Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
[Poll]

What do you do with your nails?

I use false nails (fitted professionally or a kit)
  7% (3)
I apply glue to them
  7% (3)
I use a nail hardener product or nail varnish
  25% (10)
I don't use any product
  37% (15)
I don't use a hardener, but I use a moisturiser/nail care product
  7% (3)
I use a nail building/repair kit eg silk wraps & adhesive
  15% (6)

Total Votes : 40

(last vote on : Dec. 16 2022 20:55:25) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] (in reply to Patrick

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2004 18:56:07

Billyboy

RE: What do you do with your nails? (in reply to Guest

Anyone out there has succes with those cheap arcylic kits from supermarkets, $100 for a nail kit is way out of my price range
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2004 19:24:08

Merle

RE: What do you do with your nails? (in reply to Billyboy

This topic is NUTS!

Superglue, silk, your left hand's nail to glue on, if your right hand nail breaks off ...what else, OH ... lets go buy some silly kit (sorry Patrick) ;>

One more time! If you can find a nail salon go get acrylic nails, it's easy, and cheaper. Try 1 or 2 different places, and explain why your there!

"For my right hand, mam! I'm a famous guitar player"!

When you find her/(or him...to be politically correct) ... go 2 or 3 months later and have her/(or he, again) ') and do that again! Why all the fuss and mess?? $10.00 every 2 or 3 months, and you get to have the acrylics done by a pro, plus (NO CHILDREN ALLOWED) ...

you get to look around inside a beauty shop...at all the beautiful people! ;>)

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2004 23:13:29

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 3:05:13

[Deleted] (in reply to Merle

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 3:07:52

Billyboy

I agree with Andy on this one, all the pro guitarists I know use silk and glue. I once went to a nail salon, and the nail was like concreate, and when it chipped, I could not repair it, and had to wait till the nail grew out, after which my nail was paper thin.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 11:09:56

Conrad

dear dave...

Can you tell me about this silk and glue method? Is this just something like the Savarez nail kit? I have tried that and the layers came off after a few days. It was very weak for me. Can you help me out? Perhaps I was doing it wrong. Can you get silk for nails at drugstores?

-conrad
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 14:37:53

Patrick

Andy,

Cool!

It really is neat how it self levels isn't it? With the primer that you are using you may have a bit of lifting at the exposed edge (I did). Just float some super glue in it and rebond the gel and the nail. Not a big deal. The No Lift will cure most of that.

The Lume gels seem to stay a bit pliable. In the eight or so months I have used it I have had chipping only a few times. By having the materials at hand you don't have to mess around with going to a salon to get them fixed. I can fire up the UV lamp and fix them in a couple of minutes. For some reason I have one nail that has a small crack in the gel. The stuff is so strong I haven’t even had to mess with it. If it were glue and silk, it would have popped off in minutes.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 16:48:01

Merle

RE: What do you do with your nails? (in reply to Patrick

Blah, snake oil!! So, Pat, how many shares of this Lume product did you buy? ;>)

(just kidding, calm down)!!

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 16:57:34

Patrick

Conrad,

Yes, the glue and silk method is the same as the Savarez kit. The system involves self-adhesive silk with what is called Nail Glue. Don't be misled. Nail Glue is super glue. It might be a higher grade, but it is still super glue.

I used it for a year or so and hated it. Like you said, if you hit a nail, it just pops off. Even if you don't hit a nail, it still comes off. The problem with the stuff is once you start using it, you have to keep using it as it makes the nail so thin the only thing you can do is apply more and more and more. I was lucky if I could go a day or two without having to fix a nail.

That being said, some guitarists love it. Not me, I like to fish and play guitar.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 16:59:25

Patrick

Merle,

You sure have been testy the last couple of days. Did one of your five wives leave you?! LOL

You know I am in the investment business so I have to be very hush, hush about those things. Martha and I are trying to put together a deal to buy the company, but you didn't hear that from me! By the way, Martha said to put a stop lose on your Lume at $60.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 17:09:42

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 17:30:38

Merle

That explains it!! Martha!!

Snake oil, that's all it is...product shelf life, file your nails practically off before you apply it, messy, peeling, heat lamps, widgets, gadgets, this and that!! LOL

Hey, ToddK instructed me to use acrylics, and if it's good enough for him, then damn it, it's good enough for me!!

As far as my 5 wives, I seriously doubt any of them would leave me...you see, I give them all they want, and save the rest for later on!!

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 19:03:21

Billyboy

Went ina nail salon today, and they only did Jel nails, which is the best, Jel or Acrylics
Thanks
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 21:00:43

Billyboy

RE: What do you do with your nails? (in reply to Conrad

conrad, I have had my silk nails on for a week now without coming off, the stuff from drug stores is no good, not fine enough, but the stuff I use is similar to the Savarez kits, just cheaper to buy it all individually, you usually need about three layers, the thing with acrylics is it is for life, no going back once you start on that road, your nail would never be any good after, with the silk you only aply to the end of the nail.keeping the rest in fresh air.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 21:15:13

Merle

Billyboy, that's exactely it! Gel nails...

I think that when people talk about acrylics, they think it's those fake glue on nails. The nails I get are acrylic gel, and my nail tech dips a brush in some kind of liquid, then into some powder, and she kinda paints them on. They are dry in about 4 minutes, and rock hard.

I have never had them split, or lift up, hot or cold weather, like I think AndyB said happened to him.

Nowadays, when I go get them done every 3 months or so, I always have her do my thumb finger nail in different colors! She has done my thumb in gold glitter, silver glitter, a mixture of all kinds of colors, and this time I had my thumb done in black ahd red! It looks cool under stage lights (as if I'm some stage performer), and it causes conversation with the ladys, who always say, "Wow, that's cool"!

Now the thumb thing may not be for everyone, but, I'm just different, and I like to explain to people I meet why my thumb is colored like that. ( I get to brag about flamenco). The other finger nails look exactely like regular nails.

But, again, it's GEL, not fake acrylic nails. I would probably think it's kinda like the Lume stuff that Patrick has been hawking! ;>)

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 21:22:53

Merle

"the thing with acrylics is it is for life, no going back once you start on that road,"

Billyboy, that is not true. The gel is placed onto your nail bed, and as your nail grows, it's the same thinkness as it was to begin with.

If you were to put gel on, and did not like them, then you can soak them in a soluation for a few minutes, and it comes off without taking any nail with it! Or, you can just let your nails grow out until the gel is gone, and your nails is just the way it was before you even tried it.

But for life, I don't think so...

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 21:35:24

Patrick

Hey Merle,

I got a hot deal on some genuine Rolex watches (as he open his coat). They say Rolix on them, but I swear they are the real thing! And at only $50 for you only.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 21:45:26

Conrad

RE: What do you do with your nails? (in reply to Merle

Hey Merle and all,

What about filing? Is this how you keep them a certain length? I mean, what do you do to maintain acrylic/gel nails? They are sounding better every time I read about them. They seem to last so long! But with a little or a lot of maintenance?

By the way, I agree with you about colouring nails for fun. I honestly wouldn't care if one of my to nails was coloured, or if all of them were shiny from the glossy nail polishes. Just a way to attract people and to tell them about flamenco!

conrad
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 21:47:40

Merle

RE: What do you do with your nails? (in reply to Conrad

cnotecon, after the gel is on, you just file your nails just like you would your real nails! I mean, it's no maintenance at all. As your nails grow out, grow out, file them. Probably just like that Lume that Patrick is pawning off! ;>)

About filing, try to file your nails smooth before and AFTER you play, as you probably already know! ;>)

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 21:58:57

Merle

Only $50.00 for me?? Really??

Figures! How much for everyone else?

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 22:00:17

Patrick

Merle,

$25, but you already knew that didn't you?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2004 22:23:00

Billyboy

I think I will take the plunge and go to a nail salon (out of town) and with a Groucho Marks mushtash and glasses on, and get the nail gel put on, after I have watched her do it, and I like it, I might buy the light and kit. I have noticed they tend to sculpt the nail to a point, so will have to remember to tell them to shape it more flat, and rather than cover the whole nail, would it not be better to tell them to just cover the end of the nail, so to leave the rest in a healthy a state as poss ?, It wan't last as long but might be worth it to keep the nail healthy.
Thanks Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2004 11:00:28

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Billyboy
I think I will take the plunge and go to a nail salon (out of town) and with a Groucho Marks mushtash and glasses on, and get the nail gel put on,

Its no use hiding, I am going to tell all your friends about this. Bet there aren't many blokes up north who get their nails done, eh?

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2004 12:43:56

Patrick

Dave,

The product you will get in the salons is different. They don't use the same gels as the Lume and they don't set them with a light. The Lume system is a way to get salon type of nails without having to go to the salon, but it's not the same stuff.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2004 17:34:12

Billyboy

Is the Salon stuff just as good though?
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2004 18:28:09

Merle

quote:

Is the Salon stuff just as good though?[/quote

Billyboy it's better! You get to have a beautiful lady hold your hand for 1/2 hour while she massages your fingers while putting on the gel, then she buffs the gel smooth, and then files the nails close to the way you want them, all the while the two of you are rubbing knees under the table ...

Or,

You can have Patrick come to your house and slop all the Lume stuff all around the house while trying to get it on your nails. Then to top it off, Patrick can put your fingers under some kind of lamp that emmits radiation, which eventually will end up buring the bones in your fingers!! AND TO TOP THAT OFF, YOU GOTTA LOOK AT HIM!

Now then, which would you choose? ;>)

Merle

(the answer is easy, grasshopper, if you just look for it)! ;>)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2004 19:00:30

Billyboy

RE: What do you do with your nails? (in reply to Merle

"You can have Patrick come to your house and slop all the Lume stuff all around the house while trying to get it on your nails. Then to top it off, Patrick can put your fingers under some kind of lamp that emmits radiation, which eventually will end up buring the bones in your fingers!! AND TO TOP THAT OFF, YOU GOTTA LOOK AT HIM!"

Oo er missis
If Patrick will wear a white skirt that they seem to wear, makeup, lovely manicured nails, look into my eyes as he puts on the nails, then send him round LOL
dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2004 21:54:41

Patrick

Dave,

I will if I can wear my frilly red dress and a pushup bra!

Man this thread has really turned ugly. Only on a guitar site would grown men be talking about nails like we do.

I’m gonna go BASS fishing and chew some tobacco tomorrow. I'm gonna cuss a bunch too! Hope I don’t break a nail.

Patricia
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2004 22:14:02

Billyboy

I took the plunge and went to a nail salon, and got the nail gel job on all my right hand nails. Trouble is they are rubbery, and not hard enough, which seems to deaden the sound when doing rasgueados, also arpeggios are deadened, cant seem to get that brittle clean sound you get with real, or super glue and silk nails, maybe they will harden up after time, maybe I should have had the acrylics instead, has anyone else found this? and is there anyway to harden up the gel nails.?
Cheers
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2004 11:35:06
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll