Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

A new visit to bruné   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

HemeolaMan

A new visit to bruné 

I visited R.E Bruné again today and we had a good long chat about some of the finer points of guitar making and some of his firmly held beliefs. it was refreshing and interesting, and I will share some of the topics with you!

He stressed the importance of a well made bridge. He told me that many makers ignore it, and visually if you look at the physics of the guitar, it only makes sense to invest time in the bridge.

As the natural fulcrum point, it is the strings access to the top, so no matter what the bracing structure or top wood or plantilla, it is the bridge that has most to do with the sound of the maker.

I also learned that even though lutes look like they´d have kerfing inside, they actually do not. the really only have about 1 mm to .75 mm of gluing surface in contact with the top all the way around!!!

I asked him if the same principle could be applied to guitar and he said that it could indeed, and that most guitars were braced and kerfed to heavily.

It was clear that in his studies and many builds he has found that a minimal amount of structural intervention is necessary. he does however strictly believe in the ricght kerf width for saw blades so that the sides join the neck perfectly, and INCREDIBLY SHARP TOOLS!!!!.

we discussed sharpening stones and he mentioned going up to 30,000 grit!!! they are mirror polished!

I was also impressed by the 51´barbero, the very same one in the plans from GAL, which was a fun guitar!

Another interesting one was a 1860´s torres, which was an astonishingly nice instrument, and incredibly light and thin (1.5 mm on the top!!!) I didnt have the heart to play it very much, but richard demo'd it for me, wonderful sound

Also, a 1970's reyes. Lemme tell ya, the buzz about reyes is true! fantastic fantastic fantastic, just a sublime instrumet!

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2008 17:57:24

Pgh_flamenco

RE: A new visit to bruné (in reply to HemeolaMan

quote:

I also learned that even though lutes look like they´d have kerfing inside

Kerf is the gap left by a saw blade, right? What do you mean by kerfing?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2008 18:18:00

HemeolaMan

RE: A new visit to bruné (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

i think the term kerf is a general term for the width of a cut.

the kerfing i am referring to is the liner blocks that trace the inside edge where the back and sides and the top and sides join.

I've heard it called that, I am open to correction.

My only guess would be that if you look at the lining when its got a lot of "kerfs" in it (as it does sometimes) that it's kerfing.

someone knowledgeable should step in here and take over, I am obviously overextended here! lol

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2008 20:10:21

HemeolaMan

RE: A new visit to bruné (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

accidentally reposted twice, foro is slooooowww lol

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2008 20:19:34

Pgh_flamenco

Thanks, Hemeola. Some of these woodworking terms have a long history and several meanings.

I know very little about luthiery--all of this is a learning experience for me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2008 21:07:25

Anders Eliasson

I tried to make a quote, but failed....

So besides saying that the bridge was so important (I agree) what did he say about the bridge. What was his ideas?

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2008 23:01:50

HemeolaMan

RE: A new visit to bruné (in reply to Anders Eliasson

chiefly, the flexibility of the center of the bridge, as in the part with the saddle in it, contributes to bass response.

i guess reyes or barbero (cant remember which) used to make a cut on either side of the tie block/saddle area which allowed the central portion to vibrate more freely and i think this gavea louder bassier response. i think thats perhaps what he was getting at, i'll upload a pic of the section im talking about.

Please ask me more questions, so much was talked about i may be forgetting to mention stuff!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2008 13:02:24

Anders Eliasson

Ok, there are many different ideas out there by different builders.

I personally dont need a louder bassier response, so I´ll stick with what I´ve got until now.

But I agree that the bridge is very important, so here´s my ideas, which I think are very general.

Mass. The bridge should be light. A flamenco bridge I make with the wings around 3,5mm thick and 5,5mm at the centre. Using a good piece of wood is important. The important factors are mass and damping effect. I find that the best bridge material I can get now is Indian rosewood. It has a very low damping effect and is not to heavy and besides consistancy is VERY high. When I buy bridges, I can pick up 20 - 30 or more bridge planks which are basically identical. Madagascar rosewood an be very good as well, but its a lot more difficult to find good quality. A lot of it is a bit loose in the pores.
Braz rosewood used to be the thing, but just as on backs and sides, what is sold as Braz rosewood is very often something brown and heavy with a strange smell, where you have no idea what you get. I have decided to completely stop using Braz wood

Design. I think a flamenco bridge should always be made with 12 holes, because it gives you the chance of maintaining a high breakangle even when the guitar gets old and he holes get worn out. Remember that because a bridge has 12 holes, you are not obliged to use them. Its an option. You can tie with 6 holes if you prefer the sound and playabilty of that.

Besides that accuracy in making the saddle slot and saddle is very iportant

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2008 22:59:22

HemeolaMan

I do recall discussing break angle with him.

He apparently has investigated the physics and along with others, have concluded that it has no effect. Only to the extent of having adequate downpressure. I guess the caveat there is that if a string has enough down pressure in the first place, adding more doesnt change much.

I disagree, because i have retrofitted a guitar with a 12 hole bridge and seen the difference. But, i can see were he is coming from in the overall perspective, its not going to change much.

I do like 12 hole bridges, I think they look neat and trim instead of all those silly knots hanging about.

he did mention that i would need to drop about a grand on sharpening stones, shaptons he recommended.

apparently going all the way up to 30,000 grit! I dont have that kind of money, and I ould be interested in how sharp I really need to make my tools, considering I am NOT a master luthier and I am unlikely to EVER be one.

Respect to the man, but I'm on a budget!!! I trust his advice, but frankly I cant afford it at all!

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2008 11:30:20

Anders Eliasson

To me it it sounds like this guy is a sharpening nerd.

Most of us have a more relaxed relation with sharpening. Get a medium and a very fine diamond stone and if you want to do better, a japaneese 5 - 8000 grit to finish off. To be honest, I dont use that japaneese that much.

What he says about break angle, I agree, but the 12 holes might be what gives you enough. I´ve seen quite a few flamencos with "not enough" break angle.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2008 12:51:02

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: HemeolaMan

I visited R.E Bruné again today and we had a good long chat about some of the finer points of guitar making and some of his firmly held beliefs. it was refreshing and interesting, and I will share some of the topics with you!

He stressed the importance of a well made bridge. He told me that many makers ignore it, and visually if you look at the physics of the guitar, it only makes sense to invest time in the bridge.

As the natural fulcrum point, it is the strings access to the top, so no matter what the bracing structure or top wood or plantilla, it is the bridge that has most to do with the sound of the maker .
quote:

This is true if everything else stays the same as the original maker intended. Things can be adjusted to change sound if other parts of the guitar are changed. If it is a repair and it is to keep the original intent, let's say a master's instrument, then the bridge should have the same size, shape, and mass, or weight to it.

I ran into a slight problem with the Miguel Rodriguez bridge which was too thin, in my opinion, with the holes toward the upper part of the tie block. I kept the same mass but I moved the holes down a little to give more mass to the upper part of the tie block.

This made the string holes closer to the top's surface, and I think it actually improved the sound. The bridge mass wasn't changed but the holes being closer down toward the top improved the sound a little, perhaps by giving a better break angle over the saddle and also gave better support for less string wear on the tie block.

But let's say I'm building other masters' guitar designs with the same bridge and I want to define my own sound. What would I do then? My point here is that fine-tuning will bring sound into the space where other designs don't necessarily go. This is due to slight changes inside the box to comply with that same bridge and its attributes. This works all the time for me, so I don't try and duplicate the exact sound of the masters' but try and make them better due to the articulation, volume, and speed with which a players technique will be enhanced.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 23 2008 18:30:28

HemeolaMan

RE: A new visit to bruné (in reply to Tom Blackshear

excellent, that is the kind of encouragment i was looking for!!

I hadn't really thought about tweaking the bridge honestly, I'd heard of doing a little adjusting of the braces etc, but modifying bridges just didnt occurr to me, perhaps because I only now have learned the significance!

I may have to "improve" the barbero design then... assuming the alterations i make are improvements! lol

thanks tom!

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 23 2008 21:08:37

Anders Eliasson

quote]I may have to "improve" the barbero design then... assuming the alterations i make are improvements! lol [/quote]

So how will you improve the sound and have you ever heard the originals sound?

Since these discussions always end "up in the air" with a lot of things being said which cannot be justified in a forum discussion, I always feel they are empty. I could continue in this line saying how I adjust and fine tune, tweak etc, but it´ll just be another set of word babble that will make very little real sence. We can all have these ideas of how we can make a guitar or the world for that matter, better, but often its just intellectual babble just like when all the intellectual hippie communists, anarchists, troskists etc talked about changing the world. It was all in their head, totally mental babble which didnt lead to anything but frustrations.
I dont say that they were wrong not at all, just that as long as things only are in your mind, they are not really worth a lot.

Back to guitars... I dont say that you cant improve, of course you can and I will personally always try to improve. Many things are intuitional, but they have to be proven and you can only proove very few things or one thing a time, so here comes experience, patience and method. And if you dont have all three factors, yoú´ll end up with walking around blind. I have tried many guitars from very experienced builders which were bad, because they were just experimenting with something new all the time.

So go slow and be methodical, if not, you wont have an idea of what you are doing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2008 23:22:32

Tom Blackshear

quote:

excellent, that is the kind of encouragment i was looking for!!

I hadn't really thought about tweaking the bridge honestly, I'd heard of doing a little adjusting of the braces etc, but modifying bridges just didnt occurr to me, perhaps because I only now have learned the significance!

I may have to "improve" the barbero design then... assuming the alterations i make are improvements! lol

thanks tom!

If you are building Richard Brune's plan of the Barbero, then please make a note that even Barbero had to find his flex point on the top to make it work right.

The first guitar I made in that style took me 2 months to tune right, but when Richard received it, he wanted to put it in his collection. I had to talk him into re-selling it.

This Barbero style is not an easy build but it can be rewarding if you get it just right. I found that it worked better with a flat top than trying to dome it. And then try and sand the top with 220 sand paper around the bridge area, a hair thinner to get the flex right.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2008 4:41:25

Tom Blackshear

quote:

chiefly, the flexibility of the center of the bridge, as in the part with the saddle in it, contributes to bass response.

i guess reyes or barbero (cant remember which) used to make a cut on either side of the tie block/saddle area which allowed the central portion to vibrate more freely and i think this gavea louder bassier response. i think thats perhaps what he was getting at, i'll upload a pic of the section im talking about.

Please ask me more questions, so much was talked about i may be forgetting to mention stuff!

The tie block area is designed for stiffer or softer quality, which is higher or deeper frequency, as with the Santos which is about 3-3/8" across to where the Reyes is 3-1/4" across.

Also, the Santos top is not as wide as the Reyes so the Santos bridge is a little shorter in its length; implying that its bridge arms are shorter and stiffer because its tie block is longer. So, yes, bridges do contribute to sound and the higher frequencies or lower frequencies.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2008 6:41:28

HemeolaMan

anders, I have played it. it is in his collection. he of course, played it far better than I did lol. I understand your point of view on the excessive internet babble,

consider however, That I am taking the time to ask about the fine points of a part of the instrument that until now i didnt think was significant.

slow and methodical is the only way i can do this! lol, which is why i ask you guys and brune for advice, because you guys already know the tricks!

Tom, I appreciate the inside pointers there, I had discussed the flat toppedness with brune, and I was surprised to learn that he thought doming was of little importance!! lol, imagine my dismay when i found out that doming isnt really that big a deal lol.

i have always wondered about bridge patches though, i see them in plans sometimes, but there's never really any talk of that they do... would the sanding to create a flex point be sort of the opposite of a bridge patch's job?

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 25 2008 18:33:21

Tom Blackshear

quote:

<snip>

i have always wondered about bridge patches though, i see them in plans sometimes, but there's never really any talk of that they do... would the sanding to create a flex point be sort of the opposite of a bridge patch's job?

There are various functions for the bridge patch but the best advice I can give you right now is to follow the plan. If it has a patch, then use it. One mention of the '57 Hernandez y Aguado I made a plan from, is that it had a patch but also a thinner top graduation right under the bridge itself. So these 2 techniques were used together on that particular style. The thickness difference does not normally exceed about 0.1 mm and slightly feathered out at its edges to become invisible; just a smooth surface.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2008 6:17:52

Tom Blackshear

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Aug. 26 2008 9:52:26
Reason for deletion: duplicate post
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2008 6:19:33

Anders Eliasson

quote:

The bridge path is one of the more controversial parts of a guitars design and I will recommend you to not mix it with the graduation of the top at this point.
In general the bracing layout of a flamenco guitar is much more parallel than on a classical. This in order to make the top looser and with less harmonics and sustain... Flamenco
The Bridge patch makes the guitar stiffer cross the grain, especially if its going almost all the way across the lower bout as on some Barbero designs and TB´s Reyes Plan. This of course adds more harmonics and some more sustain to the design, and that was the reason Barbero started using a bridge path, because he said that it was what the "modern" players of his time were looking for.
I have made the same design without a bridge path, a short patch and a long one. The sound is different, but not that much, and I clearly find that the long bridge patch helps me making an even output. This because the bridge patch helps controling the shape or dome of the top. There is a tendency on guitars without a bridge patch and with a thin top to have some problems with the doming. The bridge can lift so much that the top between the bridge and the side of the guitar can sink. This I dont like at all. It sometimes provokes cracks right where the bridge end because its a stress point.
The bridge patch I use now is long, almost from side to side, very thin, (1,5mm in the center and close to nothing towards the side) its also very narrow, something like 60 or 70% of the patch on TB´s Reyes plan.
I find this patch to be "enough" It controls without trading to much off in terms to much harmonics and sustain.

In the end, you´ll have to find your own way. Its a long but very inspiring way.

I hope this wasn´t to much word babble.

Anders

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2008 13:34:25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message