Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer? (in reply to Doitsujin

surely from any great professional guitarist's point of view, i would be considered as a "hobby fiddler", but still, i like to consider myself semi-professional...playing guitar (especially flamenco) doesn't earn you a living in this country (Hungary) and there are no professionals here in this genre or anything non-popular for that matter...i accompany dancers a couple of times a week and they even pay me for it, so i guess that's at least a little bit on the professional side, but i work something else to earn the kind of money that buys me food...in my heart i am a guitarist, maybe not a very good one, but i'm working on it every day so maybe some day i could become a real professional...just let me have this dream that i'm a semi-pro :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 12:53:18

Ailsa

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer? (in reply to Florian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

il go quiet for about a week

Did I miss something? When was that?

Just kidding honeybunch.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 12:54:28

Florian

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer? (in reply to Ailsa

lol.. dont act like you wouldnt miss it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 13:25:54

Zorro02

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer? (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

****.... I thought the question was simple, still not sure of the make up of the foro.
By the way Ailsa your dancing looks fantastic, nice to see this form for a change. Can I call you a dancer, or are you a person who dances?
The rest, as far as I can see play the guitar, are hamsters or bartenders.
What an intelligent lot!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 14:21:54

Ailsa

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer? (in reply to Zorro02

Thanks for your kind comments.

I would probably call myself a dancer because dancing is really important in my life. Sorry sounds dramatic, but it's true! I couldn't call myself a guitarist though - I usually just say 'I'm learning flamenco guitar'.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 14:30:31

Adam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

Well. I have still the same opinion. semi-professionell guitarrist? You shurely meant hobby-fiddler...

Well if I just have to spend some time with the guitar to have the right to call me guitarrist no matter how good or bad....... Than Im a taxi-driver coz I allways drove around with my friends, Im a cook, coz I cook very often, Im an informatic coz I use my notebook every day, Im a designer coz I design my apartment, my clothes and all, Im a dolmetcher coz I speak english, german from time to time, Im a barber, coz I shave my hair by myself, Im a medical dr. coz I allways help my self when Im hurt, and Im much more.... Woow.. I would have to spend over 80years of education to get all these titles to have the right to earn money with this.... But you made it so easy. Really nice idea!
Well,... In my opinion "guitarrist" is a name of an education in guitar.But if you dont work as a guitarrist, than you arent one,.. you would be workless or something different. And just fiddeling around for several years doesnt let become you one if you dont perform it.. A bit hard to discribe...
In short: hobby-fiddlers arent guitarrists, no professional ones and no semi-professional ones.

Ok... in some case you are right Deniz. Today I saw a band during a party at the university. They were so ****ing bad. They earn money with their ****. But you are right if you wouldnt call them musicians....

Ok... dont take my comments to hard. Im very tired now...

lol, you're close but not quite there--the term "medical doctor" requires a doctorate, a very concrete degree, so helping yourself when you're hurt doesn't count. If the car you drove around a lot with your friends were a taxi, then you could call yourself a "taxi driver". So those two are false analogies. As for the rest, well, I have no clue what a dolmetcher is, and I think it's perfectly fine to call yourself a cook, I would define it simply as someone who cooks. You've never heard a person say "I'm a terrible cook, but at least I can microwave stuff"? And I don't know what a dolmetcher is, haha sorry....

Point is, I think the same applies for "guitarist", that the "professional" aspect isn't included in most people's definitions of the word--that it simply means "someone who plays guitar"--and that the original poster really just wanted a survey of what people on this foro do as a hobby, not for a living (I could be wrong, of course). And either way, the fact that I got 21 e-mails from this subscription in less than twelve hours--this, as opposed to any of the many threads on this foro that means something--is kind of ridiculous (although yes, half of it was just romerito and florian ). Is this really such a big deal?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 16:50:00

Florian

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer? (in reply to Adam

quote:

And either way, the fact that I got 21 e-mails from this subscription in less than twelve hours--this, as opposed to any of the many threads on this foro that means something--is kind of ridiculous (although yes, half of it was just romerito and florian )

sorry i gues i felled like discussing, and then ROmerito got me thinking of something else that kind of related lol so i discussed that.

Have you ticked some box where you get a email everytime someone replies to this thread ? thats madness dont ever do that for a JM thread or youl be delteting notifications for a week and by the time u finally get here to read it everyone would have had deleted most of theyr comments lol

ps. sorry u just got another email

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 17:14:42

Adam

haha no problem man yeah, I do that to keep track but usually it isn't too out of hand, I just make sure to avoid doing it on threads about Our Lord and Savior... I mean, JM!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 18:12:54

Ailsa

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer? (in reply to Zorro02

Hey you guys, I just thought of a new category - artist!!! Well, there's no way I would call myself that, I just mess about with paint really. But here's my latest effort. It's based on a photograph - not clever enough to make a complete original. It's planned to be one of three for our apartment in Spain.
When I showed this to my son he said it was abstract so please tell me you can see what it is guys! (PS, the shoes at the bottom of the picture are a giveaway)

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 18:31:51

[Deleted] (in reply to Ailsa

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 18:35:55

Ailsa

RE: Guitarist, Singer or Dancer? (in reply to Guest

Thanks romerito - first time I've shown anyone any of my stuff so that's great.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 18:40:21

Doitsujin

quote:

And I don't know what a dolmetcher is, haha sorry....

haha.. That was a good one. Im very amused, too. English is just not my lenguage and its not important for me to write 100% correct english. Well... and if I would want,.. I also wouldnt be able to do it perfectly. So.. I was just to tired to check if this word exists in english. But Im happy you had some fun reading it.

Seems to be that you are also a person who is a bit pedantic. So here one more example. If you take 1000 pictures with a potocamera a week and maybe sell it to newspapers.. You have not the right to call you to be a photographer (<-- I dont know the exact word for that in english so please try to live with that). Photographer is a protected education-description. hehe.

If you and all the other persons who maybe send you mails coz they are upset, read my posts carefully. Also the ones in past, would know, that I try to spend my experience for helping beginners on the guitar, but often just joke around in threats which arent very important. And I like to choose the position which is mostly the oposite way of thinking in comparison to the most of us. I do this because it wouldnt be interesting if we would all have the same opinion. There would be no iscussion. Maybe most of my posts are stupid, but in the and as you see in your mailbox ... the people open their sleepy eyes and think about the thoughts in the threads more.
Well... maybe I do wrong. Just tell me and I dont do anymore stupid comments in future.

Im not fighting.. just kidding.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 18:55:31

Ron.M

quote:

but often just joke around in threats

Doit my man,
I even sent you a PM about 6 months ago...
Grab a hold of an English/German dictionary and look up the word.
"Thread"
Then look up the word
"Threat"

One letter of a difference, but totally different meanings!

(I loved that "threat" when your "protection" broke just as you were reaching "climax"... )

Stay cool Doit..
I love your posts, but just had to point that out...

cheers,

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 21:23:43

XXX

@Doit: leave those crap, nonsense discussions and say something about my llamada. I have been practising the last days and would honestly know your opinion, as guitarrist, hobby-fiddler, or whatever you would call yourself. I dont know why there arent more accompainists who share their knowledge.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 21:24:27

Doitsujin

ok.... my threat yes? haha..

Yes, I remember a thread about nail-protection which had two meanings.. ok...

I will check Deniz´s llamada now and dont argue on this thread more.. Till now I just missed it.. Is it in the rythm thread? I´ll try to find it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2007 21:55:06
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post