine (the mesage did say, leave your name and phonenumber we will call you back)....lol i wish i was jocking

it was eazyer and quicker to become australian citizen then to get my romanian pasport replaced
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2008 13:48:13

andresito

There's a beautifully telling scene in 'Vengo' (and I think Tony Gatlif knows a bit about Gipsy/Rom culture) where the lead character is talking to a friend in the street about booking a band, and when they part ways you see that the booking agent is in overalls pushing a street sweeper... Other people have told me how gypsies in Spain will step out of a new Mercedes with holes in their shoes and pockets spilling crumpled up $50 bills... like Flo says, different priorities...

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 2:04:28

Pimientito

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Kate

quote:

though it is not uncommon to find horses or animals in Poligono tenement blocks.

Yeah, I heard the book was half fiction too and made up of anecdotes. In a ways some of it was obvious because noone with that level of education would walk into the situations he says he did so blindly. Some of his experiences were true though and the book was a fun read more than anything else.

I've seen horses in Tenements and houses with gypsies. When I first moved to Nerja there was a guy in the street who had a horse in his living room. You had to walk through to the kitchen to sit down. Every morning he would open the front door and (much to the surprise of the tourists) lead the horse out of the front door of the house and take it to graze on a patch of grass near the beach.

In another part of town, some of the gypsies had been moved into a tenement from the beach front (where the land was expensive). I went to visit someone one night and pressed the bell for the elevator. To my great surprise there was a donkey in the elevator which had been tethered there for the night. It seemed the obvious place to stable him until morning.

....those days are long gone now and I only wish I had photos of that stuff.

Anyway this is Kate and the Gypsy Shaman in the Granada poligono with the Python. This guy was incredible....an amazing percussionist and he could talk to animals.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 4:25:53

Pimientito

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Pimientito

And again....its quite unusual to get photos out of the poligono. Generally the people dont like cameras so we had a lucky day

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 4:27:57

Ailsa

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Pimientito

What beautiful skin.

Oh yeah, yours too Kate

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 4:50:47

Florian

quote:

What beautiful skin.

typical Ailsa is allready seeing shoes and bags jk.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 6:38:24

Kate

Actually I was terrified as Israel kept trying to put him around my neck. As Mark says this guy can literally charm the birds from the trees. I saw him do it in a Chicago street when we were on tour, the pigeons just flocked to him and landed on the pavement. Everyone in the street stopped to watch. Another time we were in Avila for a gig and while walking round the walled town Israel pointed to a bird in a tree and asked if I wanted him to fetch it for me. He then climbed the tree and came down with the bird in his hand.

His family had this amazing parrot and everyone was teasing me saying I should touch it. By the way they were laughing I knew I was in for a pecking so there was no way I was going near this thing. It was massive with a vicious beak. Anyway the Grandma called the parrot over and talked into his ear (Do parrots have ears ?? I guess so ) and said I could touch him. Well you dont argue with an old Gitana so I held out my hand and the parrot jumped on my arm ran up and kissed me on the cheek. The Grandma laughed and said " I didn't tell him to do THAT "

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 6:51:54

cathulu

I thought Ailsa was referring to the guy Israel! I wonder who is right? I bet I am!

This discussion of Gypsy life is fascinating stuff.

My wife in England as a child saw caravans of gypsies, she was admonished if she was bad she would be sent to them! They would come around looking for old stuff or to sharpen knives iirc.

The reason I asked if they owned property is that they seem to be very transitory. I guess times are changing. I was looking at an old photo of Vancouver and it was less than a hundred years ago when there were horses and carriages on our streets too...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 9:55:18

Ailsa

quote:

I thought Ailsa was referring to the guy Israel!

You guys know me too well. OK, all three of you have lovely skin.

And there was a time when I would have gone for the nipple piercing too. But now..... hmmm, think I'm getting old.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 10:23:39

mark indigo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 30 2013 9:36:01
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 10:35:25

Stu

quote:

This discussion of Gypsy life is fascinating stuff.
My wife in England as a child saw caravans of gypsies, she was admonished if she was bad she would be sent to them! They would come around looking for old stuff or to sharpen knives iirc.

I agree.
I remember gypsies coming to our door asking for scrap when I was a lad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I had always thought/hoped that gypsies from Ireland and UK were quite different from the gitanos.
Not to get negative or anything but the gypsies (or pikeys, as there often called) that we have in UK are not very nice folk!!!

Gypsies from other countries always seemed more appealing but perhaps I'd romanticised them.

Stu
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 10:48:58

mark indigo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 30 2013 9:36:23
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 11:16:57

Florian

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I had always thought/hoped that gypsies from Ireland and UK were quite different from the gitanos.
Not to get negative or anything but the gypsies (or pikeys, as there often called) that we have in UK are not very nice folk!!!

Gypsies from other countries always seemed more appealing but perhaps I'd romanticised them.

Stu

i dont know anything about them i too am confused about theyr background...i didnt even know they existed before i saw the movie snach they looked entertaining in that movie lol

quote:

are not very nice folk!!!

lol no beating around the bush tell us what you really think what makes u say that...did you have a bad experience ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 11:24:44

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stu

You're right the Irish tinkers have a similar lifestyle, in that they would move around a lot to pick hops or whatever but they did not come from India as did the Roma, Manouche, Sinti and Cale people. In England the Gypsies are Romanichal and they are closely related to the Roma ( hence Romanichal - child of the Rom). Most UK Gypsies these days are settled and live in homes as opposed to on the road. Since the law was changed, so that being Gypsy was not considered an ethnicity, anyone can call themselves a ' traveller', it is now considered a lifestyle which nicely sidesteps the racism laws. I know many authentic Gypsies in UK who have nothing to do with the lifestyle traveller and resent that they give genuine Gypsies a bad name.

I was very close to a family of Romanichal in my village. The father was a bare knuckle fighter and he had amazing long hair. One festival he put his whole family on the cart along with the horse which he then pulled by his ponytail along the main street. Sadly the horse fell off and landed on top of him. I know this sounds like a Tony Gatliff film but anyway it was reported on the front page of the Times and thousands of Romanichal from all over the country came for the funeral. They were good people.

In Spain the Gitanos have been settled for centuries. There are no other Spanish Gypsies unless you refer to more recent newcomers from Romania who came to settle in Spain since they joined the EU and there are also the Hungaros who do still travel around Europe with their dancing goats on poles.

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 12:53:51
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message