Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Alternative fingerboard wood   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

Alternative fingerboard wood 

Have any of you luthiers used woods other than African ebony for your fingerboards and if so, did you notice any tonal differences?

It seems the high quality African ebony is dwindling and I'm considering using an alternative such as Macassar ebony or Madagascar rosewood.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2008 8:45:52

jshelton5040

RE: Alternative fingerboard wood (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

ORIGINAL: It seems the high quality African ebony is dwindling and I'm considered using an alternative such as Macassar ebony or Madagascar rosewood.

My understanding is that there are about 16 or more varieties of ebony.

I had an opportunity to get Macassar ebony from the Philippines through family connections so I bought quite a lot of it (they call it Kamagong and I have no idea if that's the right spelling). Even after aging it for 20 years it was still moving. I ended up using it in furniture. I was offered an entire tree for free but the shipping costs would have been stupendous and at the time I was a poor starving flamenco guitarist and beginner luthier so I couldn't swing it.

Many steel string makers claim that rosewood fingerboards are superior to ebony because the rosewood is more resonant. I'll reserve judgement on that.

I suggest you stock up on African ebony will it's still available. I'm constantly amazed at how inexpensive some of these scarce hardwoods are. I once bought a couple of logs of Madagascar ebony. The vendor who was selling it had logs stacked up in piles probably 8 X 8 feet and 6-7 feet high. I wish I'd bought more as it is the best ebony I've ever used. Really nasty to resaw though.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2008 9:58:57

TANúñez

RE: Alternative fingerboard wood (in reply to jshelton5040

Hi John,

Would you happen to know if these other varieties are more stable in climate changes? I'm so tired of my fret ends poking out every winter. What is a good humidity percentage for guitars to be kept at? I need to get one of the Ameritage case that you use. Those are awesome cases.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2008 11:38:41

Anders Eliasson

Hi Tom

I only build with African ebony because thats what my clients want, but I´m not to sure its the best. I could imagine that rosewoods would be better because they are lighter and have less damping.

One thing to consider is pores. I´m sure you know from the electrical world that some people prefer ebony or lacquered maple because they are smoother and that some prefer rosewoods because they sweat a lot and rosewood doesnt get that soapy on stage because the pores absorb the sweat. I have dry hands, so I always prefered lacquered maple.

You could consider. PauFerro. Its relatively stable, very beautifull and has no pores.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2008 20:31:46

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: TANúñez

Hi John,

Would you happen to know if these other varieties are more stable in climate changes? I'm so tired of my fret ends poking out every winter. What is a good humidity percentage for guitars to be kept at? I need to get one of the Ameritage case that you use. Those are awesome cases.

Can't answer that Tom. I have experience with the African varieties (Gabon, Cameroon, Madagascar, etc.) and Macassar that I already related.

Ebony takes a long time to cure. If you can, try to wait at least 3-4 years before using an ebony fingerboard. If you can find quartered stock it shrinks less across the grain which would help with your fret ends. That's the advantage of buying logs and sawing your own boards. You can cut them radially so every one is quartered.

Re: Ameritage
We had trouble with handles falling apart for awhile but they seem to have fixed that problem. They are indeed a beautiful case although on the heavy side.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2008 3:18:07

TANúñez

RE: Alternative fingerboard wood (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

One thing to consider is pores. I´m sure you know from the electrical world that some people prefer ebony or lacquered maple because they are smoother and that some prefer rosewoods because they sweat a lot and rosewood doesnt get that soapy on stage because the pores absorb the sweat. I have dry hands, so I always prefered lacquered maple.

Your right about that. I prefer maple which is why I stick to Fender strats with maple fingerboards. Although I would love to one day own a Gibson. I'm sure I could get used to the rosewood fingerboard.

I see Pau Ferro being used more and more and may try it one day.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2008 5:51:01
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll