Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to mark indigo

Well, I've really got no views on this, but here is an amusing story anyway....

About 10 years ago this guy came to my door asking me if I would like my asphalt driveway tarred.
With a heavy Irish brogue, he informed me that the hardcore was already sound (which he readily demonstrated by kicking it with the back of his shoe) and said that it was just begging for a thick coat of lovely tarmac to beautify the property at very little cost.
At £300 he said he would do me a "grand job Sur, a grand job to be sure."

I was a bit wary, (after Alan Bleasdale's "The Black Stuff"..) so I mentioned that I had a friend in the building trade who would have a look at it before I paid anything.
He said, "I don't care who you know Sur...you can get Prince Charles himself down here to inspect it, but it'll be a proper job...that's guaranteed for 10 years...

Anyway, I said OK and asked when they could start.
"Oh, within the next few days Sur, we've got a few jobs going on ATM."

A couple of days later, I was returning from a walk up to the village shop when I noticed what looked like two big furniture removal vans parked in my street along with a dumper lorry.
As I passed the furniture vans I looked up to see this big fat woman in the cabin along with a bunch of kids of varying ages, one of which she was breast feeding.

As I walked into my drive I saw about 9 Gypsies from about 8 to 50 years old, shovelling cold tar onto my driveway, one of them pushing a big hand- roller.

The fact that my car was still sitting there was not a problem to their "can do" attitude...they were simply shovelling the tar around the tyres!

I said "Whoa...wait a minute here...what the hell's going on?"

"Oh, no problem Sur, if you want to move your car that'll give us better access."

I backed my car out, leaving big tracks in the soft tar, which the 10 year old boy tried to smooth out with the big roller.

At the end, they said it was a "grand job" but would need a few days to "settle in".
So I told them to come back in a "few days" and I'd pay them after I could see how well it had "settled in".

No...that was not possible, as they were moving South that evening and required immediate payment in cash.

The communication then became quite threatening, so I decided it would be safer to pay up although I could only offer them a cheque, as I didn't walk around with 300 quid in my pocket at any one time.

"We'll go down to the Bank right now, just make the cheque out to "Cash"....for that's me name Sur...Johnny Cash."

Of course after they'd left it was obvious that they'd skimmed the driveway with about 3mm of tar.
They may as well just have painted it on with a paintbrush..

It came away in chunks about 3 months later and was more bother to clear it all up than have it done in the first place.

Ach!...You live and learn..!

The tar squads are still going around, although I see that these days the "Head Spokesman" is dressed in a fluorescent jacket and hard hat and carrying a clipboard like some official from the Local Council and the little handbills posted through your letterbox have their main "Head Office" phone number as a mobile phone.

Has anyone seen "The Blackstuff"?
Great film!
I should have known better!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 13:49:49

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Ron.M

NBC Dateline has aired shows on Irish Travelers in the USA. Most of their scams involve construction projects. They are known for "bucket scams" and roofing scams. They’ll offer to paint a house and charge only according to how many buckets of paint they use. The owners expect to save a lot of money and end up surprised when they are shown 30 empty buckets when they expected less than ten.

In the USA the attorneys general from several states are going after these groups because girls in their early teens are forced to marry older men from the same community. These wedding ceremonies have even been videotaped.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 14:24:35

mark indigo

quote:

The tar squads are still going around, although I see that these days the "Head Spokesman" is dressed in a fluorescent jacket and hard hat and carrying a clipboard like some official from the Local Council

i've had that one, round here one fella turns up looking exactly as you described and says some of his workmen are resurfacing a road a few miles away and might have some left over asphalt going cheap, would we want some if they've got some left over, very cheap, there's no point taking a little bit back to the depot, there would probably be enough to cover this very driveway in fact, very cheap, bit of cash in hand for the lads, no problem, very cheap.... when he quotes for the area involved it is actually really expensive, that is if they did a good job, and i came up that road this morning and there were no workmen resurfacing the road.....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 14:59:23

Florian

you really have to respect the gipsy mindset...they get by, they always get by..real survivors...no matter what, they find a way..legal or slightly illegal lol (depending on the individual)
and if appearances are anything to go by..they dont seem to get down by how litlle they have, or about things they dont have...they seem to just enjoy what they have and make the most of it and still somehow manage to squize happines out of life ..

if you havent allready seen this i recomend Tony Gatlif movie " Gadjo Dilo" its a perfect example how they manage to be happy under the worst of circumstances...and even thow the movie has tragedies and injustices against the Gipsyes i dont know how it somehow still ends up on a high note.

its like saying "we have had to endure this so long, pain is a normal part of our life that we have learned to still be happy and walk around with dignity even under the worst of circumstances" really good movie
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2008 22:59:07

andresito

RE: Duende - a journey into Flamenco (in reply to Florian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
e...they seem to just enjoy what they have and make the most of it and still somehow manage to squize happines out of life ..

The greatest, most soulful music seems to come out of the ****tiest social conditions... Blues, reggae, flamenco... Music can get you through a lot when you don't have much else... like Bob Marley said, "Music - when it hit, you feel no pain"

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2008 2:49:08

NeZ

I just recently received this book in the mail. I bought a used copy for $0.88 off of half.com. Interesting to read the article and read the info about it's authenticity.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2008 21:00:32

Manitas de Lata

found this from a seller , if the story was inspired from X person i would give a try , now that i know that the guy doesnt play , only with a pen , i dont give attention.
cant found anything where is actually playing , only a video where it seems that is playing Cajon , still no real sound from it.

what a joke
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2024 16:25:50
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote