Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Spanish cypress 'side' needed.....   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

Spanish cypress 'side' needed..... 

My plans call for a solid strip of cypress for the back-to-side connection, however, it looks like in "the old days" they probably just trimmed a 'side' for the strip they needed.

Today, however, the sides are pre-cut almost exactly to my body thickness, hence, no extra.

Anyone have an extra side? Something from a set that split/trashed/didn't bend right, etc.??? It would obviously have to be from someone in the US. (shipping cost).

Hate to have to buy a complete set to trim off 2, ½" strips off of a side....

Gracias.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2007 1:37:20

TANúñez

RE: Spanish cypress 'side' needed..... (in reply to Ramón

Ramón, no comprendo. By back to side connection, are you referring to the binding? or maybe the kerfing? What plans are you working from? Plans aren't written in stone. Just because it calls for it doesn't mean you have to do it that way.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2007 2:17:23

Ramón

Hola Tom,

Yea, I know. But like Blackshear said; You can do it to the plans and get a good guitar, or just do it the way you want, and get what you get".

Given what I got on #1, I think I'll just stick with what worked.

I cannot recall what the strip is, but on the side-to-soundboards, I used the little tentallones (sp?). The side-to-back calls for a solid cypress strip, about 1/2" high x 1/8" inch thick.

So I'm looking for a lonely cypress side I can cut into strips...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2007 4:07:22

TANúñez

quote:

Yea, I know. But like Blackshear said; You can do it to the plans and get a good guitar, or just do it the way you want, and get what you get".

Well it is also very possible to do it to the plans and get a bad guitar and do it the way you want and get a good guitar. As you already know, just following the plans won't necessarily give you a good guitar.

Your talking about the lining then. If I were you, I would stick to cedar for the back linings. A cypress strip of that thickness won't give you much of a gluing surface. I'm not saying it can't be done. Obviously it can but why go through the trouble of finding extra scrap cypress or possibly purchasing a side and ruining it just to cut out the strips when there is already pleny of cedar lining readily available? I don't think you'll even notice any tonal differences between the two.

Most guitars use cedar or mahogany anyway. Even the 83' Reyes I copied had cedar lining.

It's up to you though. This is just my 2 Euro's for whatever it's worth.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2007 14:28:51

pablo requena

Hi Ramon

If you want I can cut for you a few strips of cypress and find out how much it will cost to send it to you in the US. I would need to now to wich State. Hopefully it will be cheaper than buying a complete set of sides.
Let me know

Pablo Requena
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2007 20:04:38
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll