Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2007 16:51:34

guitarbuddha

RE: chord list (in reply to Guest

Hi there a theory in science is just about as robust as it gets. In physical sciences that says a lot.
Now the phrygain mode is the notes of a C scale starting on E (thats four frets below for tab speakers). In A it would be the notes of an F major scale starting on A. Now there is another way of playing phrygian and that is with a sharp third ( A,Bb,C# instead of A B C). This relates to the harmonic minor scale starting a fourth above ( thats five frets up or up a string for tabbers ). Now in an andalucian cadence in A you will have the chords Dm C Bb and A. You can use your C natural right up to the A but since it is an A major chord and not an A minor chord that you arrive on then you will probably want to play C sharps at that point.
Since our ears know that the A major is coming we can use the C sharp for effect along the way and also since we are all really familiar with the major scale we can use the C natural over the A major chord and it will still sound cool in a bluesy flamenco kind of way.
Now the andalucain cadence is something that most flamenco pieces make references to ( i think thats what the article really meant ) buts thats not a theory its an observation.

Is your point that you dont understand music thory or that those who do cant communicate with you without you adopting a negative position ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2007 17:46:21

Ricardo

quote:

I am curious about the Spanish phrygian. A-Bb-C-C#-D-E-F-G-A.
In her book on Flamenco Music Theory, Lola Fernandez calls A-Bb-C#-D-E-F-G-A the "modo flamenco." I don't know if she made that up but I don't agree.

I agree with her 100%. One can make up "names" for scales (a mode IS a scale), call it the "romerito mode" if you want, but the name is not so important as the actual notes and their use. THAT is the true "theory" or point of it. Since she is talking flamenco, her terminology is the same I would use, and here "theory point" taken. Perhaps we could say it is the "flamenco phrygian", but not fair since a lot of spanish music that is NOT flamenco, uses the same mode. But be honest, spanish classical music owes a lot to that mode from the flamencos.

Chords are notes from a scale or mode stacked up. So guitarbuddha pretty much clearified it. In addition I would like to add my peronal terminology to clearify things:
Phrygian, or natural phrygian, or minor phrygian=ABbCDEFG
Phrygian Dominant (mode 5 of harmonic minor)=ABbC#DEFG
Spanish phrygian (a combination of the two above)=ABbCC#DEFG

Flamenco uses other and any notes from the chromatic scale (such as G#) which also affect harmony, but this is a base. Because the guitar is a western tonal type instrument, you can apply the same harmony ideas to these modes, as one would do with major or minor keys in Western music.

You don't have to agree with terminology, but the musical purpose of "spanish phrygian" or "modo flamenco", is sound. Ancient Greeks had different meanings for the modes we use today, and Indian modal musicians obvioulsy have their own names for similar scales.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2007 21:22:33

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 4:41:03

Ricardo

Ok, just do a search dude!!

Sorry I miss read your post anyway. Your point is that she was missing the C natural from the scale, and naming phrygian dominant "modo flamenco" and you think that is incorrect? (Because of that darn misssenllpig thing I am now only seeing the first and last letter of everyword! Goes for scales too I guess.) OK, I am with you on that sorry. Here you go anyway.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/m_47110/appid_/p_/mpage_1/key_harmonic%252Cmajor/tmode_/smode_/s_/tm.htm

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 4:56:35

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 5:00:19

guitarbuddha

Hi Romerito, my apologies .Im sorry if I misjudged the tone of your question.

That excercise that your friend gave you seems really cool .
Now if you want your theory to be more accessable as you are playing you need to apply it to our instrument as soon as possible ( you know like when you learn a word you use it straight away so you dont forget and so that it means something to you. So take a chord progression each day ( short four bar cadences are best to start off with ), play the chord for the first two beats and play a scale fragment starting on a note of the chord for the rest of the bar. Now if you can keep this going then your theory will start to pay off. Youll be amazed how many traditional falsetas have patterns like these and if you are relating the scale position to the chord position then it is much easier to remember big chunks quickly. A really good way to look at scales is to think that they simply connect chord tones together and if you have a chord shape then your fingers will drift to these strong notes and you can fill in the gaps in ways that are appealing to your ear and thats when you get hundreds of scales.

An excercise that I like is this.
Play a chord (say C) For a bar and for the next bar improvise over some alternatice scales
Make it the I chord in C play C Major
IV in G play C lydian
V F C Mixolydian
I in Fm
bVI in Em
bIII in Am ( with g sharp, then g natural and then both )

Also play c minor pentatonic, c major pentatonic and the c blues scale. Then play the chromatic scale, whole tone starting on c, whole tone starting on b.

As you keep cycling back between strumming your straight c chord and playing all of these scales your subconscious will start to make choices about how the different notes feel against a c chord. Then your fingers start to think for themselves.

Do it for a few days with just one basic chord shape. Then you do another chord, or c in the next position. That gives you thousands of different scales positions for your guitar but if you do the excercise like the one i detailed above eventually youl just be thinking of one chord and moving between all the cool sounds that you can play over it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 14:11:39

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 16:21:44

guitarbuddha

Yeah thats what im doing right now too trying to take my own advice. ( You see I do good hypocrisy ).

Trying to fit all of these ideas into improvising alegrias in C. Its a real brain tickler but when I rest my head and go to free improvising ( noodling ) I notice the difference.

Glad you recognised some worth in my humble ( if verbose ) suggestions.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 16:33:23

Ricardo

RE: chord list (in reply to guitarbuddha

Good advice guitarbuddha. Mistake here?
quote:

I in Fm

did you mean V in Fm so it is C phrygian, or phrygian dominant/spanish phrygian like we have been talking about all along???

Another suggestion over that chord is C symmetric or diminished, the one that goes half-whole from C (CDbEb etc), not whole-half. And also C super locrian (Db melodic minor), mode 2 of Bb melodic minor, and mode 5 of F melodic minor. Lots of choices over the V chord. Oh also F harmonic major as discussed in the link earlier.

One more suggestion along your lines, is to go through the modes based on the Circle of 5ths, meaning you change mode bright-dark, subtracting sharps, or adding flats. I suggest you do this exercise much longer than a single bar each, so you really get the vibe. You have to change chord quality when you get to Dorian, but this the order I mean:
C lydian
C ionian
C mixolydian
C dorian (now you have C minor chord)
C aeolian
C phrygian (here use minor phrygian, but also go back to C major chord and use phrygian dominant AND spanish phrygian)
C locrian (Cminor7b5 you have to use that chord).

Then you get to sense the change of mood or color of the modes. Each one of those modes above, is like the one above or below it, just ONE note is different. ONE note changes the mood totally.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 16:43:01

guitarbuddha

Yes thanks for the correction.

I think your idea of ordering them like that would be great Im definately going to do it.
It will be a real challenge as I will basically have to memorize a fourteen bar structure to navigate my way through them all without getting lost but I agree one hundred percent, that ordering will lead to a more powerful learning experience. Thanks.

David.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 17:05:34

guitarbuddha

You know I got the idea for that excercise listening to some gypsy violin music on the film Latcho Drom. It was a way for me to make a sense of what supericially can seem like chromatic ideas.

Have you seen Tomatito playing on the other Tony Gatlif film Vengo at the beginning? He has an amazing ear and as the melody changes mode against the pedal he picks just the right chord to complement the change, it makes me so green.

Also I saw a video of Nusrat Fati Ali Khan the sufi singer improvising and as he masterfully moved between modes sometimes vast distances apart his Harmonium player stuck to him like glue. That must be a terrifying gig. If you guess wrong then you absolutely will destroy the vibe. So many amazing musicians out there !!! God I wish I had perfect pitch.

Another Idea if you get to the end of your fourteen bar sequence and work back youl get to Lydian on bar 33 ( or Compass 33 since you are right and only bar to hear is quite mean as your leaning). I'll do myself a playalong !!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 17:16:26

Ricardo

NOT 14 bars, meaning 2 bars each mode???

I mean give your self like 16 bars for EACH MODE. Really give it time. Later you can change modes on every beat if you want, but first need to give some time to explore the mood. "The wish" by Mclaughlin live is 18:00 of just C Lydian!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 18:01:28

guitarbuddha

Actually no, but i was wrong too, it would be 24 ( one bar chord then on scale is two bars 1 to x and back is (x-1)times 2 7-1 times two times two is 24 .I suppose thats why its good to write things out clearly as I get a little confused trying to juggle too much in my head.

When I was writing out a sketch of how I might perform the excercised I noticed something which I think is quite interesting.

The remaining diatonic keys which are not in the excercise you suggested are Gb, B, E, A and D.

Now an andalucian cadence to B ( phrygian sharp ninth ) the C chord appears ( Em, D , C , B ) so we also have the option on B major and all of the phrygian options ( making the c chord the flat five substitute for F# dominant if we choose a major scale)

Also C appears often in flamenco as the substitute for A minor so thats por arriba taken car of too and why not throw in E major just for luck ( a very common change in pop music )

Theres also a C chord for por medio so thats taken care of.

Also the D major from our B phrygian could justify a D major scale ( althouth it would be D mixolidian in B phrygian.

Also there is the bitonal tritone substitute ( beloved of stravinsky ) for Gb. And we could see this is Gb phrygian( any variant ) or Gb major.

So there is a lot of mileage in the old C major chord.

Also in the list you suggested there is the relative minor of all of the assumed diatonic roots too which are not already described elsewhere in the list ( thats Dm, Gm, and Bb minor )

So thanks Romerito and Ricardo Ive now got a structure the next 20 years study of flamenco harmony !!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 19:04:36

Ron.M

quote:

Also the D major from our B phrygian could justify a D major scale ( althouth it would be D mixolidian in B phrygian.

Also there is the bitonal tritone substitute ( beloved of stravinsky ) for Gb. And we could see this is Gb phrygian( any variant ) or Gb major.

GB,
I honestly don't think Diego Amaya or Moraito know all of this...

BTW..Do you know Jim Opfer in Glasgow?

cheers

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 20:19:58

Ricardo

quote:

The remaining diatonic keys which are not in the excercise you suggested are Gb, B, E, A and D.

Now an andalucian cadence to B ( phrygian sharp ninth ) the C chord appears ( Em, D , C , B ) so we also have the option on B major and all of the phrygian options ( making the c chord the flat five substitute for F# dominant if we choose a major scale)

Also C appears often in flamenco as the substitute for A minor so thats por arriba taken car of too and why not throw in E major just for luck ( a very common change in pop music )

Theres also a C chord for por medio so thats taken care of.

So there is a lot of mileage in the old C major chord.

Also in the list you suggested there is the relative minor of all of the assumed diatonic roots too which are not already described elsewhere in the list ( thats Dm, Gm, and Bb minor )

Actually, I think you are reading too much into it, pulling out of context the point of the exercise. This is like a scale or mode under a microscope. (let's exclude modes of harmonic minor and melodic minor, and symmetric scales for the moment). There are only the 7 modal functions of the C chord as I listed. The examples you give Gb, BEAD, none contain a "C natural" except when "subbing" as you described, which implies accidentals, which is just changing key. In other words, in E major, when you encounter a C chord, you are borrowing from one of these 7 modes (let me restate, I am ignoring MELODIC MINOR options for the moment). So that C chord occurs borrowed from C lydian (related to E minor. You are borrowing the bVI chord). You will find the same for all your other examples, where you are simply borrowing from one of these 3 or 4 modes for any C major chord, or 3 modes for a minor chord.

At least once you have completed this exercise, you have all the possiblities of C. (Obviously you can do this exercise for any tone in the chromatic scale).

Later you can bring into the picture modes of melodic minor (lydian dom, super loc, etc) or harmonic minor, and do a similar exercise using the circle of 5ths, or scale degrees, your choice.

Hope that makes some sense???

Ricardo

PS I also read you now you want to do rhythm on a chord THEN play the scale the next bar. So you are trading off. OK cool, I guess I mean that you do as many bars of that combo as you want for EACH mode. Do it all day long until you are bored, THEN switch scales. Point being is to really get "inside" each mode.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 20:24:38

Ricardo

RE: chord list (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

GB,
I honestly don't think Diego Amaya or Moraito know all of this...

Actually they know perfectly well, and demonstrate that knowleadge with their falsetas and accompaniment. They just don't use the same abstract terminology as we are using. In fact, they probably don't even speak English that much. But they know do re mi fa sol la, etc. An example of tritone sub is in bulerias de jerez, por medio, when they go to the E chord for the cante melody. (Sub for Bb. Bb pulls to A in phrygian. E7 pulls to A in major or minor keys. So it is modal borrowing. E-Bb is a tritone. Tritone substitute.) They usually refer to weird chord substitutions as a "Cambio" which means change. But they understand full well the function and point of such chord usage.

Melodically their note choices are instinctual, but doing exercises like we have been describing, is a way to train or drill what will become "instinctual" ultimately for any musician.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 20:39:14

Ron.M

RE: chord list (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

In fact, they probably don't even speak English that much.

I beg to differ Ricardo!
I bet they do so frequently AND have constant arguments over the use of pluperfect verbs and the confusion between the preterite and imperfect over a copa or two of fino..

cheers

Ron

(It's OK man..only joking ).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2007 21:00:05

guitarbuddha

Yeah Ron Jim is a lovely guy and he helped me to get a start on flamenco with some inspiring lessons. Big heart and very generous with his time. A really warm communicative player, great sense of style. I haven't seen him for a while but I see he's active here.

He also let me play his maginficent guitar, he's a lucky man !!!

Thanks Ricardo for the criticism but I know all that . My last post contained several innacuries but that was because I was gushing with excitement cause I'm a total nerd and my girlfriend was hassling me for attention so I kind of rushed. To put some of those other options into practice I would provide myself with harmonic context to make sure my ear was making the right connection. The real point of the excercise for me is to be able to make all of the chromatic scale accessable to me with a knowledge of the implications can be inferred by the listener so that I can accentuate their exoticism as I feel it rather than just sounding like avante-garde bluff free jazz.

As for restricting your concept of key centre there are very very many common chord substitions which contain lots of diatonic notes but do not imply modulation they simply act as colours against the percieved key of the moment. Pivoting between the c chord and these more obscure scales needn't be percieved as modulation at all. Particularly as part of a large structure containing more simple relations to C. I hope they will allo my ear to stretch. Also I'm talking about all of the possibilaties of a C chord sound and not just functioning as a tonic.

I dont like to resttict myself theoretically as I think my late start and sluggish talent restrict me enough. Anyway I dont know why we are arguing over the implementation as Im pretty certain we both get whats going on. If I am improvising in C and I want to move to B phrygian because I know how it will sound and how to emphasise this in my note choice and perfromance I will know how , once I have worked like a b****** on this.

Note to Ron of you can do all of this by ear ( and I know a 60 female school music teacher who can ) you dont need to sweat it about the nomenclature, and all of this would seem pointless as you would be able to do it already ( like we can when we are singing ). Bit I cant (dammit!) .. yet ( and yes maybe never ). I hope that this kind of study will help me get there. I just hate it if I am improvising and try and cut loose harmonically and play something which is hideously inappropriate to what has gone before and kills my buzz as I wander around playing braindead chromaticisms trying to find my way to a cooler harmonic space.

Saying that maybe I should study Jazz standards..... I know i'll do that too. If I had the ear I would try and transcribe the improvisations of Nusrat Fati Ali Khan and then I would know loads more than I do now, but god that would be so hard and this theoretical route seems easier to me right now.

Anyway theres nothing better than semantic arguments drunk and with friends Especially when you suddenly realise its dawn. I think Ron, po-faced as you are you may have been a more than willing participant in a few of those.

A final question Ron, you'r not Ron Moore noted Jazz player, theory teacher to David Russel and the person who gave my my first ever guitar lesson ( I played Bach's partitat no.3 on an Ibanez destroyer) are you ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2007 1:15:59

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2007 3:06:01

Ricardo

quote:

Also I'm talking about all of the possibilaties of a C chord sound and not just functioning as a tonic.

I dont like to resttict myself theoretically as...

Yeah, I know that is why I am trying to clearify a little bit. I know that you understand, I don't mean to sound patronizing or arguementative or criticizing, just so others that follow might be on page with us, but I see a couple potential confusions that might result, so I am just trying to be clear.

So I know that there are different functions for your chords, and different context, but that to me is the BIG PICTURE. The way it all ends up sounding relative to your piece as a whole, or Alegrias, or the key of "E major" or "G# phrygian" etc. I know. But the point of my exercise with the modes is much simpler. I mean for you to extract that little piece, that little passing chord moment from the big picture, and blow it out of proportion. Make it TONIC for while, and give your self time to explore the possiblities. Then when you go back to your context, or your "big picture", you will have a more educated, and hopefully intuitive, set of options. The ultimate goal being you relate a scale or mode to that brief moment that you are very familiar with and like the sound of. It might seem endless, but focus on those 7 modes at first covers quite a bit of ground.

I know that in the "big picture", adding accidentals are "colors" relative to the KEY, but again, that is why I used the term "borrowing". The colors have those feelings because of the key you are borrowing from. I don't mean you modulate the key of the piece literally, but when you zero in on the "colors", you realize WHY exactly certain "colors" (accidentals to the key, or passing chords from other keys) have certain feelings in context.

OK, just wanted that clear, so we are not really argueing, just my point of view is to FOCUS on the little pieces with my exercise recommendation.

quote:

Good point, as is with the case of Cnat and Gnat in the key of E that make a C chord or bVI and lead to the V or B. Or, C-E-G in G# phrygian-the relative phrygian to E major. You can make all kinds of observations about those chords

OK case in point. I work at first, simplest option, lowest common denominator sounds the best. Personal taste and style dictates options in the end, but here is my take on those chords. In Key of E major, the C chord is borrowed directly from E minor. Just focusing on that chord, I think C lydian. Comming from 4#'s going to 1#. You also have other options like C ionian, C mixo (one flat), but they will sound "weird" at first because you have moved so far away from the number of # you started with. Try it if you don't believe me at first. Cphrygian dominant, is even furthur away (4 flats). So for me, the choice if obvious. And you understand why after you move through the modes in the fashion I described earlier. The other choices are very "dark" and drastic jumps in "color".

Of course you can do that deliberately, maybe you like it real "dark", and after you have focused on and tonicized that poor little passing C chord you will have the tools and the personal taste to make the best choice. If I were going for melodic minor modes, I have C lydian dominant as first choice (G melodic minor) or for harmonic minor, E harmonic minor. Both my choices for the same reason above-more sharps. Now those minor scales are part of a whole different modal exercise, but I just wanted to mention them to anyone interested. Later you have your synthetic scales, like Henrik's Harmonic major, symmetric, whole tone chromatic. All cases have "lowest common denominator" option like I am describing. But I really like to start small and easy. If your music uses weird scales constantly, it will sound "wierd" or ambiguous.

Now the C chord in G# phrygian. WARNING< NERD MODE ACTIVE. (Assuming it does not go to B chord then work back to G# phrygian. In that case, see above options). Well, you are creating a chord based on enharmonic spellings (you can't have Gnat, because then you would have changed your tonic! So the chord is B#EFX). That is where you discover the circular property of keys, and why my mode exercise stops and starts on lydian/locrian. You have to becareful not to "bite your own tail". Music need not be so complex. Anyway, it is a wierd sound in context, but I would definately think of using synthetic scales on it. G# phrygian Dominant almost works, but you need that raised 7th, a common flamenco phrygian sound. I have heard it called "double harmonic", an arabic sounding scale (G#AB#C#D#EFX). Perhaps in "context", using an Am7 chord (CEG is in there) would be better to "pull" toward G# better, but it is weak. But that is my take on it anyway.

Oh one more "special function of a C chord" in G# phrygian, would be to set up a modulation, briefly, to B phrygian. Minor third modulation is common in modern flamenco, thanks to the extra note in spanish phrygian (B and B#, where the B# can function as C natural). But modally, you can see it is nothing so fancy since B phrygian relates to E major, the relative major of G# phrygian, the same way. It is "borrowed" from E minor, so again, good ol C lydian is option 1.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2007 6:25:06

Ron.M

quote:

you'r not Ron Moore

You jest, GB!

(Ah memories of Larry Marshall's "One O'Clock Gang)

Fraid not...I'm just yet another bedroom strummer interested in Flamenco..

These musical theory posts just boggle my brain like Doit's occasional mad posts on Genetics..

cheers

Ron

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2007 11:06:29

guitarbuddha

RE: chord list (in reply to Ricardo

Yeah Ricardo. I suppose I buried the central point that I was trying to make was that some of these relationships that seem far out from a cycle of fifths point of view are actuall the simplest one for flamenco harmony. You know a C chord in the key of B phrygian dominant is the same as F in por arriba. Also the progression Am C Dm/F E that everyon plays in Solea the C chord sound has a central role ( its actin as the dominant of an F6 chord as im sure you know ) in the STOCK harmony for flamenco.

So I guess what Im saying is this that you are right. Introducing these substitutions into a systematic excercise on diatonic possibilities might muddy the waters. This is because you set up the expectatin that the heirarchy or oral relationships is based on the position of the perceived diatonic root to C in the cycle of fifths . In that context changing direction would be confusing.

Now that excerise would cover a lot of ground and give you tons of option for especially for Alegrias and major key styles.

Now a lot of the key relatinships that I am more interseted in right now are those which relate the more arabic/eastern music that I was listening to when I concieved of the excercise. Although from a western tonal point of view they are pretty far out they are pretty simple once you have led the ear to expect these modal relationships that are more in common in flamenco. I was talking to a composer and he said that there was no modulation in music with drones because the drone was fixed. I totally disagree . The positiomn of the drone ( tonic, dominant, flat ninth like open E high string in Eb bulerias) compared to the percieved tonal centre can vary tremendously whcih is why when I listen to this music new harmonic worlds are opening up all the time. So the thing that connects the modes is one fixed pitch not the cycle of fifths at all.

Now the C to B major in this contect is not so distant. Just two steps C as approach chord to B in B phrygian and then B major as an ( in this case exotic!!! ) colour against a prevalently modal background.

Now you can even play B lydian ( the E sharp sound super funky) after youve established the ionian sound. Now when you slip back to c major it feels really very smooth to me.

Now Ive just jammed that it felt really quite satisfying.
Cmajor over a C pedal for a bit
C lydian augmented second ( that is to say E harmonic minor or B phrygian ) for a bit
Drop the pedal to B and then B major, then lydian if you want that bite
Then back to C major and a C pedal ( I tried to use the B as a pedal against C but that seemed a bit much ).

Not so odd to my ear but I like these sounds.

One think that I agree with you about is that if the change in harmonic goalposts is unexpected or unprepared or appears during a pattern of tonal relationships then the piece starts to sound like pastiche. Also the other way rount lots of modal relationships and then suddenly two five ones. Now I havent heard a lot of this in flamenco but it is rife in 'fingerstyle'
recordings by the likes of Tim Sparks. I think that is what you want me to avoid.
And its good advice.

Harmonic resources have to be set out fairly early in a piece and be pretty consistant or the result sounds semi random and structureless. Kind of emperors new clothes music .

C
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2007 16:19:37

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 4 2007 19:12:30
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2007 17:09:44

Ricardo

quote:

I was talking to a composer and he said that there was no modulation in music with drones because the drone was fixed. I totally disagree .

Actually, he is correct IMO. But you have to make a distinction of the kind of music you are talking about. MODAL music, like truely modal with a drone, you TUNE the instrument to the drone. You stick to the mode. If you try to modulate, it will literally sound "bad" and out of tune. Like the problem everyone has with tuning his G string, well you don't have that "problem" in truely modal music. You tune to only one scale, and you stick to is so it all sounds "sweet".

Equal tempered tuning was set up for the whole purpose organizing the modes into the chromatic scale so you can have tonal harmony. Western instruments can "mimic" modal music, but it is sort of fake. The way to truely immitate it, or make up for the tuning dilema, is to have static unchanging harmony. Just ONE chord or drone. If you try to modulate, you create ambiguity, or worse, loose the point of the "mode". That is sort of what my modal exercise gets at, and why you should not change to early, get used to the sound and mood. Western tonal music is all about the 5th relations and that is how you get "dominant" chords and keys and such. On equal temp instruments, there is no real sound distinction between D dorian, and ii in C major. But in truely modal music (which would not use our mode names anyway) it actually is DIFFERENT.

So anyway, flamenco has modal ideas in the singing, but the guitar kill the modality by by introducing tonal harmonies. For this reason, I think of it as a "hybrid", eastern ideas mixed with western ideas. Fandangos, phrygian tonic goes to relative major. For eastern minded folks, modality is greatly disturbed by going to major. For western minded, they can't hear phrygian as tonic. It sounds like it "hangs on the V in minor, never resolves proper". For flamenco fans, it is the combination that is the beauty.

In modern music the world is shrinking and you see modal and tonal music mixing all the time. Miles Davis "modal vamps", now mixing with ii-V-I. Shakti is an Indian group that plays modal music with western instruments like guitars and mandolins, Violin, etc. Lots of mixing, so we are getting used to different sounds and approaches. Point is, if you want truely modal, you shouldn't mix. Truely tonal music doesn't really have a "vamp in Dorian", it is just a lot of measures of the ii chord, until later it resolves where ever.

Anyway, just some other thoughts.

quote:

So the thing that connects the modes is one fixed pitch not the cycle of fifths at all.

True. But the point of my exercise WAS to keep the drone or pitch fixed, AND the order I suggested is VERY important. The point being the MOOD or color, or feeling of the modes RELATIVE TO EACH OTHER, based on the static drone C, is directly related to the circle of 5ths. At least for GUITAR and other tonal instruments.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2007 0:49:14

guitarbuddha

Yup we're talking about mixing.
The harmonium is tempered.
Lots of jazz modal stuff really never gets to Ionian.

Its great that there are so many ways to look at music

Cheers,
David.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2007 0:57:41

Ricardo

One more thing. I explain modes by "vamps" too, to help folks get their ear around things. For example, D7-G vamp, or C-D7-G, or C-D7-C-G, are progressions in "G major". You could use a variety of scales for those chords, and still call it "G major".

But G ionian, would not have "D7". So Gmaj7-Cmaj7-Bm7-Cmaj7-Gmaj7 for example is G ionian, and you need to stick the those notes in the scale. G-C only also. G-Bm7, G-am7, etc all Ionian vamps, distinguished from G major as a key. Am-Dm-E, is key of A minor, and you change Scales on E obviously. But Am-G, or Am-F, or Am-G-F-G, are examples of A aeolian vamps. Distinguished from the key of "A minor". Those kind of vamps helps folks get their ear around modes verses relative keys.

And later you realize the importance of rhythm when vamp on more than one chord, so as to drive home the tonic. Again, the difference between Farucca and Tangos has to do with how the rhythm helps resolve to tonic, be it a minor key tonic, or a phrygian tonic. Just some examples. One thing bugs me in Flamenco is when guitarists Resolve Granainas to E minor, killing the B phrygian modality. That is the only "fandangos form" I know of that does it. Oh, Bamberas too I think.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2007 1:20:41

guitarbuddha

Oh I do get the point of your excercise and the ordering, Ive been doing it.
Im also doing other things.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2007 1:25:24

Ricardo

No don't do other things, only what I say!

Just kidding man!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2007 1:27:29

guitarbuddha

Yeah there are lots of intersting ways of establishing modes which keep them distinct and modal sounding. One of the ways of establishing an Ionian sound is two five one, no ? But yeah, some of the others have less baggage.

I agree that if we avoid the ones which are commonly used in classical and jazz they sound more modal.

Im just looking at some Luys Milan cause you made me think back to when I played lute ( badly ) at college and how much I love those chord sequences that you mentioned,and how Ionian can 1500-1561ound exotic when the tonic is approached differently.

His tutor El Maestro was intended to teach modes to Vuhuela players of the sixteenth century. It contains what is amongst the most beautiful music ever written for plucked strings. I think I'll read through them again.

Thanks for the suggestion. ( yes master I obey lol.

You make me embarassed about my lack of knowledge of flamenco though, I dont even know what a Bamberas is, except what you just said.

P.S Wouldnt many theorists describe those vamps as bi-tonal ?
Although we can usually tell the home chord by the 'weight' in the melody.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2007 1:40:15
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post