Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

And look at these pegs!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

a_arnold

And look at these pegs! 

From the same Salvador Castillo negra.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2007 3:49:29

Doitsujin

RE: And look at these pegs! (in reply to a_arnold

Guitarheads with pegs allways look naked.. I dont like it. Also very unconfortable to tune. If you have new strings on the guitar or played a piece with different tuning on stage, often you have to tune a little bit later during following pieces. With machineheads its possible, with pegheads you are ****ed. IMO. There is a thing on sale. They put mechanics inside of the pegheads. It looks 100% like pegheads and you can use them normal, but machines are inside and make it much easyer to tune. That would be the only chance to use pegheads in a good way if somebody like the look.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2007 7:53:49

JBASHORUN

The pegs in A Arnold's photo look suspiciously like Old English "heart" style VIOLIN pegs. When you have an expensive violin such as a Strad or Guarneri, this style of pegs is favoured, albeit in boxwood rather than ebony/rosewood. But I'm not sure if there's much difference between violin pegs and guitar pegs anyway...

Jb

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2007 10:38:06

a_arnold

JB is right: They are heart-style pegs, but I had them specially carved at flamenco peg size, made of ebony instead of the usual boxwood, and tapered more sharply. I shipped them to Castillo to install while he was building it.

Doitsujin: I've lived with pegs for 45 years -- since I started playing as a kid; never knew anything else. I guess that's why they don't look as "naked" to me as they do to you. To me they look graceful and somehow right. Or maybe I'm just a pervert who likes his guitars naked. Plus string changes go a LOT faster. But I'll certainly admit I've had a few flamenco guitars (a banger made by Rafael Morales of the Granada school especially) for which the pegs were troublesome -- mainly because they were put into an unseasoned peghead which then changed dimensionally until the holes were oval; Castillo's pegs, however, are fitted so precisely I find them just as easy to use as machines, and I much prefer to keep the peghead as light as possible, since I rest the lower bout on my right leg and it tends to tip to the left if there's too much weight up there.

Those mechanical pegs with the gears inside that you say are the "only chance" have always felt heavy and looked clunky to me. They are thicker and heavier than the real pegs I am used to. But I can certainly understand someone who started out with machines finding pegs to be difficult. Several of my students have bought student model peghead guitars because they liked the look, and then discovered that they weren't as easy to use as I made it look during lessons. Some changed the guitar, some traded in, some were willing or able to adapt.

Chacun a son gout, I guess.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 3:13:26

Anders Eliasson

James.

You use thin Viola pegs for guitars. You can get heart shaped (and other shapes) pegs in various woods with different extras at Dick.GMBH in Germany. No need for having someone make them specially for you.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 8:29:06

Anders Eliasson

I´m sorry, Its not my fault that this company has this name you cannot write on this forum
(What a stupid name for such a high quality company)

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 8:31:14

JBASHORUN

Thanks Anders! And yes, I'm very familiar with the company. If I remember rightly they sell what is described as "the smallest plane in the world"... its a tiny little thumb plane. I can't think of a good use for it, but I've been meaning to buy one just because they are so COOL, lol! its funny how you begin to appreciate tools when you work with wood...

Jb

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 10:20:10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post