Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Advice for Buying Concert Flamenco Guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

yousef

Advice for Buying Concert Flamenco G... 

Hello All

I am planing to go to madrid to buy a flamenco concert guitar and will try to visit Conde, Contreras and manzanero workshops. I have the following questions

1-What the opinion of the forum on the different makers?
2- there is big varition in price for the supposodly the same instrument
this was mentioned in a previous forum "are conde's over priced" why is this? where can I find the cheapest price for the same instrument?
3- Regardless of the price I read that condes are very good instrument though there is a possibility that they outsource to different luthiers (again mentioned in the same forum) do we know which luthier make guitar of similair quality and sound as conde's without the expensive price tag? and are they in Madrid?

please give me advice and opinion on good luthiers in madrid and on how to purchase a quality instrument

Many Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2008 0:09:34

Padre

RE: Advice for Buying Concert Flamen... (in reply to yousef

I currently own 3 Condes (A25R Brazilian, A26, and a vintage 1962 media luna blanca 1A). I also own a vintage Arcangel and Manzanero blanca and have owned DeVoe, Elliasson, Diaz, Carmona and several other quality flamenco guitars and have auditioned many others like Greene, etc..

Your selection should be about the sound and playability - it is a personal choice. For me all roads have led back to the Conde sound. I just purchased the A26 last week . True, prices have gone way up on Condes but still the A26 for $6,900 is as good as any flamenco at that price and frankly, the playability is fantastic (great neck design). They are NOT factory made, they are luthier made by one of the Conde brothers (with possible assistance). The Conde sound is different: sharp, clear, cutting, you can count on strong trebles which is an issue for many flamencos. It is not per se warm and sweet. So it comes down to what you want in a flamenco. Manzanero is a great all around player but you are unlikely to get one on a visit (long lead to to order).

The Granada made guitars are a great choice for a warmer more complex sounding flamenco. If you can, go to Granada and play every flamenco in the shops of Plazuelo, Bellido (both), Diaz (father and son), and others , then make a choice if you find one at the right price.

Another popular choice right now is Hijos Sanchez Lopez though I have never owned one. There will be lots of opinions on this subject. Good luck and have fun.

Larry
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2008 6:29:55

Martin

Concert level instrumetns are generally built to order, be prepared on a wait of a few months upwards dependant on makers waiting list.

HAve a look at zavalettas website. He is a dealer, but there is also plenty of background information on the different luthiers in Spain. You only have a short time on holiday so get the research in first.

I have a Ricardo Sanchis Carpio (Valencia ) which is quite good and wasn't too expensive. Then I had a guitar made by Pedro Maldonado( Malaga) and this gets played in preference to anything else.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2008 7:42:49

Bogdan1980

Anders Eliasson - well made, great sound, don't have to mortgage a house...yet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2008 7:49:19

Ricardo

I concur with mr Padre. Lots of bad mouthing of Condes, but they have always served me too, and after other intruments, back I return. But the problem of prices is real.

IMO, your best bet is to try out some guitars but save your Euros to be sure. You can find a good Conde Used in the USA (our dollar is sucking compared to Euro) and save a lot of $. IMO your best bet is to save for a used one, older as possible, with an option to try out. I know that is not always possible.

If in Madrid, I have played some guitars comparable to A26(felipe V address) at the Atocha address, not Gravina 7, (understand there are 3 conde shops), with prices generally a little more than half the price of Felipe V. I say comparable, but they don't necessarily BEAT an A26. Wish I could have spent a lot of time in that department, but I suggest you atleast check out the Atocha shop and ask to try the best instrument they have (4k E range?). Just two years ago I played one that they wanted 3.5KE for that was not bad at all. But not sure of the market now.

I was lucky that I purchesed my favorite Conde's in Spain when they had Pesetas and US Dollar was very strong. That is why I suggest looking for used US priced instruments.

Manzanero is very good guitar with the old world feel and sound like the old Sobrinos more than modern Conde. BUT like Padre mentioned about the neck and feel of the conde, Manzanero is kind of skinny for my taste, not so comfy for me. Good sound though. Contreras, in my experience, are often very loud guitars. So if you want volume go for it. For me personally, that is not something that impresses or convinces me of superior sound.

Anyway good luck. Also, I second Padre's recommendation of H. Sanchis Lopez, obviously lower end instruments, but great for their price range.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2008 7:55:43

duende

RE: Advice for Buying Concert Flamen... (in reply to Bogdan1980

quote:

Anders Eliasson - well made, great sound, don't have to mortgage a house...yet

i second that

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2008 8:02:57

Hola

If you are going to Madrid. do not fail to visit Jose Romero, Calle Espoz y Mina.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2008 9:02:27

Escribano

RE: Advice for Buying Concert Flamen... (in reply to duende

quote:

Anders Eliasson - well made, great sound, don't have to mortgage a house...yet

Me too. A name to watch.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2008 9:02:27

yousef

RE: Advice for Buying Concert Flamen... (in reply to Escribano

Thanks everyone for all their replies...I have just got back from madrid and have purchased a A25 (2008) model from Senor Conde who was a very nice chap and quite helpful... Sure I am now practically broke but I figure the investment will pay off! I seriously recommend for anyone who can to purchase their guitars from spain as you get the added benfits of the tapas and nightlife :-)

I also found this website useful

http://spainforvisitors.com/module-pagesetter-viewpub-tid-46-pid-84-meid-4054.htm

Yousef
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2008 3:55:42
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote