Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

tremelo   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rickm

tremelo 

I know there are always questions on tremelo. I have practiced tremelo, particularly Recuerdos for several years. I have a excellent classical teacher who has a blinding tremelo. I have practiced as fast as I can, as slow as I can and taking special care for sequence etc. and still do not have a effective tremelo. It is one of the mainstays of my practice. Simply said, it seems some cannot do great tremelo, and perhaps some cant do great rasquedos, etc. (My ras seems to be ok.) I am 56 years old and maybe the fingers cant work as well. ? Any ideas out there Apparently it is not something that comes naturally to me. Also I am left handed, so perhaps I dont have the dexterity in the right hand as a righthanded person might. Any ideas would be great. thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 13:16:03

Thomas Whiteley

RE: tremelo (in reply to rickm

Try going to my web site under Exercises and try the Tremolo using the 1 st string only. The concept is to gain control of the hand to play an even Tremolo using only the 1 st string. As you gain control try the other Tremolo exercises on my web site.

The Classsical tremolo is different than the Flamenco tremolo. It takes practice.

There was a person in China who used my exercise to learn tremolo. One day he decided to e-mail a mp3 of him playing my final tremolo exercise. It was several megs in size and not expected. He then asked how he had done, and I answered him he did very well. This is one use of the Internet to give lessons from a distance!

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 15:01:32

Hola

The tremolo is an argeggio. The "flamenco" tremolo has 4 treble notes instead of 3 and sounds fuller. It is usually taught iami, iami.

Try mami, mami. This is a far more natural sequence and is easy to play fast.

Suerte

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 15:33:55

Miguel de Maria

Sounds like you have put some time in, but maybe you need to try some other things. There are lots of tremolo studies and aids on the market. The fact that these even exist, says to me that many find tremolo very difficult. So you should find solace in that!

Tremolo must be done with very relaxed fingers. And each finger must be under great control. When you practice, practice with concentration. Make sure each movement is smooth. Don't worry about the speed, just get it smooth and even. After awhile, I would think that thing would work themselves out. But practice it every day.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 15:45:26

Billyboy

RE: tremelo (in reply to Thomas Whiteley

Some guitarists notably Juan Martin have terrible tremelo, the flamenco one is far easieir than the classical one because if you miss a finger, you have still got three to fall back on to keep it smooth, practicing slow, and ecomomy of movement is what its all about, but don't give up, there is nothing natural with anything guitar wise, and what can be a difficult techneque on year can become your strongest after a while.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 17:56:33

rickm

RE: tremelo further (in reply to rickm

thank all of you for your replies, and yes tom, I have practiced the exercises on your web site, not consistently, but I have. Another question would be is it possible to play Recuerdos with the flamenco tremelo of 4 beats instead of three.? I guess its possible, but do you loose the flavor of the sequence of Recuerdos then? I have never practiced a
mami tremelo and will give that a try.

One more question if yuou will, I have seen tab written with lets say a fingered e chord,
(first position) which indicates to me a strum of the e chord, then I see a e chord with a wavy line and then a R, indicating rasquedo. Ok , makes sense, but then I'll see lets say the chord written five times in rapid succession which again, to me, indicates a rasquedo. Is it just the same thing written differently? I'll have to try and post a example if needed via cut and paste if this doesnt make any sense. And this is a wonderful forum. thanks again
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 18:06:49

Escribano

Not sure I understand, is there such as a thing as a strum in flamenco I have always read this as a slowish strum with pulgar, not a ras. Though I haven't seen the R so maybe that is notation for a ras.

If it's five times in quick succession and it's a ras, there should be some fingering above them like p n a m i

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 18:23:44

Billyboy

The chord with the wavy line next to it usually means a brushed chord where you lightly do a rasguado starting e,a,m,i, only lightly, followed by the thumb down, it just embelishes the chord a bit.
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 18:26:06

gerundino63

HI, GTRR66

I have trained my tremelo a lot, the only thing that got me better, was to train the tremolo on the second (b) string.

Becouse you have to control your fingers very carrefully to avoid hitting the first (e), you learn yourself to make the movement as small as possible.

Try it for a few weeks, and go to the first (e) string again, you will feel the difference.

greetings, Peter
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 20:20:46

Florian

Peter i dont know what are you talking about i have heard your tremolo , you tremolo is good.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 22:22:07

Thomas Whiteley

It is more difficult to use a flamenco Tremolo for Recuerdos de la Alhambra as you have to fit in one more note for the technique. It also changes the "feeling".

Ideally, the music should indicate what fingering is used for left and right hand. That is not always the case. Some people also use different methods to notate a rasgueado.

Sometimes a series of chords closely spaced will be played using the Indice up and down. An example would be helpful.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2004 23:34:48
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll