Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

New Castillo negra   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

a_arnold

New Castillo negra 

Check out this peg head:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2007 3:46:14

elblanco

RE: New Castillo negra (in reply to a_arnold

i'm new to the forum, been lurking for a bit- find alot of good stuff here.

wanted to drop in and say i have 2 of Salvador's guitars (blanca and a negra) and they are incredible.

I play flamenco professionally here in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and have gone to Paracho many times to check out guitars. The best flamencos in my opinion are made by Salvador Castillo.
Having played some of the best (Conde,Reyes,Gerundino,Ramirez,Green...) i feel his guitars are right up there, and more within my budget!

good to see someone else here knows about him.

Saludos,
Guillermo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2007 20:58:23

Escribano

RE: New Castillo negra (in reply to elblanco

quote:

I play flamenco professionally here in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Welcome Guillermo. Small world. I Just got back from your town. Enjoyed it immensely. Didn't make it to Paracho.

I am now thinking about buying another place in San Miguel. Perhaps we can hook up next time I am out?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2007 21:05:50

a_arnold

Guillermo:

I too have owned Ramirez, Bellido, and Manuel de la Chica's top model (Chica's student models were noticeably less impressive). I think Salvador's guitars are the equal of any of these. When I was in college I worked in the musical instrument restoration lab at the Smithsonian for 4 years, and my boss had the enviable job of researching classical and flamenco (and steel string acoustic) guitars at government expense. He visited the Kohno factory at its peak, the Ramirez shop, all the Granada makers, Valencia, Seville, Madrid, Barcelona, Almeria, Paris, Hauser, Martin, and even Paracho (which, at the time, was only making student/studio models). He thought Chica's best was as good as anyone in the world in 1967, and I know for a fact Salvador is just as good. I still own a Ramirez and a Chica, and can put them side-by-side with new strings on and compare. And I've tried a lot of guitars (I also play professionally). But I've never played one I like better than the 2 Castillos I own. They are stunningly good -- and I am lucky enough to be able to afford what I want in a guitar.
Yes, Castillo's guitars are less expensive now, but it won't be long before Paracho's best builders are recognized as world class, and Castillo is the best of them. I bought a top-of-the-line Bellido for $800 in the early 70's before he became known (I lived across from his shop for 3 months in the old Hostal California on Caille Ganivet) and that was a good investment then. Castillo is a good investment now.
I think there are a lot of people out there who will regret not noticing him early enough to get one at a today's prices. It's like buying stock in Microsoft in 1973. Sure, today we all know Conde and Ramirez make good guitars. Anyone can learn that, even non-guitarists. But it takes judgment to find the best before they are recognized. Castillo is just one of many really good makers out there. If his stock were trading publicly, this would be in his prospectus: his guitars have gone up almost $1k in the last 2 years. Doubled. And he doesn't make student models. At all. Only commissions.
Tony A.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 3:54:00

elblanco

Escribano- sorry we didn't make a connection when you were here! Definitely get in touch if you come back. Be good to hang out and we could even make a trip to Paracho if interested...

Tony A.-
sounds like you know your guitars, and you are absolutely right- won't be long till Salvador is recognized as a world class luthier, with some of the best flamenco builders around. He'll have a long waiting list soon!

I plan to get more of his guitars as they keep getting better and the 2 i have are maturing beautifully. I have a blanca (spruce/cypress) and a negra (spruce/indian) both with tuning machines although i had a couple of his with pegs and they were beautiful as well.
All of his guitars really have alot of character. He's the one in paracho who really gets the flamenco sound, when i first walked into his shop he had Camaron on the cd player!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 16:30:03

elblanco

What a great headstock design no?

One of my favorites.

I'll try to upload a pic of the 2 Castillos i have if i can figure out how...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 16:32:05

elblanco

here's a couple bad pic's-
sorry don't have a camera- these are with laptop...

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 16:48:08

elblanco

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2007 16:49:50

elblanco

here's a video of the negra

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2007 20:18:43

Ricardo

Sounding great there amigo! Nice guitar, nice falsetas, good compas!

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2007 21:02:39
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote