Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

playing catch up   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

playing catch up 

For a way to jump start your picado technique, make one hand play catch up to the other. For example, put on the metronome and make your RH alternate at the tempo. Now play a scale while keeping the RH constant. Make the LH keep up with the steady pace of the RH.

Now you could probably do the same with your left hand, but I have't worked on that yet. Try it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2004 22:11:48

Billyboy

RE: playing catch up (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Tito Herradio's one is a good picado exercise,0 1 2 3 4 frets played with 1 2 3 4 left hand fingers, move up a fret and a string repeat the patern all way up the neck, then reverse sequence starting on 4 3 2 1 and open, by always playing the open string even high up you will always get those awkward cross string i, m, movements to the next string, and so improves courdination, of right left hand
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 0:45:29

Miguel de Maria

could you describe that in more detail, where's the string crossing come in?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 4:43:39

Billyboy

Hard to explain in words, but if you imagine you were playing a scale, from bass ot treble, but instead you just go one fret at a time, on each string i.e. E, F,F sharp,G, A flat etc, then back from treble to bass, then move your hand to the second position, and repeat, and keep changing the sequence, its the best picado exercise there is, as it builds seperation in the left hand, especially between the pinky and the third finger of left hand., picado speed relies on right / left hand coordination, I had forgoten the exercise until this thread reminded me, I'm going to start doing it to warm, as picado has always been a weaknes.
Cheers
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 6:48:58

Billyboy

RE: playing catch up (in reply to Billyboy

forgot to mention you play an open string first on each string, that makes sure there is an odd (5) notes played on each string, so as to make every other string crossing uses that awkward i, or m string crossing, if ya follow my drift, another good one is to use same idea but keep one finger or say first finger left hand on the sixth string, while playing the same one fret at a time scale, interchanging the first finger for the second etc, this is a real killer stretching the ligaments of the lefthand fingers
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 13:05:52

Miguel de Maria

Damn, my head is trying to explode visualize these things. I guess I had too much Napa last night :).
Okay, so the first exercise, starting from the bass string, would be:

6) e f f# g g# 5) a a# b c c# 4)....3,2,1,2,3,4,5, 6) e f# g g# a 5) a b c c# d f 4...etc.?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 15:02:54

Ron.M

quote:

I guess I had too much Napa last night :).

Napa?
Qué es Napa?
Sounds like something for killing moths.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 15:10:47

Billyboy

RE: playing catch up (in reply to Ron.M

are we talking Napa Valley, Its very simple, you play a scale one fret up at a time, left hand fingers 1 2 3 4, next string 1 2 3 4, what is important is you play each string open for the first note, so there will be 5 notes per string, after you have done that for a while reverse fingering so it goes 4 3 2 1, also dont forget to move up a fret each cycle so you end up with pinky on the 12th fret, loads of variations. Tito could race up the neck in a flash. The other exercise was to do the same but with a finger anchored on one string while the other fingers move from bass to treble,and back starting with first finger on F sixth string, , keeping it freted while the other fingers move up the scale, I must admit I have made sound complicated, too much Boddingtons last night, If its unclear I could post a tabledit transcript.
Cheers
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 15:30:47
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll