Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

'Tuning' a top....   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

'Tuning' a top.... 

So I was reading the Huipe' (sad) posts, and I have been thinking about the same thing. Tuning the top...

Could I take my electronic tuner, and when the top is 'finished', clip on the remote cord (attaches to the head of my guitar), and tap my top...?

Would this not give me what the top is tuned to??

Curious munds want to know....!!!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2007 17:31:28

Per Hallgren

RE: 'Tuning' a top.... (in reply to Ramón

To answer what you ask: yes, and no.

The top vibrates in many different modes, resonances, so you need to be sure which resonance you are measuring. Further more the free top resonates different from the top that is glued to the sides.

To answer more than you ask for : The tuning of the top, and back and air resonances too for that matter, are just a few parameters that makes the sound in a guitar. It is a very coarse way to express what a guitar sound like and in my opinion only one small piece in the jig saw puzzle that you try to control as a maker. Let me explain why. In a vibrating system a resonance is a function of mass and stiffness. Thus you can achieve the same resonance frequency with different weights and stiffnesses. A light and floppy top can have the same tuning as a stiff and heavy top. It is easy to understand that those two tops would sound different when used on a guitar. So the "tuning of the top" is more complicated than what this simple sentence say; to tune the top is not just tuning it to a certain note, it is to give the top the correct mass and stiffness, in relation to the rest of the instrument, and the purpose of the instrument is important to have in mind too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2007 19:18:33

Ramón

Thank you, Per.

I spoke with luthier Robert Hein today, and he said pretty much the same thing.

He's met with quite a few builders, in Spain, too, and they seem to go more by flex, feel, good tap tones, and pushing evenly on the bridge when it's 'boxed' - to see if the flex feels even, proper 'give', etc., rather than any perceived 'tuning' or technique....

He said that one time in Romanilos' class, Mr R. was checking his guitar. He pushed on the bridge, grunted, took some #320, made a few passes on the treble side, pushed again, and said; "Now it is ready..."

Science in action....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2007 2:58:48

Haithamflamenco

quote:

He said that one time in Romanilos' class, Mr R. was checking his guitar. He pushed on the bridge, grunted, took some #320, made a few passes on the treble side, pushed again, and said; "Now it is ready..."

damm this is so complecated!!!

Bahrain is my country and Andalucia is my dream
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 14 2007 1:23:08

Armando

Hi Ramón

Mr. Romanillos checked my soundboard as well when i was in the last years course. He did it by flexing the top. He said that the stiffness of my soundboard was so good that i have to go thinner with the bracing. I did it until he said i can't go any deeper anymore with the bracings. He said that he is sure the guitar will sound very good. Unfortunately i don't yet know whether or not his promise is right. I still have to french polish it but the porefilling of the rosewood is really a hassle. I have in mind to leave the polishing to a professional in order not to mess it up.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 14 2007 20:39:36

Per Hallgren

RE: 'Tuning' a top.... (in reply to Armando

quote:

ORIGINAL: Armando
I still have to french polish it but the porefilling of the rosewood is really a hassle. I have in mind to leave the polishing to a professional in order not to mess it up.

Don't you think you would feel good if you didn't? Take your time and finish it yourself.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 15 2007 10:16:13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post