Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Is there a difference between La Bella 2001F and 820B?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ChiyoDad

Is there a difference between La Bel... 

I noticed that La Bella makes two types of Flamenco strings, the 2001F (black trebles, available in light, medium, or hard tension) and the 820B (black or red trebles, available only in medium tension).

Is there a perceptible difference between the two at medium tension? Does anyone know what the differences are?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2008 2:06:20

HemeolaMan

RE: Is there a difference between La... (in reply to ChiyoDad

yes... the difference is, ricardo uses the black ones.

good enough reason for me! lol jk

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2008 3:09:09

itoprover

820B are better IMHO

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2008 3:35:11

Arash

RE: Is there a difference between La... (in reply to itoprover

quote:

ORIGINAL: itoprover

820B are better IMHO

I second that.
I really didnt like the 2001, but the 820Bs are good.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2008 19:06:40

kovachian

And LaBella is touting the 2001s are basically "new and improved" strings for a modern flamenco sound, whatever that means. Strange.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2008 22:48:26

ChiyoDad

RE: Is there a difference between La... (in reply to kovachian

quote:

ORIGINAL: kovachian

And LaBella is touting the 2001s are basically "new and improved" strings for a modern flamenco sound, whatever that means. Strange.

Ottmar Liebert?

I think I read somewhere that the basses have more windings. Perhaps the 2001s are supposed to last longer?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2008 22:54:15

ChiyoDad

Here's the official blurb from the La Bella catalog (will launch a PDF):

quote:

The 2001 series is the product of intense research and development . Company president Richard Mari Cocco Jr. developed a new synthetic monofilament nylon material called NYLON 202.

NYLON 202 offer superior sensitivity to the touch. These trebles produce a greater aural transparency, and are capable of extraordinary sound projection. The design for the bass strings equals the achievements of the NYLON 202 trebles. The construction improved the ratio of wire exterior wound wrapping to the nylon filament core. This results in a clearer, more sustaining tone. The 2001 series unique string design surpasses all other classical guitar sets with their exceptional memory for pitch and consistent sound production.

quote:

The quintessential flamenco set, Flamenco 2001 Medium Tension strings produce a sound that is robust and luminous yet extremely flexible. Sensitive to the touch and responsive to the slightest change in tone or attack, these strings have a tremendous ease of playing that will appeal to most players.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2008 23:05:09

Samarto

I use the medium tension 820's on my Dominguez blanc and the high tension 2001's on the negra I made. I would advise you to try each kind and record the same piece with both sets and see how they sound on your guitar. There is a difference in how they are made other than the color of the trebles, but still it all comes down to how they sound on YOUR guitar and how they feel to YOU. I have tried many brands of strings and always return to the La Bellas.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2008 21:34:36

TANúñez

There is also a difference between the 820 black trebs and 820 red trebs. IMO. I almost exclusively use the black trebles. However, on two guitars I made, the red ones sound better on them. On any other guitars I've put the red trebs. on, I hated.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2008 22:11:39

Ricardo

Both have black trebles but the 820's have more brightness and balance IMO. On some guitars, the 820's have nice colorful overtones as well...in my experience it depends on the guitar. I would say in general, the 820's are going to be better sounding. As for as the 2001's go, the hard tension pack sure sounds better, but not as good as 820. To me the 820 trebs are thinner and take a little getting used to if you like thicker strings, but I prefer the tone.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2008 3:27:52

ChiyoDad

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'll try out the 820B's on my Yamaha CG171SF when the Hannabach Flamenco strings start to lose tone. Deyo also suggested them to me on delcamp.net.

I'm already accustomed to Savarez carbons on my classical guitar so thinner trebles wouldn't bother me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2008 3:52:03

Samarto

Thanks Tom and Ricardo for the 820 black and red treble difference info. Never tried the 820 blacks as I assumed they were the same as the reds. Are they the same gauge as the reds? I do prefer the smaller gauge.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2008 15:09:41

flyeogh

I like the 820 black but have noted they have been out of stock from my favourite supplier for over six months. Another supplier only offered 820 red at almost twice the price. Are the 820s being phased out I wonder??

Undecided on the 2001 but the price was still good (£5.20 incl. del).

I thought about buying loads of the 820 blacks from the USA (to UK) but a classical guitarist I know who did this got stung for VAT (17.5%); and I also thought might they not deteriorate after a year or so (I live in a very humid north of spain). Anyone any thoughts?

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2008 16:58:28

ChiyoDad

Well, 820B's seem to be nicely stocked at StringsByMail.com. I doubt that they're being phased out.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2008 19:01:48

Samarto

Nigel, I don't think nylon strings stored in original packages in your home will ever go bad. I found 2 sets of 820 red last fall I bought in 1976. They sounded just as good as the new sets. As mentioned by Chiyodad, Strings by mail has both kinds. I just ordered a dozen sets of the 820 B's and the order was accepted ok.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2008 20:04:50

flyeogh

Thanks guys, I just ordered some. Even if I get stuffed VAT it is still a good price. Better than I paid before.

So Samarto the strings are only good for about 32 years then I guess they might get sad. I'll try and use them before 2040 in that case

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2008 23:05:37

TANúñez

RE: Is there a difference between La... (in reply to Samarto

quote:

Thanks Tom and Ricardo for the 820 black and red treble difference info. Never tried the 820 blacks as I assumed they were the same as the reds. Are they the same gauge as the reds? I do prefer the smaller gauge.

Both are medium tension but to me, the red's seem a bit stiffer.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2008 11:44:53

Stephen Rees

RE: Is there a difference between La... (in reply to flyeogh

quote:

ORIGINAL: flyeogh

I like the 820 black but have noted they have been out of stock from my favourite supplier for over six months.

820B's back in stock in the UK at £4.40 from Adam at http://www.stringbusters.com/

atb
Steve

Stephen Rees - UK
www.reesguitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 8:30:33

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Both are medium tension but to me, the red's seem a bit stiffer.

To me there´s no difference exept the color.

Also, they seem tyo have more volume than Daddario j45 and luthier20 trebles

On some/many guitars the LaBella 820 work very well with higher tension basses like Luthier 30 or 35 or even Daddario.

The 820 basses, I dont like. They are a bit dead IMHO

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 10:16:19

AntonioM

I like the 820 better than the 2001. In my opinion, and on my guitars, the 820 bases had a more metalic ring to the sound and were slightly stiffer. It made for a more earthy flamenco sound. After all, that is what they were designed for.

I have used the 820 sets on all my new guitars to compare their sound with my favorite strings, the D'Addario EJ45C normal tension strings (composite bases). These have sounded the best and the loudest on all my guitars. They last 3 times longer as well. Luthier Jose Oribe uses the EJ45C strings on his new guitars.

For 35 years, I used the Savarez red card high tension strings. I loved the sound of the bases, but the sound did not last long. I had to change the bases each week since I played 6 shows a night and really gave them a workout in those days. However, when discovered the EJ45C, those became my strings. I sometimes use a wound 3rd Savarez G string if the guitar sounds tubby with the regular nylon 3rd.

I recently aquired a new guitar, and I plan the try the 820 bases on it. Right now, it has the EJ45C strings which sound great. However, I always like to try other strings to be sure I have the ones that sound the best on the guitar I am presently using. The EJ45C always is my final choice.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 14:17:02

sig

RE: Is there a difference between La... (in reply to AntonioM

I have just restrung my 1F Burguet with LaBella M.T. 2001 basses and used to use D'addario EJ45's exclusively. I tried a couple of sets of Hannabach M.T. Flamenco's with the Gold Trebs and I like the sound but the basses didn't last (on the last set, the windings actually fell apart on the A, & D strings after approx 1 month) so I left the Hannabach M.T. treb's on and replaced the basses with the 2001's. I really like the M.T. 2001's however it seems they are a bit softer than the Hannabach M.T.'s. I figured I would try the 2001's and then the next order will be the 820's for comparision purposes. I think i'm going to stick to the Hannabach trebs because I like the bright tone... I'm like you, I want to try other strings inorder to get the best combination of sound and feel.
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2008 16:35:43
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote