Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Monterey cypress   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

tk

Monterey cypress 

Any advise on the difference between Monterey Cypress and Spanish Cypress? Is it in the sound/looks???

Thanks

TK
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2007 22:33:22

TANúñez

RE: Monterey cypress (in reply to tk

As of right now, I've build more flamencos from Monterey than Med. Cypress. Mainly because it's more affordable and easy to get here through LMI. There is a slight different in sound or tone but don't know how to describe it. It's very minor though.

As far as looks, the Monterey I've used has had more figure to the wood with more color variations.

Here's two pics. The one on the left is Monterey, and Med. Cypress on the right.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2007 22:53:45

TANúñez

RE: Monterey cypress (in reply to TANúñez

The picture above of the Monterey Cypress is from one of the most crazy or wild figures I've seen. Below is another picture of the typical Monterey I use. This one looks very similar to Mediterranean cypress.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2007 2:45:27

Armando

RE: Monterey cypress (in reply to tk

Hello

TANunez

The distance of the annual rings indicates that the set of Monterrey that you have shown on the picture is a piece of very fast grown cypress. I agree that this is not that critical for the backs and sides as it would be on a soundboard but i would not be happy with such a piece of wood and i think most customer wouldn't either. I have purchased Monterrey cypress from Australia and that looks similar to the one shown in the second picture on the bottom. Basically i think that Monterrey can be a good substitute to mediterranean in terms of sound and look, but the smell of mediterranean is unique.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2007 22:11:25

TANúñez

RE: Monterey cypress (in reply to Armando

The guitar I made with that crazy piece of Monterey was actually the best guitar I had made up to that point. I was going to keep it for myself. I presented it to my former teacher to get his input and when he offered to buy it on the spot, I couldn't resist as my wallet had been empty for quite some time. Funny how money will often change your mind .

He particularly loved the crazy figure of the back. Under finish, it looked really nice. It was a nice stable piece of wood. However, I prefer the usual straight grain.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2007 17:28:57
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll