Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

What shall I take to work on   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

val

What shall I take to work on 

Hi everyone
And especially Simon. THANKYOU. It's great to have FF up and running again, although it's taken me a while to beat my firewall and manage to log in.
I'm posting a request that I put on the infamous ....net, but of course, had no replies. I'm hoping to fare a bit better this time round.

After another long "rest" from the guitar, I'm off to Spain soon for a couple of months, and I promise, I DO intend to get down to some serious pratice. Re past experience, I did classical for about 4 years with a teacher (many, many years ago), did an intense year of DIY Juan Martin from his book and have danced for about 12 years since then, messing about on and off with the guitar inbetween. My compas is OK and I know and can sing (well, hum really) the various palos and can even play castanets at a fairly simple level.

What I'm looking for is some guidance here - what materials should I consider taking with me to work on? I don't particularly want to be struggling for weeks on some fancy falsettas from tab, but want to learn to play the different rhythms etc that occur within a dance - bit of intro, song, footwork etc. so I can strum along if friends want to practise dancing.

I fancy some Tientos with a bit of Tangos at the end or maybe some Seguiryas with a Bulerias ending. Any ideas? I can read tab and manuscript as long as it's not too complicated and find sound files helpful. I'm still stuck in the top 5 frets of the guitar (but have a nodding aquaintance the others) with and struggle to play by ear.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2008 9:38:59

n85ae

RE: What shall I take to work on (in reply to val

I recently started working on Tientos after working almost only on Solea
and Bulerias for a long time, so it is rather fun to learn.

Ander's demo'd foot tapping on 12,2,4,6,8,10 so I've been practicing
Bulerias this way.

Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2008 10:25:44

Anders Eliasson

Where are you going to stay in Spain. The best would be some teacher or group teaching. Its difficult to find what you are looking for on tabs.

Another thing is that I think that what you are looking for is what you should learn. The falsetas etc. You can always pick up. The basic feel, the chords the compas (the soniquete) is what is important.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2008 12:53:31

val

RE: What shall I take to work on (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

Anders: Where are you going to stay in Spain. The best would be some teacher or group teaching.

Hi Anders
I'll be not far from Malaga. I do have access to a teacher. I'm a member of a Peña which pays for him to come along each week to give lessons to any members who want them. A very generous arrangement which I took up ONCE , but I felt rather nervous going along as an aging English women with only the the very basics of flamenco guitar, sitting in with 3 or 4 talented youngsters who'd been attending for a long time and were obviously dedicated.

He's a great guy though and a great teacher. Perhaps I should try to arrange a couple of privates with him. But it's such a commitment. I'm not sure I'm ready for that and want to have something I can just potter around with at my own pace. I'm in no hurry! I'm also going to be quite busy - attending school each day to learn some Spanish and then an intensive week's dance course with the lovely Juan Antonio

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2008 13:47:43

Anders Eliasson

Val, The best you can do is to take the lessons. Bring a video cam, or a simple digicam with vidio and sound recording facilities, record what your teacher is playing and prectice at home using the video. This is by far the best method. This way you can get the real feel and compas

Also, there´s nothing wrong with being mid aged, Enlish, woman, whatever. Its only in your mind its a problem. We all have our right to party.

My peña in Huelva is filled up twice a week with pupils. Most them not even capable of tuning their guitar. No problem. We are all on our own levels.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2008 23:06:15

val

RE: What shall I take to work on (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

Anders: The best you can do is to take the lessons.

....takes deep breathe ... OK, I'll do it. Thanks for the encouragement.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2008 0:07:46
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post