Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Camaron "or" Camaron de la Isla?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Michael

Camaron "or" Camaron de la... 

I have recordings of Camaron and Camaron de la Isla. I've always assumed they were the same person, the infamous Camaron. But in many cases, the styles of the music were so varied that I was wondering if there is another singer out there daring to use the name Camaron.

On some of the recordings the voice is deep and gutteral where as on others, it seems to be more high pitched and the style has a slight flamenco nuevo flair to it.

I know this is all very fundamental to most of you afficionados, so don't go getting down on me for not being up to snuff on this topic.

Thanks in advance.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2004 23:14:33

Phil

RE: Camaron "or" Camaron d... (in reply to Michael

Michael,
You don't have to worry about asking questions on this forum. To date, no one has ever been insulted or belittled for asking a legitimate question. To my knowledge there is only one Camaron (Jose Monje Cruz). I don't believe anybody would have the audacity to use that name. There was, however, an singer that called himself El Chocolate de Granada to distinguish himself from the other Chocolate (Antonio Nuñez). I believe he died not too long ago. Anyway, could you be more specific and name the recordings you're referring to along with the dates? His voiced changed over the years, but 'deep and guttural'? Voices change with time, some for better and some for worse. I never used to like B.B. King's voice. I thought it was too smooth, but now that he's older his voice has developed an edge that I like. It sounds more bluesy to me. Camaron's voice, IMO, was better when he was young. Keep in mind that he had of lung cancer, which undoubtedly had an adverse effect on his voice.
Phil
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 0:24:19

Tenshu

RE: Camaron "or" Camaron d... (in reply to Phil

In retrospect, very ironic to know he smoked to keep his voice rajo.

To answer your question, Michael: there can be only one Camaron...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 10:31:53

Michael

RE: Camaron "or" Camaron d... (in reply to Michael

Thanks guys for responding and confirming my thoughts.

Phil... I think I used the wrong words when I said "deep and gutteral". I should have said "sounded more raspy" on some music more than others.

The selection that I had in question was a number entitled "La Leyenda del Tiempo". I can't tell you the name of the album because I got it from a shared MP-3 file. I do not own an extensive collection of CD's but I do have a CD of PDL and Camaron and every track on the CD is puro.

Again the track I was speaking of "La Leyenda" is ultra modern sounding and I guess that's another reason why I was doubting it's authenticity. Possibly the MP-3 file that I downloaded was mis-labled in the first place. If that's the case it would certainly solve a lot questions.

Thanks again guys for your help.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2004 19:02:43
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote