Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Tonight has been the best night of my life !   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

Tonight has been the best night of m... 

Ballet National de Espana is in town atm doing a show which i will see on Friday.
My girlfriend did the dance workshop with them today and some of the singers were asking where theres a flamenco bar on Saturday nights close to theyr Hotel, without thinking some pple said the place where I play.
I wasent there so i didnt think too much of it when she said that they might be coming and sure enough just before we about to go onstage look out the door and there they are !

I fricked out !!!!! first dance i was scared like hell i never been so nervous in my life.
SO after the first number where i was so so nervous i flufed a couple on notes, i was able to relax a litlle bit.
Second halv was better because i flufed a couple of notes in the first halv in my head i was thinking of just playing it safe, because i had some falsetas that i do that are very risky. Sometimes you do that like if you are really nervous and make a mistake than it plays on your confidence so you play it safe and just do chords. But for some reason i did it anyway and it worked out ok, I am glad i took a risk, I have relearned a lesson i have always known " Never walk away after a mistake , walk away on a high note if you have to".
Antonio Canales said something so nice in one of his interviews " - Never be afraid of failure cause it makes succes taste so much better" makes so much sense.

Anyway the exciting bitt that i am talking about happened after the show , we were introduced to the guitarists , I got someone to translate to them : "That i have never been so nervous in my hole life cause they were there my fingers were shaking", I mean this guys are IT. ( I have looked everywhere on the net to try and find out that guitarists name he is the second guitarist in the Torrero Dvd David, or Davida or something along those lines ) "This guy was the nicest most humble guy in the world, he looked at me smiled and said "IT dosent matter if is in your heart thats all that matter"

So we got to talking and he asked me what guitar i played , I said Matsuoka, he looked around like he didnt understand me so i repeated he had the look on his face like hes never heard of it so i went and took the guitar out to show to him to hand it to him, he looks at it and just starts playing the most incrediblle buleria with the most amazing Picado , rasqueado , alzapua you name it it was there .
I could not shut my mouth, i mean i have seen this before but never this close, his style was very similar to Jose Jimenez infact untill tonight i was convinced that he was his brother.
So than he starts passing the guitar around the table and a big crowd forms all around the table and everyone is doing palmas, so he passes it to the other guitarist Enrique ( i will get the proper names before the end of the week ) this guy plays again out of this world, than the 3rd guitarist than he passes it to me, i am like OH no no , he goes please cmon, so i had a turn i did a Paco Serrano falseta than , Warner the other guitarist in our group plays one , they were so encouraging and nice about all this i could not belive what was going on.
After they asked me if the falseta was Habicuela , I said no Paco Serrano, I must have pronunced Serrano wrong because they went "OH Paco de Lucia" and i did not want to correct them a second time not that it mattered I was having the time of my life.

After that this guitarist told me that the bridge of my guitar is way way too low and that i would get more volume if i raise it and I will first thing monday morning :)

When they left they told a lady that spoke Spanish that he liked us and that me and Warner can go to theyr Hotel whenever we want ask for him at the reception and jam or hangout, and i was like WOW i could belive it expecially since i cant speak much Spanish and he cant speak much English.

The reason this is so exciting for me is because down here is not like where you guys are, here we get Paco Pena come every 5 & 6 years and for a show like Carmen (with Elmestela) and this Ballet national de Espana every 9 years thats it. SO when someone comes here is a big big think.

Anyway this was my night and i just had to tell someone about it , thanks for listening.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2004 15:15:23

TANúñez

RE: Tonight has been the best night ... (in reply to Florian

Hey Florian what a great story. It's great how flamenco brings strangers together. I have a question about the below quote.

quote:

After that this guitarist told me that the bridge of my guitar is way way too low and that i would get more volume if i raise it and I will first thing monday morning :)

Did he actually say bridge or did he mean the saddle? I know you can lower or raise the saddle but once the bridge is on, it's on!

I'm sure a luthier can remove the bridge and put a higher one but that would cost some cash!

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2004 15:39:50

Florian

Your right the Bone thing :) I sure know my guitar parts :)

I just found they homepage :http://balletnacional.mcu.es/ingles/programmes_group.htm

Some of the past guitarists : Jose luis Monton, Jose Jimenez ( el Viejin), Ramon Jimenez

the 3 guitarists that came tonight where : Emilio de Diego, Enrique Bremundez, Jonathan Bermundez.

Every single one of this guys could put out a greate cd, infact i will be waiting.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2004 15:56:17

Ron.M

Wow! That's a great piece of luck Florian!
I would definitely take the guys up on their offer to hang out, since during the day they will probably be hanging around the Hotel practising anyway.
This is definitely a chance of a lifetime Florian, I'd jump at it even if you have to take time off work.
Work will always be there, but free lessons from ace Flamenco guitarists won't!
Don't worry about the Spanish, you'll be able to communicate OK.

Let us know how you get on!

cheers (you lucky dog!)

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2004 17:20:16

gerundino63

RE: Tonight has been the best night ... (in reply to Ron.M

So, Florian, if in am correct, you are the only one that knows how he4aven looks like !

I agree what Ron said, take some drinks and sandwiches, and go over there, as long as you can!

greetings, Peter.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2004 23:01:53

Jon Boyes

Sounds like a blast, go for it!

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2004 7:56:04

Florian

RE: Tonight has been the best night ... (in reply to Jon Boyes

I noramlly wouldnt do this cause i am very shy when it comes to this kind of things, but i decided to take your advice , i have taken the rest of the week off from work, gonna go and hang out with them.

I am still not eaxctly sure how i am just gonna go to the Hotel and say "hi i am here to hang out with the guitarists" but il figure that out tomarow :)

I am so pissed off at myself for not learning a litlle bit of Spanish, all i know is swear words and flamenco terms thats it.

I will let you guys know what happened.

Hehe i am so excited this guys all play flamenco de Madrid style which is my favourite, I am gonna ask them to recomend to me some good cd's.

Manolo Sanlucar has also composed a soundtrack for one of the Ballet National shows ( one of the dancers was telling me) but it is exclusive to them, to use in performances, it is not for sale. they use that in the second part of the show for Spanish Classical choreography.

Oh the main guitarist is El Viejin's cousin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2004 1:49:16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote