Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Frustrated off topic post, sorry!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jim Opfer

Frustrated off topic post, sorry! 

I'm sorry to raise this but I feel I have to.

My wife and I heard about the Madrid bombing over breakfast on the 11th. All the talk was about who did it? and was it timed to disrupt the Spanish Elections that weekend, I so, why not on election day?
I said to Moira, that there had to be some significance to the date, 'why today and not tomorrow or yesterday?'

When I got back that evening (Wednesday) Moira had worked out that Madrid bombing was exactly 911 days after NY 911 (that includes 2004 leep year).

On Thursday there was no reference to this on the news.

On Friday, still no reference, so I phoned the BBC, Lesley Riddoch show which broadcasts here every mid week lunch time and is a very topical debate forum, broadcast live on air. I told the interviewer what our observation was but it didn't get broadcast on air. Instaid, the show kept on with the debate about, who did the bombing?

I later emailed BBC Scotland, but got no reply.

I read Time magazine, but no mention within their feature article about 911 days.
I emailed National BBC but by this time (after the Spanish elections) the view had come round to the idea that it was that an Islamic fundamentalist bombing and the Spanish Government had been voted out.

Now the point is this, 911 being US emergency call number, is a number these people are playing with, so what's next?

My conclusion is that the next attack will be in 911 days after Madrid. Thats 17th /18th April.

I guess all the authorities know this, after all, there's lots of highly paid folk employed to work these things out, but nobody's saying.

Thereafter, 911 minutes etc.

I hope we're wrong.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2004 22:49:32

Jon Boyes

RE: Frustrated off topic post, sorry! (in reply to Jim Opfer

Jim, You may be intetested to know that after the bombing of the twin towers, Fortean Times published a long list of seemingly related factors that had the numbers 9-11. You've mentioned one - the US emergency number - but there were many, many more.

Personally, I don't believe there's any siginficance in it. Mathematicians have great fun with this sort of stuff and its amazing what patterns you can find if you look hard enough. (The Horizon programme on the Bible Code was fascinating).

I understand your frustration at the fact that evertyoe leapt on ETA, though.

Of course, you could be absolutley right. One way to find out - count out the days/minutes whatever for the Bali boombing and the others that have happend in between. If there is no 9-11 correlation, there is no pattern.

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2004 9:27:49

Escribano

quote:

and was it timed to disrupt the Spanish Elections that weekend, I so, why not on election day?

My two cents is that it was timed to influence the outcome of the election, not disrupt it.

Many people at work also jumped on the numbers as significant - I wrote a quick program to confirm, so there would be no arguments.

Madrid was 911 days, 16 hours and some minutes after the first attack on Sept. 11 2001.

quote:

My conclusion is that the next attack will be in 911 days after Madrid.

That would make it 8th September 2006.

As for jumping on ETA. One can appreciate the initial reaction, in the confusion, when one looks at recent events.

Spain police 'foil Eta bomb plot'
Two suspected members of Basque separatist group Eta have been arrested as they headed to Madrid in a truck laden with explosives.
Wednesday, 24 December, 2003, 14:30 GMT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3520071.stm

Spanish police 'foil train bomb'Spanish authorities say they have foiled a Basque separatist plot to blow up a train at a Madrid rail station.
Sunday, 29 February, 2004, 14:27 GMT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3520071.stm

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2004 9:57:03

Jim Opfer

RE: Frustrated off topic post, sorry! (in reply to Escribano

Simon,
My typo error, I meant to say 'hours' not days.
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2004 17:33:18

Billyboy

My two cents worth, is that 911 probably has no relation. The bomb was a very calculated way before elections to get Spain to'Capitulate' and remove their troops from Iraq, and it worked. What ever you way say about the evil bombers, they were 100% successful. I think the most worrying time for UK citizens especially people living in London, will be the run up to the next general elections, although the persona of British people is totally different from that of Mediterranean countries, and doubt a huge massacre would be as successful as it was in Spain.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2004 20:20:14

Kate

quote:

the Spanish Government had been voted out.

Actually the Spanish Government was voted in.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2004 10:17:59

Kate

RE: Frustrated off topic post, sorry! (in reply to Billyboy

quote:

The bomb was a very calculated way before elections to get Spain to'Capitulate' and remove their troops from Iraq, and it worked.

Usually when their is a war/attack the people vote for the most conservative party or keep the reigning party in power. What happened in Spain with reagrds the attack is that the PP LIED to the people. For this the people voted for the PSOE and I dont know how the terrorists could have calculated that.

The PSOE also stood a very good chance of getting in considering 90% of the Spanish people had supported the UN and were against a war in Iraq. It is not a case of the Spanish people being bombed into submission.

And Spain has not removed their troops from Iraq. Put simply, Zapatero has said he will pull them out unless the US starts working with the UN.

What amzes me is that they say some of the bombers were under surveillance after 9/11. Cant have been very good if they managed to bomb Madrid.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2004 10:30:28

Billyboy

RE: Frustrated off topic post, sorry! (in reply to Kate

I dont follow foreign elections too much, but were the party that got in riding high in the polls before the bomb. No matter how close you watch terroists some will alway get through, also the large population of Arabs, and the close proximaty to Morroco would have made it difficult, i was surprised that Spain sent troops in the first place, and Blair was just being a poodle to that most dangerous man on earth BUSH.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2004 21:10:32

Escribano

RE: Frustrated off topic post, sorry! (in reply to Kate

quote:

The PSOE also stood a very good chance of getting in considering 90% of the Spanish people had supported the UN and were against a war in Iraq

Are you sure about 90% Kate, what is your source? 60% of the UK supported the war when it started, 48% still do.

When you say the Popular Party lied to the Spanish people, do you mean about WMD and Iraq or ETA and Madrid?

No offence, just interested.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2004 21:24:13

Kate

90% is bandied around by everyone, press, politicians, people on the street. You read it everywhere. Here there was practically no support for the attack on Iraq, not over any great love for Sadaam but out of respect for the UN who did not support it.

As for the Madrid bombing, Aznar announced that the bombers were from ETA, apparantly in the hope that they would gain support, which is what normally happens when ETA get active, ie everyone becomes very conservative. However at the time of this announcement it was already known it was Al Queda. This came out pretty quickly, the Spanish press clocked it instantly somehow and there was an enormous furore about government lies. As for WMD Aznar quite happily admitted that a mistake had been made. I rather respected him for that, as Blair and Bush dont seem to want to back down at all and admit they were wrong.

I have spoken to many people in the UK who take an active interest in Spanish politics and they tell me the Givrenment lies have hardly been mentioned in the UK press. Without a doubt this affected the vote more than the anti war stance of the majority. I wonder why the UK press do not want to mention it.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 13:19:26

I would have to say that Kate lives here and knows how the Spanish feel. 90% may be an exaggeration, but there had been massive popular demonstrations against the war and against Aznar´s involvement against the wishes of the pueblo, all over Spain.

Before the bombing it was considered that PSOE (the left) would gain a lot of seats but might not topple the PP goverment.

However immediately after the bombing the PP blamed ETA. They have always been firm against ETA and this circumstance would have helped them. However many other sources pointed at Al-Qaida and consequently many Spanish felt that the Government was cynically using the disaster to garner votes. This couple of days was critical in the election. It explains the unprecedentedly huge turnout and a big turnout here always favours the left.

I was with friends from PSOE as results came in and even they were surprised by the extent of PSOE gains.

This was a vote against the war and the warmongering policies of Bush.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 13:55:30

Miguel de Maria

RE: Frustrated off topic post, sorry! (in reply to Guest

Speaking of elections, we have one coming up in November... would anyone be surprised if Osama were suddenly "captured" right beforehand?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2004 17:31:46

Jim Opfer

RE: Frustrated off topic post, sorry! (in reply to Billyboy

911 hours, time out Sunday morning (tomorrow).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2004 9:47:23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post