Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

change machine head?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rookie07

change machine head? 

hi there,

i've got a amalio burguet abf built in 2003 and now i've got a serious problem with one tuning peg concerning the 1st string (e). yesterday while i was putting on new strings i recognized that the cogwheel of this peg is that woren out so that it is making like wheelspins, i had to use a screwdriver in order to tune the guitar.

this never happened to me before. so i'm right noch in a kind of shock. it's my only guitar and now it seems that i have to change the machine head. at the same time i find it rather odd, because it is not a cheap instrument made by amalio himself, so i suposed it would last longer than 5 years...

nevertheless, i'm no luthier, but would you advise to change the machine head on my own or better go to a luthier?
which machine heads could you recommend, are there any things i have to watch out like size, material, is there a norm so that any machine head must fit...

i will attach a picture where you can see the machine head.

thank you!!!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 0:16:09

krichards

RE: change machine head? (in reply to rookie07

Thats a lot of wear for 5 years! Doesn't look as if there has ever been any lubrication on there.

You can buy 'guitar grease' or use a pencil and just rub the graphite into the cogs.

Burguet uses Rubner machines so you could buy the cheapest Rubners and then swap parts.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 0:39:26

Anders Eliasson

You can find rubner at Madinter.com The different machines with different prices are basically using the same gear, so you can swap gears using a cheap one just as Kevin says. Or you can just put a new set on using the same holes and use the old machines for spare parts

To me it looks like the hole is not really where it should be. Has it always been causing trouble, being hard to tune etc?

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 2:11:05

rookie07

RE: change machine head? (in reply to Anders Eliasson

thank you guys for the hints!

yes, there has been many lubrication - perhaps that is why it is looking a little oxidized wright now. propably i try that one with the graphite of a pencil the next time.

in the last 5 years i played a lot, hihi, it also seems to me that the savarez (carbon strings) have left some insures on my guitar - there is a little scar in the wood caused by a bursted string and it seems that the high tension did something to the machine head. now i usually play la bella 2001 (for the 'flamenco' sound) luthier or savarez 520r.

woudln't it be better to put some other brands of machines on the guitar, or are rubner a good choice?

apart from the wear-problem i think they are quite good, never had problems with tuning or changing string, also i didn't have to turn the pegs with much force...

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 5:51:23

n85ae

From the looks of those tuner's an upgrade to even a plain old set of
Gotoh's would be a BIG improvement. I don't understand why people
make tuner's out of brass, and then don't put any kind of corrosion
protective coating on them.

Having been in the Navy and polished a lot of Brass I can say for
sure that Brass is NOT my favorite metal. :)

Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 6:42:24

kovachian

Wow, those tuners are shot. I'd just replace them outright if that were my guitar. Save the old ones for originality's sake of course.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 7:11:25

rookie07

yeah, it seems to bee better replacing the whole machine head.

if i would buy a new set from rubner in order to fit into the old wholes, would it be better to buy a set made of nickel or brass regarding the corrosion?

greetings ;oD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 8:35:18

srshea

Rookie,

As a non-luthier with relatively modest fix-it skills, I can attest that changing tuners is a simple and easy task. I like the Gotoh Matte, which are clean looking, well-made, brass jobs that cost about 65 usd when I got them. I’ve had them probably a year and a half and they look good as new; no tarnish, no noticeable wear on the gears.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 12:01:17

Patrick

Just put a new set of tuners on. The one thing to note is the roller spacing. Most tuners being built have rollers spaced 35mm (1 3/8"). Be sure and measure yours before you order new ones.

They old plates will likely have left an outline in the finish which may not be covered with the new plates, but it won't be a big deal. Be sure and pre drill the holes for the screws if they don't line up with the old ones (which they likely won't). If you don't, you run the risk of twisting the head off a screw.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2008 12:45:03

rookie07

RE: my new machine head.... (in reply to Patrick

hi guys,

just received the new machine head an putted them on the guitar. it seem's that in future i have to care much more about it. perhaps i used an oil that did affect the brass too.

what kind of oil or lubrication do you use, appart of graphite?

thanx!!!

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2008 0:35:12

Anders Eliasson

quote:

what kind of oil or lubrication do you use, appart of graphite?

Anything low acid. I actually prefer to use a very little amount of roller bearing grease. (bicycle grease)

I have a set tuners like yours, the new ones. They are about 5 years old have received a couple of drops and a tad of grease of oil during their life time. No problems with oxidation but they are a little worn now. Will most probably funcion for some 3 - 5 years more.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 9 2008 0:18:00

rookie07

RE: change machine head? (in reply to Anders Eliasson

hi anders,

thank you for your tipps, i`m looking forward that the machin will last at least another 5 year, hihi!!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 9 2008 8:53:57
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post