Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Diego del Gastor > Son de la Frontera?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Exitao

RE: Diego del Gastor > Son de la ... (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

How much has recording affected luthiers' goals and work?

<snip>

Lord knows how many musicians have listened to their playing in recordings or on a monitor and made stylistic changes to take advantage of of sound systems...

Not to discount any of the other good points made in this thread, but noone seems to have picked up on the last idea, that of changing technology, not in the guitars, but in amplication and recording.

A friend of mine reported back to me from one of Gerardo Nuñez's classes in Sanlucar that he said to play through a PA as much as possible, and that that made the sound, so you didn't have to hit the strings so hard.

I read in an interview that Gerardo learnt a lot from playing Sabicas 33rpm LP's at 16rpm (half speed) and learning the music note by note.

I also read in an interview with Manolo Sanlucar that he spent his first months wages as a pro musician on his first tape player/recorder. For the first time musicians were able to listen back to their own playing, what a tool for feedback, composition, working on technique etc.!

It's kinda hard to imagine what the world was like without these things we now take for granted.

Sanlucar also said in same interview that up until the late sixties and early seventies, flamenco's only really listened to other flamenco's, but then they were able to hear jazz, rock, classical, latin American, Indian classical, music from all over the world, and that this influenced him a lot.

I don't know about exact dates or anything, I suspect that these innovations have contributed a lot to the development of modern toque.

I did bring it up, but I'd rather let people talk about what interests them than narrate the thread. Even if it means people try to find new ways to tell me I'm stoopid.

I would like to hear some more comments on this theme.

I will see if I can find those recordings. Thanks!

Jacinto:

On some of your themes, I'm not sure I agree, but I'm not sure I'm willing to argue. I think I have to allow people of different backgrounds to keep their subjective points of view. I was a criminology major, so sociology was a huge anchor of that cross-disciplinary study and for me, there are clear definitions which are already expressed earlier.

I do agree that "high" art in regards to music does seem to be meaningless in an age where musical education is so accessible. The guys who compose music for movies, like Williams or Zimmer, are doing fairly large works, yet we don't really think of it as high art or true classical.

I should also question your suggestion that "flamenco is a solo art." When I look at videos of juergas &c, it doesn't seem solo to me. If I watch a performance with a tablao there are singers, dancers guitarists all interacting. I think it is a trend caused by modern recording that things become solo acts.

But you write well and I'll come back and reread your comments some more as well as watch for new ones.

Chau,

eX

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2008 0:22:17

Exitao

RE: Diego del Gastor > Son de la ... (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

This adds nothing new to the discussion. It should just make my view more clearer.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Exitao

better players tend to buzz less, and the buzzing either compliments the music, or at least doesn't interfere with it. I thought this was elementary, I'm sorry if you think it was more complicated and was something the hinge a war-effort on.

First of, my aim wasnt attacking you, but more to show, that your views are based on too little experience, or rather, that you try to generalize your current experience and views from classical guitar, and cultural understanding about "folk". According to the example with the buzzing (thats only one example): actually no, it is NOT elementary and you didnt say "buzzing compliments the music", you said more that it comes either from the set up of a guitar or from a wrong barring. And again, no, better players dont tend to buzz "less", at least thats not their aim. Thats a too simple statement because it implies "less buzz=better", which is considered true for classical guitar i guess. The only true thing for flamenco would be a statement like better players can control the buzzing better, and dose it better (not too much, not too few). If thats what you meant, ok, but above you wrote something else as a starting note on buzz.

Notation is just a means to write down music, so that you dont have to have it in mind all the time. Ideally, if its good notation, it projects the music as close as possible on/to the paper. So by definition, notation is not supposed to change the music, and therefore has no effect on "what kind of music it is". This goes for every culture. Thats not sociology, just logic.

You can learn flamenco with or without notation and/or tabs, videos, cds, in personal with a teacher... it doesnt change the music. You can compare it to a meal. You can eat it with a fork or a spoon. It doesnt change the taste of the meal. They are all means, to transport the real important thing which it is all about, namely the meal, or here: the music flamenco.

Lastly, your comment with de Falla made me laugh. Are you serious in saying that because you cant play (according to your experience again) de Falla in a Juerga, flamenco would not be "cross-cultural" (whatever you understand about that)? So all the CDs and concerts produced since the 1950s did not take place, or are you just again generalizing from one juerga experience or from the statement that only a juerga would be flamenco (did you read that in a Juan Martin book?).

And really lastly, "folk". I have not only explained the word, but also mentioned its etymological background, so, thank you for the tip with the dictionary, but i think i can handle this on my own. I tried to make clear why such a general distinction in "folk" here and "high art" there does not make much sense, but since you have reduced yourself into repeating, i will just leave it at this statement.

What I said specifically was "Buzzing, AFAIK, comes from set-up, or poor fretting. If we're talking about poor fretting, the artist probably doesn't deserve to be among the examples listed here. "
So let's preface this with "[bad] Buzzing, AFAIK, comes from set-up, or poor fretting. If we're talking about poor fretting, the artist probably doesn't deserve to be among the examples listed here. "
OK?

Are you going to keep harping about buzzing? If so, are you sure that luthiers have done nothing over the years to reduce buzzing? A 12 hole bridge does absolutely nothing towards this end? So why change this detail? Why do modern players seem to buzz less? Is it technique, or is it set-up? Go download the two albums I mention in the original post and listen to the huge difference, despite the track essentially being the same music (almost note for note with very little change in that regard).

I'm really rather bored of this one detail, there was so many other themes to latch on to that are really much more exciting to talk about.

Notation is more than that. My teach provides me with notation/tab when we start something new. I work with him, he shows me, I emulate and use the sheet to be able to work on the whole phrase, he corrects me and shows me again. Rinse and repeat, switch to other things we're working one...
And then, I go home with the sheet and am instructed to practice what I have learned, memorise it and work ahead. I come back next week and he has me play for him, he corrects me we go through all of last class's material he asks me to show him the progress I made on the "work ahead" parts and the lesson progresses.

Before notation, he would show me, I emulate the phrase as much as I can remember, he corrects me and I try again. Much more memorisation required more quickly, or, much less progress as quickly. And if I forget part of the phrases I learned during my lesson, I can't practice it, can I?

Modern method - Folk method. See the difference? While teaching methods are changing, the compas isn't. Soleares remains soleares. So if it was folk music 50 years ago, it still is. If we learn hundreds years old Romanian or Celtic folk music through modern notation, it's still folk, even if I play it on electric guitar or any other instrument that didn't exist back then and even regardless of virtuouso technique. The music itself doesn't change unless we change it into something else.
If you're playing a palo "puro" it's still folk. You turn it into fusion, it's now something else. But not flamenco.

If I don't learn it with a teacher, well, there's little chance without tab or notation. And if I learn it without access to the culture or a teacher who has had access, I'll become one of those people on youtube that make you wonder "what the hell was he thinking? That's not flamenco..." Even if I wasn't that bad, would I be able to accompany someone? If I played great solo flamenco guitar but couldn't accompany worth a crap, how flamenco would I be?

You keep wanting to harp on inexperience, please provide your flamenco CV if you really want me to bow down. Now, how is it that Ricardo who's experience I don't doubt manages to be so much more modest than you?

And as for your "laughing," you need to learn to read English better and learn a little more manners and public grace.
I didn't mean anything you seem to have read into my comments about falla. So I'm not going to even bother discussing them with you unless you actually comprehend what you read or at least ask for clarification.

If you can't be civil and are going to insist on being condescending, please don't bother corresponding with me. I've been more than polite with you, not because I'm nice, not because I defer to you, just because that's how we're supposed to be. I find this funny as I've never been able to play well with others, so if you can't keep up a minimum standard of civility I just ain't gonna play with you no more. And if even internet people don't want to talk with you, you have to ask yourself some questions.

Regards,
eX

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2008 0:50:06
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message