Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

music in the shop   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

jshelton5040

music in the shop 

I was surprised to find that some luthiers don't like music in the shop. We have a fairly high end sound system with a multiple cd player set up in the shop and hundreds of cd's to choose from. Today we were listening to Taffelmusic (Telemann), Concerti Grossi (Handel), Violin sonatas (J.S. Bach), Morao y Oro, an anthology of Buleria Cante that I put together from many different recordings and some Straus waltzes. Of course we didn't listen to all the concerti Grossi or Taffelmusic just one cd of each (we don't work that many hours).

Is this unusual? I can't imagine spending a day in the shop without music. Of course when we're testing a guitar the music is put on pause.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2007 0:34:19

TANúñez

RE: music in the shop (in reply to jshelton5040

Music is ALWAYS on for me. From Flamenco to Rock. Blues to Classical. Always on.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2007 2:45:33

Anders Eliasson

Holy Cow...
Music in the shop is very important. Its one of the best places I know to listen to music.

BUT... One problem....Dust. In my next workshop I´ll dustproof my soundsystem. So far two CD players have died

This means that I listen mostly to my MP3 player and this with Cante.... Hours of Cante. All styles. Sometimes I take a break and listen to Radio Clasica or maybe on sundays I follow the futball .... Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllll de Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllll del Atleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetic.
There´s nothing like when Ismael Urzaiz flies high and with a perfect header, beats the goalkeeper. Thats art and everyone gets up from their chairs (Ismael Urzaiz is my heroe )

When my CD worked, I listened a lot to opera preferiably to Wagner.... One of these 3 hours things that keeps you concentrated.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2007 9:07:24

aarongreen

I have a nice cd player and speakers in my shop. I keep the cd player, tuner etc.. in the "clean" room, where I french polish among other things. I have a few hundred cds but even with all that to choose from, it gets old. Julia, bless her heart, gave me the best present I have ever received, satelite radio. I absolutely love it. I tend to leave on the Pure Jazz channel (no new age, smooth jazz or any of that other crap) great to listen and work to. I also switch it to various rock channels but find myself running back into the clean room to change the station when a song that is less than pleasing comes on, so for productivity sake, Jazz is the way to go. I am becoming quite a whistler, maybe there will be a career there for me if this whole guitar thing peters out. :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2007 12:03:01

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I am becoming quite a whistler

Aaron Green... The new Roger Whittaker

Radio is cool. I love Radio, and its one of the things they do well here in Spain. (not only futball radio)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2007 18:06:36

Estevan

RE: music in the shop (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

I listened a lot to opera preferiably to Wagner.... One of these 3 hours things that keeps you concentrated.

Hast du eine Gesamtkunstgitarre gebaut?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2007 18:35:54

Estevan

quote:

Aaron Green... The new Roger Whittaker

Toots Thielemans!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2007 18:37:46

Per Hallgren

Of course there's music in my workshop. I agree with Anders that the workshop is one of the best places to listen to music. My workshop has the only (vinyl)record player at my place and hundreds of old LP's. My working hour is split up in 3 or 4 periods by the record player (which is situated in the "dust free room").
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2007 19:00:42

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Hast du eine Gesamtkunstgitarre gebaut?

Selbstverständlich. Die sind alle Gesamtkunstgitarren.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2007 8:21:05

Estevan

quote:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2007 15:24:40

TANúñez

quote:

Anders that was funny!.....................whatever that meant

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2007 16:43:22

Ron.M

RE: music in the shop (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

Anders that was funny!.....................whatever that meant

Would also get a lot of points in "Scrabble".

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2007 17:49:15

stephen hill

I had an old radio in my current workshop in the mountains here that I listened to, the reception wasnt so good so I got 'radio fiesta' and a couple of arabic music stations only, the classical station always eluded me, this went on for a year and I celebrated by buying myself a cd player...
I love music, maybe thats why I am a guitarmaker...

stephen hill - granada spain
http://www.spanishguitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2007 18:55:45

JBASHORUN

We are "not allowed" to listen to the radio in our workshop because apparently it poses a health and safety danger... for example, you cannot clearly hear what is going on around you. But also, it probably distracts you, and you might make mistakes.

It would be nice, though...

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2007 21:47:51

jshelton5040

RE: music in the shop (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

ORIGINAL: JBASHORUN

We are "not allowed" to listen to the radio in our workshop because apparently it poses a health and safety danger... for example, you cannot clearly hear what is going on around you. But also, it probably distracts you, and you might make mistakes.

It would be nice, though...

So are you not allowed to wear ear protection when running power tools?

Music definitely can be a distraction but I've never felt guilty about putting down the chisels and listening to a particularly beautiful piece of music for a few minutes. Life is too short (and getting shorter all the time at my age) to worry about it. I find I can only work on guitars 3-4 hours a day anyway or I risk making mistakes. Arthritis has ended my ability to play and now old age is limiting my ability to concentrate. The arthritis is particularly frustrating when someone is trying out a guitar. I used to frequently snatch the guitar away and say "no, not like that, do it this way". Now I just watch since I know my fingers won't do it anymore. I'll build guitars until I'm too old or crippled to hold a chisel; but it's getting easier all the time to take a day off and go fishing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2007 23:17:46

TANúñez

quote:

Music definitely can be a distraction but I've never felt guilty about putting down the chisels and listening to a particularly beautiful piece of music for a few minutes. Life is too short (and getting shorter all the time at my age) to worry about it. I find I can only work on guitars 3-4 hours a day anyway or I risk making mistakes. Arthritis has ended my ability to play and now old age is limiting my ability to concentrate. The arthritis is particularly frustrating when someone is trying out a guitar. I used to frequently snatch the guitar away and say "no, not like that, do it this way". Now I just watch since I know my fingers won't do it anymore. I'll build guitars until I'm too old or crippled to hold a chisel; but it's getting easier all the time to take a day off and go fishing.

Since your on the subject of old age....do you have a son your going to will your shop too? if not, I'm available and will change my name to Shelton. Tom Shelton. It's gotta nice ring to it.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2007 23:32:18

JBASHORUN

quote:

Use of power tools is at a minimum in our workshop... we only have a thicknesser/planer and a router that could possibly require ear protection, and ear protection is rarely (if ever) used, even with those machines. IF it IS used, it is used only briefly whilst the machine is running, and then removed promptly afterwards.

A few people have worn headphones in the workshop whilst working, and they were told rather quickly to remove them.

I guess it is different in a luthiery COLLEGE (rather than professional workshop) because there are health and safety LAWS that must be adhered to. And ultimately it is the luthiery TEACHER who is responsible for his students' saftey, rather than the students themselves.

Jb

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 0:25:07

jshelton5040

RE: music in the shop (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

ORIGINAL: JBASHORUN

quote:

Use of power tools is at a minimum in our workshop... we only have a thicknesser/planer and a router that could possibly require ear protection, and ear protection is rarely (if ever) used, even with those machines. IF it IS used, it is used only briefly whilst the machine is running, and then removed promptly afterwards.

A few people have worn headphones in the workshop whilst working, and they were told rather quickly to remove them.

Well, I certainly understand the problems with state sponsored rules. The reason we've never taken an apprentice is the ridiculous tort laws. I can't afford enough insurance to allow anyone to work in my shop. It's a shame because there are lots of young people who would love to come here and learn what little we know.

Re: ear protection
Don't let anyone decide when you need to put on the phones. I've worn earplugs and phones all my adult life whenever there was even the least chance of injuring my ears. I even wore them riding motorcycle because of the wind noise. You'll never regret saving your hearing when you get old like me. Tinnitis is an awful affliction.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 0:46:11

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I find I can only work on guitars 3-4 hours a day anyway or I risk making mistakes.

Me to... Music in the workshop makes it possible for me to work a little longer. I relax more and I work slower. Both possitive aspects.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2007 8:21:52
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote