Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Is this guitar case right for my guitar?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Luisd

Is this guitar case right for my guitar? 

Hello musicians of Foro Flamenco!

I recently made a very happy purchase of a Manuel Rodriguez Model E at Guitar Center, however I just scraped by with enough money so I went back last week to buy a case for it seperately. I now wish I had taken my guitar because the case, a Road Runner black for classical guitar, does not seem like a perfect fit, though I talked to a guy there who said it was ok. Here's the problems and I included pictures. They are listed by how important I think they are.

1. The case is hard to close on the guitar because the MR sticks out a lot. Please look at "Pict01" (attached at the bottom of this post); the guitar sits very high in the case. In "Pic02" are the measurement for how high it sits:

http://i26.tinypic.com/4jbbzq.jpg

In pic03 I measured how high the neck, from middle of the neck, sits of the case:
http://i31.tinypic.com/1039b42.jpg

And then I measured the top of the case:
http://i25.tinypic.com/nex4px.jpg
But I took a bad picture that doesn't include the widest part of the guitar so here is the measurement: 1 in and 1/4 (as much as the guitar sits.)

When I made the measurements I put the measuring tape down into the plush lining.

So, I think this may be a problem because the case seems to push down very hard on the guitar and I'm worried, especially for the neck. I don't want anny damage to the frets by the case pushing down on the strings.

The second problem that baffles me is how the guitar does not sit flush in the case. I discovered that Road Runner makes roundback cases, so I measured to make sure this was not one by mistake, and it is not. So the guitar moves up and down quite a lot when I push down near the neck or on the other side( pushing down when it is laying down like in all the pictures).

The third that is least important I think, is that the guitar also moves up and down about a fingerslength and half a fingers side to side. I was told foam is a good idea to place in the case.

Do you think these are real problems? appreciate all feedback because I want to ensure that this guitar is kept in the best condition possible for future.
Edit/Delete Message

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2008 4:13:53

Jim Opfer

RE: Is this guitar case right for my... (in reply to Luisd

Hi Luisd,

I don't know this type of case but it seems clear that your guitar does not fit it properly. Best to take them both back and show the shop the problems.
I feel sure they will replace the case for you given you bought it on their advice that it would be fine.
Good luck.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2008 6:35:44

Ricardo

The thing that scares me more than the guitar moving, are the metal edges of the case. Sure the felt sticks up a little over the edge, but if you touch your guitar to the metal at all, it will scratch it.

The case should be fine to store the guitar, but if you plan to travel a lot with the guitar, then you might want to try out some other cases.

I had a case that I was in love with, and keep my Sanchis in it, and travel a lot. I never bothered to check it out, but later I realized the neck was not supporting the guitar. The headstock tilts back much steeper than anyother guitar I have owned. Actually the guitar was in the case supported by the head stock, and the body, that was it. So movement during travel eventually caused the head stock to separate from the neck, and I have no idea how long it was like that!

After having the guitar fixed, I still love that case, so now I support the neck where it joins the body.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2008 6:48:15

HemeolaMan

i would check out a humicase metro

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2008 12:31:26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages