Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Conde Hermanos Concert Series advice...   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

avimuno

Conde Hermanos Concert Series advice... 

Hi all,

I have been playing flamenco for about 18 years now and I think that it is time for me to indulge myself with a proper concert flamenco guitar... just to see what the fuss is all about.

I have a couple of options available to me but I seem to always come back to wanting a Conde Hermanos, especially the AF25R/Brazilian Rosewood.

I have unfortunately never played a Conde (impossible to find one where i come from), and was wandering if any of you guys owns one, and could advise whether it's an instrument worth investing such a big amount of money in. OR perhaps suggest good alternatives.

Thank you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2007 3:29:24

RE: Conde Hermanos Concert Series ad... (in reply to avimuno

hi avimuno
AF25R is great guitar but it depends on what sound do ya like for example paco or vicente this are very clear two example for blanca and negra ,are you get used to negra ? i think the only one who is aware of this point latelt is recardo cause he own a new one lately so he willanswer you sure , in my openion af25r is great guitar but also there is andres de marvi the guitar that gerardo nunez play is wonder full and i ve a friend own one he says that this is the best guitar ever...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2007 5:36:19

Ricardo

If you can find a used one, probably better. In the end, I say, like any other guitar, make sure you can try it first. Make sure it is what you reallly want.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2007 6:53:08

legrec

Hola!

I suppose several foromembers have played or owned an AF25 or similar conde negras. I myself only tried blancas from Conde.

Like Ricardo said : try before you buy, and if it's impossible as it's the case for most of us, get a return policy, no matter it's a pro or a private seller.
My personal opinion is that with big brand names (large scale production), it's very important to have this return policy when you can't try. Too much "so-so" guitars around to take the risk. But it's also clever with a "one-man-operation" builder...

If price isn't a concern, you can buy it "new" but with a second-hand one, you can save a LOT of money, and still have a "smooth" transaction.
Be careful of the "prices delirum" : there can be braz conde at 9000$ and others at 4000$...

In Europe now (don't know where you're located), there are plenty of Conde for sale on the second-hand market. Brazilians are more rare, but there is always one for sale from time to time. Would say a "good price" is around 4000$-5500$ for a braz. one.
http://atiza.com/musicos/tablonanuncios/forosrespuestas.asp?MsgId=1109691
or
http://www.vioworld-klassik.de/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evioworld%2Dklassik%2Ede%2Fkleinanzeigen%2Frubrik%2Ephp%3Frid%3D24%26startpage%3D5%26biete%5Fsuche%3Db%26r%5Fname%3D
(go to page 1)

About the good alternatives, it's hard to tell because :
- There are many. Reyes, Gerundino, Devoe, Green,...just to speak about the most knowns..
- It's a bit "personal", as Ricardo often says. What type of sound, playability, etc.

In my own "guitar quest", I've been able to play a few guitars and realized how much the fame of the brand can be dissocied from the quality of the guitar (with conde and ramirez for a "negative" relation, and with other unknown builders in a positive relation). For sure, the "fame" helps you if you want to sell back your guitar one day... But will still recommand making all that's possible to try every guitar, even from "unknown" or lesser-known builders...
And perhaps also you can try contacting foromembers close to you, if there are some..

¡Buena suerte!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2007 10:53:29

Ricardo

I also own Hermanos Sanchis Lopez, which is very comparable in look sound and feel. Price is much lower as well. I prefer the Conde's I own and many I have tried. But this Sanchis is surprisingly good for the price. I would use as a "concert" guitar if I had to.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2007 18:37:23

chinito

Definitely try before you buy. So many overpriced guitars out there based entirely on the builder's name. I don't doubt that good Conde's are phenomenal instruments, but I have tried a few that were soundwise well below their high price tags.
If you can, be sure to check out some of the Granada makers for great guitars for more reasonable prices. Tomatito can be seen playing a Bellido in some older videos.
Also as Ricardo mentioned, Sanchis Lopez are well worth a look. Pedro Sierra has recently been playing one of their guitars and so do members of the Amador family. I think Nino Josele is playing one in the Paco Live in Germany DVD.

-Jake.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2007 18:29:34

avimuno

Thanks a lot for the quick replies and good advices guys. I'll definitely have a look into some of the makers you suggested.
BTW, have any of you tried guitars by Anders Eliasson? His guitars seem really great and I like the personal touch that he offers.

Regards.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2007 19:47:49

Doitsujin

S H I T!! MAN!! Yesterday I played a Reyes of the year 1968. IT WAS THE BEST GUITAR I´VE EVERY PLAYED!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I WANT THIS ONE!!!!!!
The person who buyed this one. Was friend of Reyes and lived at his house fo some weeks 40years ago. He hold the young Reyes in his hands as he was a baby. DAMN! He buyed it for around 400Euro. Ok in past they earned much less. So it was around 2000Euro in comparison to today. Now the price is over 6000Euro. Im so sad. I love this guitar.... *cry cry*.... :.((((
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2007 9:56:23

legrec

RE: Conde Hermanos Concert Series ad... (in reply to Doitsujin

Seems like you liked the guitar !!

I "missed" the opportunity of a 59 Reyes in good condition except a repaired side crack for 3000€ this summer...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2007 11:40:18

hey guys reyes or conde AF25R ??? .......

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2007 14:02:53

TANúñez

RE: Conde Hermanos Concert Series ad... (in reply to Guest

quote:

hey guys reyes or conde AF25R ??? .......

No one can answer this for you. It depends on what your looking for in a guitar. They are both good but both very different.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2007 16:18:20

Hola doublekk2

Question is do you know what a Reyes sounds like? They are all different but there is a family resemblance. When we were doing a studio recording recently, the guitarist had a choice of his Reyes, my Gerundino, a Conde blanca and a Conde negra. The record was eventually recorded with the Conde blanca.

Neither I, nor the guitarist, nor the recording engineer would say it was the "best" guitar, but it recorded better, when played by this guitarist, than the rest. The complaint about the Reyes was that it recorded like a bandurria when the cejilla was on 5.

Played live, to accompany, it is sensational.

The advice on this forum is always the same: try before you buy. One man´s meat is another man´s poison. And not all Reyes or Condes or De Voes sound or play the same.

Suerte

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2007 16:43:02

thankx sean your answer was great but i still dont know which cause i vent played any of them but i am selling myguitar now and looking to own one of them but my problem excists thats because that i donthave the option of playing the instrument before i buy cause i am soo far from any shop and any seller

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2007 0:27:24

cavaliotis

hola avimuno

First of all excuse my bad English (I am Greek) and excuse the unorganized thoughts I will write further down because I am at work and there are many things going on around.

you asked a question about Anders's Eliasson guitars so that is what I am going to answer to you...

About two years ago I ordered a flamenco negra from Anders Eliasson...
The instrument is magnificent...
As soon as I picked it up I was amazed by the sound... I played anything I could think of (Taranta, Buleria with a capo at several frets, solea , Tango, Cantina, ....) and the guitar responded prfectly
The action is super low with almost no buzz. The playability is so easy that things I would try to play with my old guitar and seamed hard now was a piece of cake.
Of course over the past two years the sound has improved (since its a negra and takes some months for the instrument to mature)
I have played several famous label guitars and none satisfied me that much
My teacher's Pedro de Miguel is nowhere near my Anders Eliasson... I have tried several Condes at a shop here in Athens and they cannot compare... He is actualy going to order a negra for himself in the near future
Right now I am waiting on my second Anders Elliasson , a blanca this time, which I will receive on April... along with my friend's negra cedar top guitar...

As far as Anders he is a profesional in all aspects... He keeps me updated during the building process with emails and pictures, he is always working according to the time bounderies he has announced me in advance and always has the time to give me his professional opinion about anything I have asked him so far over the phone or via email.

Overall I have to say this: Whoever desides to purchase an Anders Eliasson guitar will be 100% satisfied.
Anders builds 100% handmade proffessional instruments at a low cost that can easyly stand beside famous labels with success

If you search the foro for post about Anders you will find out that what I wrote is comonly accepted by the forum members

If you have any other inquires do not hesitate to personal email me at gcavaliotis@eurolife.gr

Best Regards

George Cavaliotis
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2007 8:02:26

Anders Eliasson

Hi George.

Good to see you on the forum.. And thanks a lot for the possitive feedback. Much appreciated.
Your guitar is doing well and will be finished start April.

Un saludo
Anders

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2007 18:09:26

avimuno

Hey Anders, thanks a lot for sending me this e-mail concerning your guitars. I am seriously considering getting one, although it might a bit of time before I finalise everything. I will be gettign in touch with you.

And thanks a lot for the feedback George, greatly appreciated.

Regards
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2007 18:32:04

cavaliotis

Anders and avimuno

you are both welcome

Best regards

George Cavaliotis
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2007 7:25:24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to: