Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: how to contact juan martin?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

JBASHORUN

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

And on the other hand, I heared a rumba "Lya" played on the disc "la nueva escuela de la guitarra flamenca" and this composition is very simple and easy to play but thouthad times nicer than all compositions on jeronimos dics together.

Hey Doit, that Rumba is by Vicente Cortes, and I'd agree that its simple but effective... one of my favorite rumbas, even if it does sound a bit like elevator music!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2006 12:28:44

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

Juan Martin is Godlike and I love him!

not as much as tluczek does!

Doitsujin, i definatley can see your point with jeronimos album to a certain point(maybe it doesnt flow musically as well a some albums), but you cant tell me you dont love the buleria. But then again i think its like canazares, theres no in between, you either love it or you dont. But yeah i have to admit its not an album i listen to every day.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2006 13:04:19

Miguel de Maria

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to tluczek

Tluczek,
yes, we've heard this story before, but what new are you going to add to it? I think everyone knows his contributions to worldwide flamenco education, and I think every advanced guitarist can plainly see what he can and can't do.

I don't think Juan would like to be compared to someone who has only been playing flamenco about 5-6 years, and that only part-time among many other musical styles. If you look carefully at my joke about the rumba album, you will see that it's not an insult at all. You chose to see an insult into that and then chose to compare my work that of a 2-year player.

You can't expect a bunch of anonymous players to pay homage to someone with mediocre skills such as your idol. Most of us would rather focus on people who have put in the time to really learn how to play well, or are pushing the boundaries of the instrument in some way. But keep fighting your personal war; I'm sure your master would be appreciative of your efforts.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2006 15:46:25

koella

Hey, why don't we all do tluczek a big favor and make a happy ending to this thread.

Ok, I go first :

I LOVE Juan Martin !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2006 18:00:38

sabo

Hey folks,

would u allow me to play the whistle of peace?

I really regret it to have opened this thread, i was just asking about email, not about rating or fighting, peace everybody, its a matter of taste, exactly like food and other things on earth, we dont all love the same things or else it would be boring life, no?

So lets accept the fact that we humans have different tastes and mind sets and enjoy that instead of fighting about it

Best Regards to all,
sabo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2006 20:32:52

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to koella

Ok ill go second:

I LOVE Juan Martin !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2006 22:54:11

Ricardo

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to sabo

quote:

we dont all love the same things or else it would be boring life, no?

So lets accept the fact that we humans have different tastes and mind sets and enjoy that instead of fighting about it

Ok sure, but hopefully you dont' imply that anyone is allowed to NOT like Paco de Lucia...right?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2006 23:02:42

tluczek

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

If you look carefully at my joke about the rumba album, you will see that it's not an insult at all. You chose to see an insult into that and then chose to compare my work that of a 2-year player.

Anyways, you showed your attitude to Juan later on, so I guess I wasn't wrong interpeting it as an insult. I wanted to comment on your playing the same way you do with Juan - how does it feel when you put hard work into that and then someone criticize it?
He's a professional musician and has his own style - pure old-school flamenco - many people here prefer technique, but Juan chose to go more into feeling and aire with the standard playing without pushing boundaries. Lots of people in the world prefer Juan's style and lots of them don't have brain damage, so you shouldn't insult him. DOT. That's all, no more comments on Juan any more in this thread or any other. If you guys want, I can upload his Tarantas video?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 9:20:33

koella

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to tluczek

quote:

ORIGINAL: tluczek
That's all, no more comments on Juan any more in this thread or any other.

What do you mean by this ?
I dont think it's up to you to decide that.
This foro is a democracy you know.

Btw. I would love to hear that tarantas.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 9:40:08

sabo

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

we dont all love the same things or else it would be boring life, no?

Ok sure, but hopefully you dont' imply that anyone is allowed to NOT like Paco de Lucia...right?

lol, ricardo i was just trying to imply that I opened the thread. I didn't know it will turn into such a "cyber"-fight
I personally love paco de lucia but I am sure, there are many humans who don't listen to flamenco or jazz and won't like the music of paco. So there is just no point to fight about it. In the time of writing a thread to fight about this, we could do more useful things ;)

As a matter of fact, I live in a country where it is hard to find people listening to flamenco at all, in the city where I am living there are no flamenco teachers at all.
It was funny to find a flamenco school here, and when I contacted them I found out they teach only dancing and I was asking about a teacher, so they offered me to play for them LOL :D

So I can only be so grateful to Juan Martin that he is publishing such a good teaching material which allows me to learn this art, which I like very much. I did have a good experience in the past with classical guitar, which allowed me to continue learning from his material alone. Its still hard to be without a teacher, but other artists didn't care to publish this art to the whole world and they teach just selected students. From my personal point of view art is not just a business where an artists seeks only making fans and more $$$

Best regards,
Sabo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 10:38:09

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to sabo

What a coincindence, guess who was on the television over here today, yep Juan Martin. I think hes touring over here atm. The show he was on is an arts show where they do small segments on different arts.

When the host started to talk about flamenco and said that there was going to be a guitarist playing a little bit i got all excited in anticipation of who(because over here on commercial television we hardly ever see flamenco). Once i remember seeing tomatito on the latin grammy awards and it really blew me away, but thats another story.

O.k ill be honest when the host said Juan Martin i was really let down, but then i thought nah, give it a chance because people on the foro people are going on about how he brought flamenco to the world and every thing hes done. So i watched with an open mind, he played you guessed it 'la feria'.

Now please dont think this to be a personal attack, its purely objective. The truth is the playing was sloppy at best and really, really ,really,really, really ,really,really, really ,really,really, really ,really boring.

Even the host who knew nothing about flamenco was noticbly unimpressed, because prior to Juans performance he had just introduced him as one of the best three guitarists in the world(o.k, maybe he didnt warm up enough beforehand).

I really think Juan Martin misrepresents Flamenco and claims on national t.v to be the best but nothing could be further from the truth. I would even go as far as to say he does flamenco a great miservice because if that was the first time someone would hear flamenco they would probably say that was crap and assume all flamenco to be the same.

Im really sorry to all the Juan disciples but please, wake up and smell the coffee. Its not so much what he does but what he claims to be.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 11:11:46

duende

what does he claim to be?

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 11:46:39

JBASHORUN

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Guest

quote:

Its not so much what he does but what he claims to be.

Its not so much what HE claims to be, but what OTHER PEOPLE claim that he is.

If you're introduced as "the best Flamenco guitarist in the world", obviously its gonna be hard to live up to that.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 12:30:26

Jon Boyes

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to duende

quote:

ORIGINAL: duende
what does he claim to be?

His bio says: "A celebrated virtuoso of the flamenco guitar who has been voted into the top three guitarists in the world by US magazine Guitar Player"

His bio is here: http://www.flamencovision.com/home.html

I don't think that's quite the same as making the claim himself, but nevertheless it seems to wind people up as its the bit that always gets quoted, as it did in Dominic's TV prog above.

That vote was from Guitar Player a few decades ago, as I recall. It has to be seen in context of course - how many flamenco guitarists could the average Guitar Player reader actually name back then?

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 12:51:04

tluczek

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Guest

quote:

Im really sorry to all the Juan disciples but please, wake up and smell the coffee. Its not so much what he does but what he claims to be.

You're exaggerating, he plays these rumbas to show off for the non-flamencos. Do you think he can't play such simple La Feria without being sloppy?
Maybe he tried to play it too fast or sthg. I saw some performances which were really weak, but what he showed in Poland at his solo concert was very impressing, and I don't mean the rumbas, but e.g. Tarantas, Rondena, Zambra - this is his best stuff. Not many guitarists can go on the stage solo, play for 700 people for 1h30m keeping their constant attention. They bought all the CD's (over 100) and gave him standing ovations (even in the middle of the show after his Zambra). The playing was surely non-sloppy, he had some bad notes appearing but was able to hide it behind great feeling and his strong style of playing.

Personally, I listen to many flamenco guitarists, enjoy mostly Manolo Franco, pure flamenco pieces by Vicente, Moraito, Pepe Habichuela, Gerardo Nunez, Serranito, and of course Paco (older albums mostly).
But I also have times when it's too much for me, and I switch to Sabicas, Diego del Gastor and Juan mostly for the specific aire they can create, which is completely different and I don't compare these players with the previously mentioned.

I'll post the video on Tuesday. Tomorrow I'm organizing Rafael Cortes concert in Poznań, if anyone is near, I invite them to join the show, there are still some tickets left.
The info is on tour organizer's webpage. I'm doing the concert in Poznan:
http://www.flamenco.art.pl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 14:36:20

Mark2

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Jon Boyes

quote:

That vote was from Guitar Player a few decades ago, as I recall. It has to be seen in context of course - how many flamenco guitarists could the average Guitar Player reader actually name back then?

Uh, three-Carlos Montoya, Charo, and Juan Martin

i think both Montoya and charo won the award as well. To be fair, at some point, PdL won five times. Flamenco coverage in GP has always been lacking.

This brings up another point-20 years ago it was much easier to be a hack flamenco guitarist than it is today. There was no internet, few lp's were available, and many people outside spain had not ever heard the music. Today, you can you tube the greatest players ever, so when you pull out your guitar to play, you could be playing for people who know what Tomatito sounds like. Whole different ball game. Flamenco guitar does not have the same impact in many cases that it did back then.

I've seen Juan play, and he can play for dance, for cante, and play decent to good flamenco in all the forms. that was also 20 years ago-I have no idea what he sounds like today. That publicity he got from GP and the profile his manager has been able to create for him is a financial blessing, but also a heavy burden to carry around.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 14:39:57

Miguel de Maria

Hmmmm.... "Old School", played hard as hell, yet still managed to play well. Let's see Sabicas, Paco Pena for a couple. So let's hear some more excuses.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 16:55:31

gspot

Hi Newbie Here

I Like Juan Martin, I Also Own His Instructional On Dvd So I Could Learn Some Flamenco,
Maybe To Some Of You Elites Here May Think He's Not Good As Your Peers,But From A Beginner Point Of View He Sounds Impressive.
The Only Available Instructional Dvd Available At The Time Of Purchase Was Juan's And Graff Martinez,So I Bought Juan's Cos He Sound Spanish...innit

Now If Miguel De Maria Instructional Dvd Was Available I Would Have Bought That Too
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 20:11:25

Ron.M

quote:

"the best Flamenco guitarist in the world"

= Manitas de Plata of course!

Everybody knows that for Heaven's Sake!!

ie...Don't believe the publicity....

Juan Martin is just a working musician.
If folk think that he's fantastic, then it's not fair to tap them on the shoulder and put them off.

Thats just being an ass IMO.

Sure..speak to them, understand where they are coming from and maybe direct them to other things to listen to, if you reckon that it would enrich their lives...
There are some things I quite like about Juan's playing.
But there are many other guitarists I'd much rather listen to...
OK.. there are "friends" who have got to know him personally and have obviously enjoyed the humanity and personality of his company, in a private drink and conversation with the man...no doubt I'd enjoy it too..
But his "public" face seems to me, to be too contrived IMO and very this..very hesitant "eh-spanish"...(how joo say dis word in Engliss...) kind of stuff kinda gets on my nerves, (especially when Paco Peña spoke very good English) ... that I sorta feel he is not representing Flamenco, say as Ricardo knows it from returning from Jerez a few months ago and mixing with all kinds of younger aficionados and performers...
I think Juan likes being the "distanced Foreigner" who can only play the "real" Flamenco and smilingly says..."Because iss een my Blood...No one who is not truly Espanish can really feel de true passion of dis Emusic".

Maybe I'm wrong here, but that's just my opinion.
I think his image is stuck in the 60's style of "Amazing Spanish Flamenco Guitarist on BBC1 Tonight" on the Michael Parkinson show on black and white TV, with a suit and frilly lace cuffs on his shirt
But if he's making a success out of that, then good luck to him...

Wish working musicians Good Luck..
Don't wish working musicians Bad Luck.
If you want to be up there, then do it off your own steam.
Not by putting down others.

That's my opinion anyway...

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 20:16:32

gspot

ok back to practice with Juan i got years to catch up...cyaaaa
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 20:16:54

Miguel de Maria

Ron's right in that Juan is a working musician, nothing more, nothing less. His playing abilities are about midway between the true virtuosos such as Vicente Amigo and the amateur who is messing around with one bulerias for his whole playing career. The different with Juan is that he has been phenomenally successful in his career, and has been promoted to a high degree. When you put yourself on that pedestal, you will be judged accordingly. When you are in the spotlight, all of your faults are there for the world to see. So be it.

He has a Spanish accent which seems a bit phony to those of us who have been to Spain. The claim that he is one of the 3 best guitarists in the world rings hollow when most of us personally know at least 3 better guitarists in our own cities. The criticism comes with the territory. My joke about the rumbas was nothing more than jokes that my flamenco friends make in my presence... but I beg to differ, Ron, when the Juanistas want to impose their strange version of reality upon this board then I'm going to be opening my mouth to reality. Nothing against Juan, a fellow working musician who has a few years on me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 21:03:15

Ron.M

quote:

when the Juanistas want to impose their strange version of reality upon this board

I agree Mike...this is a discussion group and anybody can say what their opinions are, within limits of decency or being insulting.
A free discussion benefits everybody IMO.

cheers

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 21:10:23

koella

Well said Miguel, I agree with that.

But I liked this statement most

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria
The claim that he is one of the 3 best guitarists in the world rings hollow when most of us personally know at least 3 better guitarists in our own cities.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 21:15:33

Tomás Jiménez

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Ron.M

I came here to Uk in August 2004 to try to live here permanently and send my children to school here.
I went to an estate agent to find out the price of houses. The tall slim young English man asked me for my phone number so that he could contact me with houses in my price range. I gave him my card.
He said " Tomás Jiménez-- you Spanish?"
I said yes.
He said Oh" you don't seem very Spanish"
"No, indeed ", I laughed. Well I love it here and I've been coming here on and off a lot"
He gave me his card.
"Rubén Martinez" , I said--- " You spanish?"
"Yes" he laughed a lot.

We had a nice conversation about what our host country expects us to be and how even we seem to learn to go along with that expectation as we live here.
The truth we concluded was that most Spanish people are not some funny little waiter called Manuel from the TV series Faulty Towers ( which I love!).
We are now in the 21st century Europeans, tall ( not me) good looking, inelligent, professional and we speak English rather well.

So Ron I want to say to you thank you very much because in the context of this thread you have kindly indicated a better and more relaistic view of us Spanish. Thank you.

Saludos

Tomás

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 22:55:34

Escribano

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Tomás Jiménez

Tomás,
Vivo en España, en Andalucía. Aquí, intento no estar un inglés típico. Ahora mis vecinos son mi familia y mi acento es mejor diario. Tienes mi país y tengo tuyo Qué intercambio. Bravo Europa!

Soy alto, inteligente y guapo

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2006 23:26:37

RE: how to contact juan martin? (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Its not so much what HE claims to be, but what OTHER PEOPLE claim that he is

Yes that argument always turns up, and it does have some truth to it. But the fact is Juan Martin doesnt stop his publicist from using this misinformation to promote him and sell tickets.

I just think that what Paco De Lucia has done over the past 40 years or so with flamenco, getting recognition for flamenco guitar as a legitimate artform and solo performance intrument, from the classical world and other prestigious music intitutions gets undermined when an artist like Juan Martin turns up, plays a few boring rumbas, and profesesses to be one of 'the best'.

Ok i will admit i havent seen heaps of his material (mainly rumbas)and everyone has an off day so maybe the tv performance was just a bad gig for him, and it does take a fair while to warm up properly. Ill watch this tarantas upload when its put up.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2006 0:52:37

seanm

Personally, I think a lot of folks impose too much misinformation about Juan Martin. I had a workshop with him a few months back spead over 3 days. He's a really great guy, put on no 'aires' about his talent and came across as a solid, experienced player who was more interested in the art of flamenco (i.e. working with singers and dancers) than much else. He seemed to know and could play pretty much any style/compas you could think of and was very generous and genuine in his with his interest in teaching. As for where these quotes come from, it shouldn't matter. If you've never met the guy, you should be a bit more diplomatic before casting such sweeping judgements.

Check out this tidbit about Chicuelo ... you see this info everywhere because it was in all his hamonia mundi press releases

"Thanks to a rapidly manifest talent, he was taken on as a pupil by both Manolo Sanlúcar and his brother, Isidro Muñoz. "

And this is what Chicuelo says about that in an interview...

"They've got you as star pupil of the Sanlúcars, of both Manolo and Isidro?"

"That is a mistake in the press release the recod label did. I was the first one to complain, but anyway, I suppose they just wanted to make me sound more important. But it's not true, ..."

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2006 14:02:03

Georg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

The claim that he is one of the 3 best guitarists in the world rings hollow when most of us personally know at least 3 better guitarists in our own cities.

A few weeks ago, there was also this discussion with "the best guitars".

When I hear something like this I can't take those people serious, since they seem to know to little of what they are talking, or they try to decieve people.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2006 14:41:19

Doitsujin

Juan Martin is an interesting phenomena. Like Ottmar Liebert.

But dont understand me wrong. I mean hes good, but nothing special. Thew out tons of traditional flamenco guitarmethods. So everybody knows him, coz of that. Hes also like Graf Martinez who did the same. Hes also no special guitarrist, but is known coz of his material. That not bad. I learned much from both in past.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2006 17:02:37

XXX

JM himself is not the problem

Hey, why do you compare him to Ottmar?! Ottmar is a very talented flamenco guitarist!!!

@Guxmux: The discussion (if its the one im remembering) wasnt about who has the best guitar. If i understand you right you have misunderstood me. If I understand you wrong or its a different topic your mentioning forget about it.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2006 17:19:30
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote